PDA

View Full Version : render passes

varomix
04-08-2003, 04:19 AM
can anyone tell us please how to do the render passes in maya please, I can't get them to work

tenx

stunndman
04-08-2003, 09:53 AM
i'm pretty sure you have read the chapter on Render Layer/Pass Control in the manual over and over again

maybe you can be a bit more specific where exactly you are stuck

tripNfall
04-08-2003, 07:10 PM
One thing to remember is that render passes only works when
you batch render.

tNf

alexx
04-08-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by stunndman
i'm pretty sure you have read the chapter on Render Layer/Pass Control in the manual over and over again

ts ts :) *grin*

Andrei2k
04-10-2003, 05:00 AM
oh cmon everyone on here knows that the render passes especially the shadow passes cant seem to work and the use background shader technique has to be use. Why doesnt someone that HAS gotten it to work just prove to us dumber one how to then?! :annoyed:

jeremybirn
04-10-2003, 05:15 AM
The shadow pass works OK, it outputs the shadows into the alpha channel (not the RGB) of the images it produces. It seems to work OK when you invert the alpha channel and multiply the beauty pass with it, or use it as an "over" layer in Shake.

-jeremy

alexx
04-10-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Andrei2k
oh cmon everyone on here knows that the render passes especially the shadow passes cant seem to work and the use background shader technique has to be use. Why doesnt someone that HAS gotten it to work just prove to us dumber one how to then?! :annoyed:

all the render passes work the way they are.. there could be more and better ones like reflection passes but i get well along with them.

cheers

alexx

nighthwk1
04-13-2003, 06:55 PM
image 1: shadow pass composited w/ color. image 2: the rendered shadow pass (brightened for clarity)
http://jon.bandedartists.com/files/mayacomp.jpg http://jon.bandedartists.com/files/mayashadow.jpg
image 3: the beauty pass. this is what image 1 *should* look like.
http://jon.bandedartists.com/files/mayabeauty.jpg

Maybe it works better in some situations, but so far every project I've seen that uses render layers has this issue.

jeremybirn
04-13-2003, 11:22 PM
What you're showing doesn't look at all like maya's regular output. Make sure your "shadow color" is left at pure black for all shadows, and that you are only using the alpha channel from any shadow pass you render.

-jeremy

nighthwk1
04-14-2003, 01:14 AM
That scene does have one colored shadow, but the RGB channels of the output file are empty.
I also tested it without those colored lights, and I get the same problem.
I wonder if having CPS active could be responsible.. (but I don't have any problems when Maya renders a beauty pass)

jeremybirn
04-14-2003, 02:31 AM
What is CPS?

-j

nighthwk1
04-14-2003, 07:34 AM
CPS= ConnectPolyShape
Sort of a polygon proxy mode, before Maya provided its own.

beaker
04-14-2003, 06:40 PM
I use this nice little plugin for doing render passes in maya:
http://www.technolumiere.com/software/renderpasses.html
http://www.technolumiere.com/software/renderpassdocs/RenderPass.html
I find it more powerfull then just using maya's built in interface for them. Though you need to know a little scripting to use it fully.

varomix
04-15-2003, 03:20 AM
hey guys tenx 4 all of the help, and Jeremy Birn u are my hero when it comes to lighting and render i all way think of ur work when doing some render and ilumination.

I got the passes working and i'm completly in love with it, i was told to have darker shadows and I made the tweak fast, I also tweaked some specular stuff and color corrected some shots faster then ever, and this helped me to get the job I wanted at a big production house here in mexico.

tenx guys

jeremybirn
04-15-2003, 06:29 AM
I got the passes working and i'm completly in love with it, i was told to have darker shadows and I made the tweak fast, I also tweaked some specular stuff and color corrected some shots faster then ever, and this helped me to get the job I wanted at a big production house here in mexico.

ˇFelicitaciones! That really rocks, varomix!

Which house? (I've visited some of those.)

nighthwk1- I wonder if you could simplify your scene and try hiding all your lights but one, and just rendering the shadow pass from one light at a time.

-jeremy

McMaster
04-15-2003, 10:14 AM
Hi folks,

it would be really helpful if not everyone here says: "Jeah, they work for me..." and "Hey, they don`t work for me...", wouldn`t it be much more helpful, if one of the guys who has them working could write a short description of how he does it?

And by the way: "Hey, they don`t work for me!" ;-)

jeremybirn
04-15-2003, 01:16 PM
For a very basic set-up:

1. Use a single light to cast shadows (hide your other lights if needed) and make it a spot light with dmap shadows, and focus the spot light tightly around the subject where you need shadows.

2. Turn on shadow pass, diffuse pass, and specular pass.

3. Launch a Batch Render.

4. "Add" the Specular and Diffuse images in your compositing program, then layer the shadow pass "Over" them.

To get a little more advanced:

1. Render your ground and background separately. Take the subject or character and with all its components selected in the attribute spreadsheet under the render tab turn primary visibility off but leave casts shadows on. Render the passes you need of the background and ground shadows.

2. Render your subject with the ground and background hidden. Do all the same passes with a different base filename chosen in your render globals.

3. In your compositing program, lay your ground shadow over the background, then lay your subject over the background.

-jeremy

varomix
04-15-2003, 03:32 PM
Hi Jeremy

I got the honor to work at INTELIA PRODUCTIONS, it's in Juarez, city, just a side from EL Paso, TX.

they have some other studio in guadalajara, mexico DF, and I think also one at el paso.

Hope to meet u some day Jeremy.

tenx

McMaster
04-15-2003, 08:06 PM
Thanx Jeremy,
I think now I got it how it is ment:
So don`t touch Layers unless you need different Objects in different Layers, if you just want shadows, diffuse... in different layers just tick it in RenderGlobals!

It works for me now, though the shadow-layer looks a bit wacky. With Opacity more than 15% it looks like shit, and I have to blur it heavily. When I render beauty, the shadow is more heavy and seems to be much nicer. Could it be that the shadowlayer can`t have gradients? Looks like!
Also I have got my camera-environment set to white Background, and so the specular layer creates a ugly outline everywhere where there is a Object in front of just Background.

But hey, over all IT WORKS FOR ME NOW, THANKS

Andrei2k
05-03-2003, 08:40 AM
Thanks it worked for me too but the alpha of the shadow pass seem to just be white (1.00 Gain) how can it be made transparent so i dont need to do the opacity reducing? It should work with a transparent shadow right? Thank in advance.

Mananetwork
05-20-2003, 07:26 AM
I was wonding why maya doesn't have a reflection pass?
Is there a plug in which gives it that extra pass?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.