PDA

View Full Version : Fingers and Set Driven Keys

Morganette
10-05-2007, 06:23 PM
The animator for a project I am working on has requested that the fingers be set driven keys instead of control objects. I think I know how to do this but .. not really. Do I have to load the hand control then key each joint seperately to curl in?

Is this even a good way to animate hands?

Gnimmel
10-09-2007, 03:29 PM
You can keyframe the whole finger in one go. Load the driver with your extra attribute, somthing like Curl_Index etc. and load all the index finger joints into the Driven. As long as your joints are aligned correctly so that the same rotation attribute needs to be keyed to curl the finger, you can select all the index finger joints and then select the correct rotation attribute in the driven window. Select the driver attribute and press key. Now change the driver attribute to the curl value and pose your finger joints. Press key again and you ahve a simple set driven key controled finger.

As to if this is a good way to animate, it's really up to the animator and he wanted this set up. Personally I would find it too limiting, but it depends on what the character is doing, or if he's in the background etc.

What I would normally do is have both types of controls. If you double up the finger joints so each joint has 2 joints instead of 1, then 1 can be set up to use the SDK and the other can have a animation control. This way you can rough out simple animation with the SDK's and then fine tweak if needed with the full control.

Thanks,

Richard

Morganette
10-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks.

I got it figured out the other day. It's just a time consuming task. : )

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2007, 04:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.