PDA

View Full Version : Cinema 4D as a edit/effects suite 3D package

el_diablo
10-05-2007, 07:09 AM
I've been looking at C4D for some time for a specific purpose. I have a MacPro that is mainly a edit/effects station with Apple Final Cut Studio 2/Adobe CS3 Master suite and I would like to add a 3D program to it. The basic use will be TV stuff like flying titles maybe some 3D stage stuff and prolly mograph stuff. Maybe some volumetric elements?

I would like some opinions on C4D base with mograph, as pertained to a forementioned purpose. Does it lack something? etc...

rsquires
10-05-2007, 07:32 AM
I've been looking at C4D for some time for a specific purpose. I have a MacPro that is mainly a edit/effects station with Apple Final Cut Studio 2/Adobe CS3 Master suite and I would like to add a 3D program to it. The basic use will be TV stuff like flying titles maybe some 3D stage stuff and prolly mograph stuff. Maybe some volumetric elements?

I would like some opinions on C4D base with mograph, as pertained to a forementioned purpose. Does it lack something? etc...

First off let me say that it's nice to see the devil frequenting the forums. And of course he/she had to be a mac user. Nice one.

Check out my website and all of my most recent work is C4D.

http://web.mac.com/rsquires/iWeb/reel/home.html

I can't say enough how much I recommend C4D for motion graphics. It works fantastically on the mac and renders like smoke, especially with an 8 core rig. For what you are looking for I'd say it was a no brainer.

I am not sure what you get in the base package, but I know although I don't do a great deal of character animation the Mocca package has cloth which is really useful for ribbons flags etc. Dynamics is ok, but a dedicted plugin by Remotion called Silver bullet works very well and I use it now instead of the Dynamics module. Of course AR is essential and I'd say BodyPaint as well. It's probably better to get the Studio package if you can afford it

I know you'll do the right thing prince of darkness

all the best

rich

Byla
10-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Cinema, od verzije 10, je prva liga kad trazis software za mograph. Tako da, samo uzmi in uci se.

Cinema has to be number one choice for professionals like you.

Activator
10-05-2007, 11:38 AM
I just switched to C4D after an 8 year stint using Lightwave 3D for broadcast motion graphics, and I couldn't be happier!

C4D is so much faster to work with, renders SO fast (I was actually able to SELL two Mac G5's I kept around to use as renderfarms with LW.), and the Advanced Renderer gives me as good, or better, quality renders.

My ONLY gripe with C4D as compared to LW is crappy C4D motion blur. The latest LW 9.2/9.3 has a super-smooth, "realistic" motion blur that kicks butt.

wonky
10-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Hi, all out TV work in 3D is done in C4D. Our site is a bit out of date but still has lots of full broadcast animation stuff from character animation to spinny logos. We are a mac only company and use FCP and AE along with C4D. I cannot recommend it enough.

See many examples here:

http://www.streetmonkey.tv

govinda
10-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Cinema 4D's big strength is that it gets out of your way, technically speaking, and leaves you more space and time to be a designer. The ability to get good results quickly is why it spread like wildfire in the motion graphics community, where designers who don't care about the vagaries of phong vs. oren-nayer can get broadcast-quality stuff on time and within budget. Competing packages are too often going to break the schedule and the budget, and I say this having worked with producers who literally curse when they have to hire Maya people.

But whether or not to adopt C4D may depend on something completely divorced from the app itself: your local market. If you have your own shop, you can decide without delay for yourself, and only worry about how many other C4D users there are when you go looking for help (for example, if you need character animation).

But if you're a freelancer or hope to work with other companies, you have to consider what application your market is using from the very start. Some markets aren't as Cinema-savvy as others, whereas Max and Maya seem to have adherents even in the smaller villages in Lapland.

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2007, 06:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.