PDA

View Full Version : Distance Constraint

Starkz
04-08-2003, 05:34 AM
Hey guys, I've posted this one in a couple of other forums, so apolgies if you've come across it before.

I'm trying to create/write a Distance Contraint in Maya (like the one found in XSI). to be able to contrain one object to a certain distance from another. (e.g. in a radius).

you can easily defin ethe distance between two objects using distanceDimension, but I have found no way of contraining this.

any idea's?

Buexe
04-08-2003, 08:01 AM
How about using orient/point constraints and using the offset attribute?

Starkz
04-08-2003, 09:04 AM
can you explain what you mean by this? by creating any point constraint you wouldn't be able to move the contrainted object at all.

I still want to be able to move the constrainted object, just not outside a shpere of influence - or distance.

Buexe
04-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Well, suppose you constrain two objects together via a point constraint. Select the pointConstraint Node in the Channel Box. There you will see Attributes called Offset X Offset Y and Offset Z amongst others. You can use those to "translate" your constrained object since the Original translate values are locked in the transform node by the pointConstraint.
I hope this helps
Buexe

PS: Another approach would be to constraint a parent (group)node instead of the object itself

Starkz
04-09-2003, 12:09 AM
Hey Buexe, first off, thanks for replying. nice to get some help.

as for the constraint, the only problem with the method you discribed is that I want to be able to move the constrained object in the viewport, not just the channel box.

and, if I do put limits on the values in the channel box to limit the constrained object to a certain distance from the other, it gives it a cube shaped influence, not a sphere of influence which is what I'm after.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.