PDA

View Full Version : Maya avi's

Maya Ayanami
04-08-2003, 04:12 AM
how in the world of great cg artists do you get maya to render smaller avi's if you are a one man team you can only render a certain amount du to the avi's extreame file sizes. I have bink and would like to use other formats than .bik or .exe for my animations. you know like mpeg or something. or can I just make maya render in smaller file sizes to begin with.

I hope 5 lets u render to really small mpg's

Kabab
04-08-2003, 04:17 AM
Never ever render directly to *.avi if your render crashes at 99% your screwed !! always render to squenceds images files and stich togther afterwards.

Maya Ayanami
04-08-2003, 04:19 AM
what kind of appz do you suggjest to use for the stichage.

Kabab
04-08-2003, 06:18 AM
if you can affoard it adobe permiere is great.

pyromania
04-08-2003, 06:34 AM
I always render out to an image sequence. It makes it a lot easier to fix something if you have to, say that frames 50-180 screwed up, just render those frames, and continue your preview.

To create the final movie I use a program called virtualdub, it supports tga and bmp sequences, and its very easy to use and allows you to convert to just about any compression method. The best part is that its free.

http://www.virtualdub.org/

Maya Ayanami
04-08-2003, 07:14 AM
cool better than premier. no offense. but I tried it once and I had a problem. whenever I exported something it would say that it would take something like 30 hours.(but that is for a 30 min vid) still that is a long time. later after I gave up the premiere stuff someone told me that i had to change the quality settings. some begginner huh.

but cool it is free.

that you for all the info

Kabab
04-08-2003, 12:08 PM
You must have set some wacky settings if you got everthing right it shouldn't take to long all things considered..

You can download a full working free 30 day trial from the adobe site.

The Cross
04-08-2003, 01:29 PM
When i have a set of image sequances, i use "Quick time Pro" and open it in there at the frame rate, and then save it as a Self contained movie before i start my edit.

The Self Contained Movie won't play mind you....Just use it in your editing software like a regular clip, and it'll turn out nice and fresh when you write the final result.

Quick Time Pro....Not Quick Time.

Maya Ayanami
04-08-2003, 08:17 PM
but does anyone know why maya does this to avi's that is weird.

but i have decided to render animations as an images sequence.
what image file formatt do you reccomend

Kabab
04-09-2003, 12:33 AM
Its because maya does not use any sort of compresion to keep the quaillty of the image up and the render speeds.

I usually use .tga and out put the alpha channels as well.

greek_fire
04-09-2003, 05:22 AM
just curious what the differences between .tga and .tif are?
ive been using tifs for production work, which gives alpha & z-depth at (theoretically) losless quality.

Bpanting
04-09-2003, 01:36 PM
We are looking at getting either after effects or premier here at work. I was wondering if both programs could compress images to movie files.

alexx
04-09-2003, 01:50 PM
check out the following page:

http://www.iridas.com/

they fo frame cycler wich is quite inexpensive for what it is able to do..
on the one hand frame cycler is an image sequence viewer with basic comp ideas, handles sound and can convert image sequences and movie files to all major formats. it can crop and resize your images on the fly.

and: IT IS HELL FAST!!

(example: it reads full PAL .pic files (720x576) directly from my ATA100 western digital drive in real time (25 frames per second) - 1 meg per image file)
conversion is the fastest that i know - even to movie files.
it even plays back IMAX 4k images with 25 frames a second after loading them to ram. (on a geforce 2 quadro pro card that i have here)

really worth a look and a buy!

cheers

alexx

alexx
04-09-2003, 02:59 PM
a small follow up:
i just talked to the boss of the company that does frame cycler:
right now the smallest version they offer is the professional version vor 199$.. may sound a lot but worth every cent..

cheers

alexx

beaker
04-09-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by greek_fire
just curious what the differences between .tga and .tif are?
ive been using tifs for production work, which gives alpha & z-depth at (theoretically) losless quality.
I personally stay away from tiff. It is a really loose standard and different programs write and read it differently so stuff gets screwed up in it. It is realy meant for print work. If at all possible, stick with IFF if your compositor supports it(most do). After that I would go with SGI or TGA(none of these support an embedded z file, only alpha). All of the formats maya outputs are lossless except for jpg and gif.

>>We are looking at getting either after effects or premier here at work. I was wondering if both programs could compress images to movie files.

Both of them work fine. If you want to just quickly preview then go with frame cycler like alexxx sugggested. It is totally worth the $199 price tag. It outputs avi and quicktime files, does 2:3 pulldown(really fast), will downrez the files to playback in ram on the fly(like shake), command line is available so you could quickly script it to automate the output a bunch of mov/avi files. If you just want to compile a bunch of movie files then I would just use quicktime pro. It is only $30 and is much faster than using premiere/afterfx to make movie files(framecycler kicks its ass, but hey, its only 30 bucks).

Bpanting
04-09-2003, 04:10 PM
That is good to know. If I need to composite different image layers together then I want to go with either after effects or premiere, correct?

beaker
04-09-2003, 04:13 PM
Afterfx, not premiere. Premiere is only an editor, not for adding effects(unless you want titles).

alexx
04-09-2003, 04:17 PM
for us here at work softimage pic is the file of choice.. nerly all apps read it (more than maya iff) and it is compressed..

but if all apps you have read .iff´s i would go for them..

cheers

alexx

Maya Ayanami
04-09-2003, 07:39 PM
I am looking in to buying after affects. should I. doesn't it do compositing. if so is it any good.
and can I use AA to do this stuff while maintaining original quality. and can u also view the alpha chanel in playback or something.

kmp3d
04-09-2003, 08:09 PM
yeah I love after effects, its hella sweet. :applause:
Its real easy to composite in it and just about every production uses it in one way or another. I've never used shake but I'm sure its just as good or better. Oh yeah if it hasn't already been emphasized enough..... In maya, never render to AVI always render to sequence images.

Maya Ayanami
04-09-2003, 08:17 PM
Ok. is I should never batch out to avi and should stay away from jpeg and bmp and should use either tiff tga or sgi(are those spelled right. and should use either those free or cheap apps mentioned above or AA to stitch the sequenses together.

so is this right.

gmask
04-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Maya Ayanami
Ok. is I should never batch out to avi and should stay away from jpeg and bmp and should use either tiff tga or sgi(are those spelled right. and should use either those free or cheap apps mentioned above or AA to stitch the sequenses together.

so is this right.

Yup

Maya Ayanami
04-09-2003, 08:24 PM
that was fast.

I waited what like 2.3843759 micro seconds.

cool:eek:

alexx
04-09-2003, 08:31 PM
concerning shake or AE.. if you really just wanna do conversion stuff and easy time based comps go for after effects..
slow but doing the job perfectly for the money..

if you are looking for faster and more advanced stuff layed out for file res or even higher shake is the tool of choice. but remember to save 10.000 bucks.. 5k for shake and 5k for the new mac you need to buy :)

cheers

alexx

gmask
04-09-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by alexx
concerning shake or AE.. if you really just wanna do conversion stuff and easy time based comps go for after effects..
slow but doing the job perfectly for the money..

if you are looking for faster and more advanced stuff layed out for file res or even higher shake is the tool of choice. but remember to save 10.000 bucks.. 5k for shake and 5k for the new mac you need to buy :)

Actually is cost is a concern and you need to beable to sync audio then Premeire is just as capable at making conversions and is alot cheaper than AE and Shake.

Reccomending Shake for this is like trying to sell people on the idea of buying a limosine instead of using the provided grocery cart when doing their daily shopping.

I might be wrong but also Shake has not had complete support for audio until the now beta version Shake 3 which you can only use on the mac. The linux version has not support for audio as of yet.

If you just need to compress your image sequence then Quicktime Pro is very capable and costs around $50.

I'd also say that it's debatable that when simply doing file conversions that AE and Shake are any different in speed. Issues like your hadrdives and ram would play a larger issue here. Shake on the other hand was developed to combine effects in a speedier fashion... somethign that is hard to do with the large number of 3rd party and legacy plugins avalaible for AE. But if cost is not an issue then Flame is choice.

Maya Ayanami
04-09-2003, 09:21 PM
does AE support sound

gmask
04-09-2003, 09:23 PM
does AE support sound

Yes so does Premeire at a fraction of the cost of Shake with no expensive hardware requirements and of course windows support

beaker
04-10-2003, 05:27 AM

so is this right.
Stay away from tiff too.

gmask
04-10-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by beaker
Stay away from tiff too.

Actually I have started using tiff more.. it seems to work just fine between Maya and After Effects and Quicktime.

I remember a time when both Tiff's and Targa's might come in upside down but I haven't seen that in a long long time.

Maya Ayanami
04-10-2003, 07:06 PM
I remember a time when both Tiff's and Targa's might come in upside down but I haven't seen that in a long long time.

what do you mean upside down.

gmask
04-10-2003, 07:15 PM
what do you mean upside down.

Okay.. like ten years ago.. depending on what software I wa susing a targa file might literally open upside down. The program reading the file might get the lin eordering in reverse and read the first line last or something like that. I also had it happen a few times with tif files. I switched to sgi files only for a long time after AE started to support sgi files and never had nay problems with them. I haven't had these kind of problems in years so if Beaker has encountered this recently I'd like to know between what programs?

I prefer tif, sgi or iff files out of Maya because they are saved with either RLE or LZW compression and they are smaller. Maya for some reason does not use lossless compression with Targa files and if you are manily rendering elements for compositing then a targa file can be huge and still be mostly black.

grubGrob
10-26-2004, 04:29 PM
AFTER EFFECTS
AFTER EFFECTS
AFTER EFFECTS
AFTER EFFECTS

however to make an image sequence quicktime pro is probably the CHEAPEST by a long shot.

grubGrob
10-26-2004, 04:31 PM
PNG
brighter than JPG, but slightly larger file size.
i beileve it cause it carrys ALPHA too.

Jozvex
10-26-2004, 11:38 PM
Yeah I usually compile my sequences using either Quicktime Pro or Digital Fusion (excessive, but hey why not). I render to IFF for Digital Fusion or TGA for Quicktime Pro.

grubGrob
10-27-2004, 03:13 AM
Is there a problem with MAYA 6 and rendering directly to "any" quicktime format? or am I being a doofus?

"I cant find any settings in any render pref. or output, to any "basic video codec except .AVI"
and a few formats i dont want to use...

...I know about importing images.
IM still only working with short sequences
files of up to and about 10 MB... ( know this cause i use both MAC and PC versions)

Thats my point. on the MAC i can render directly into a .qt movie. but on a PC i cant...
(also (i think) i noticed a fl type extention when i updated my quicktime.)
Alias Sugests that i set my defult media player to be the one i want to use. And , ive done that (to my annoyance)

Is there a manual switch? where is it?

Im new and im not building anything complex yet.
just playing around with lights at the moment.

DAY 6 MAYA (have not left the house for 3 days)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.