PDA

View Full Version : A 3d fantasy comic.

frogchild
04-08-2003, 03:49 AM
A 3d fantasy comic.

I had, *aheam* have this theory about the comic industry being saved by 3d, but 3d comics that LOOK like 3d donít sell well, so I worked at trying to get a 3d comic that looks like 2d. What do you think?

http://www.frogchildren.com/Art/ArtWK/WKcomic/WKpg0007.jpg

http://www.frogchildren.com/Art/ArtWK/WKcomic/WKpg0000.jpg

To see more click right here (http://www.frogchildren.com) and go to comics and then winter kingdom.

Thanks for checking this out, I would appreciate any feedback I can get, I really poured my heart into this.

-Kevin K Hanna
Frogchildren (http://www.frogchildren.com)

twitchy
04-08-2003, 05:03 AM
it still kinda looks like its 3d. maybe you should mess with it in photoshop or something to make it more 2d.

dragunzng
04-08-2003, 06:41 AM
Hmm, I'd say it looks interesting, definitely has promise (tho you must have some big brass ones, that comment about comics being saved my 3D, whew, every comicbook artist and his brother will be on you for that;) I would say perhaps work on the line variation, and page layout and composition, also, the pages are too uniformly black sometimes, take a look at old marvel comics from the seventies in particular, the Black and white work of P. Craig and Mike Mignola (SP?), as well as page layouts by John Buscema, keep at it, I think you're on to something.

dbach
04-08-2003, 07:06 AM
Not being a very good 2d artist and not happening to have a comic on hand right now I have no good examples to compare with. However I just can't seem to keep my big mouth shut :D so here I go.

This only applies to the colored image.

The first thing I noticed would have to be the 3 levels of shadeing now I think there are realy only 2 levls of toon shading with the 3rd being the shadows from your lighting. So I would have to say that you should try re-lighting to reduce the harsh shadows and highlights you have going on right now.

The geometry lines you have on the sword just arn't working. Same with the (phong?) shader you have on the boots.

The black and white ones are alot better. Just an idea, I think that back then you could see the printing dots ( I could be totally wrong) maby try adding them to your images.

Out,
Don

FrizzyCube
04-08-2003, 07:46 AM
Hey I was just checking out your website. (Yep, bookmarked it)
I really dig your comic strips & art style :buttrock: and see where you're headed with this as it's very similar to something I wanna do as well.

But yes, it does still look a bit 3D + Cel shaded especially when you have it colored in. Perhaps that can be rearranged by filling in the colors yourself with Photoshop? I'd think it would give more of a personal touch & "kick".

I'm currently contimplating on whether or not I should utilize 3D in to my own comic book/art style since I'm trying not to fall in the trap of looking blatantly cel shaded.

Cel shading is convenient yet ironically a lot of work at the same time, but I'd think it'd be good to take that extra step to totally make the style yours.

As I said earlier, perhaps this can be expressed by the way it's colored , or maybe even in the way the ink is outlined with a few touch ups.

I love your work in progress so far and beginning to become a fan of your work. I really hope you do well man. I look forward to it!

:thumbsup:

Sincerely,
FrizzyCube

MedusasHead
04-08-2003, 08:54 AM
A-haa! Somebody who`s sharing my theory :wavey: I honestly think that you`re right in thinking that 3D could "save" comic books... right at the moment, I`m working on my very first project of this kind; don`t ask for posts yet, I`m somewhere in the middle of pre-pre-conception, I made some panels and finally found that the usual realistic 3D look just won`t go together with a comic page (the times of early Richard Corben are over somehow)... So I took the same approach as you did, the cartoon shading, and as this method and style is very new to me, I`m progressing very very slowly.
I think your "Winter Kingdom" is a very good approach, for example all the "drawings" of the girl look really great, also the overall feel of it is more 2D than 3D (here`s a bit of the early Richard Corben again, but the b/w one . ;) ) Nice stuff, very inspiring!

FrizzyCube
04-08-2003, 09:34 AM
Honestly I think 3D is simply another medium or tool, but it doesn't necessarily make up for your talent. Not sure as to whether if it'll "save" the comic book world but sure, if it's in the right hands and the artist surpasses the software they're using, surely things will progress.

As with any software, I notice a lot of CG artist try to break out of the norm with their art looking like it used so and so program.

I like FrogChild's hand drawn art ALOT and in my humble opinion his 3D work is good too, but it doesn't quite live up to his talents to the fullest yet. (Not that I can use the 3D softwares any better but... LOL)

My point is, if he uses this to a point where we wouldn't be able to tell where the 2D starts and the 3D ends then he's got it made.

Some comments on the character above:

I think his eyebrows, and the root of his hair needs to feel more like ...well... "Hair". As of now it looks a bit too round. (Although I do like the flow of the rest of his hair.)

Perhaps you're working on this but the sword looks a little too polygon-ish.

This is just an addition but the boots perhaps can use straps or some other material to make it look more detailed. As of now it looks just slightly flat.

Hope my crits were in no offense. Just my thoughts. :)

frogchild
04-08-2003, 08:26 PM
Dragunzng> I mean no offence to comic artists, I just think production would go faster if all one had to do was point the camera and render a frame rather than draw out the whole damn thing. Itís just an idea.

Thanks for the feedback, do you know of any programs, plug-in or otherwise that will spit out varied line weight? Iíve been looking.

Dbach> Good points, thanks for the feedback

FrizzyCube> Thanks, keep checking back Iíll be updating as I go, if you can keep me posted as to your progress as well. No offence taken, yours is the kind of feedback I need.

MedusasHead> thanks man, Itís nice to know Iím not alone, when you do get some stuff online, let me know?

dragunzng
04-08-2003, 08:37 PM
Hey Frogchild, I knew you didnt mean offense, I was just kidding with that comment. Well, as far as software for cell shading, it depends on what 3D package you use, I use Max. I've found the absolute best to be John Gould's Illustrate, I think the homepage is Johngould.com, but you could run a google search. It's also relatively easy to win a free copy, just make a really good cell shaded image and submit it and he'll authorise a copy for you AND put it on his sites display page. Try the demo first tho.

VShane
04-08-2003, 10:39 PM
Why don't you go ahead and produce the images in Greyscale/B-W and have a colorist color them. B/W illos without color are jsut illsutrations for interiors like books, thats how they look anyway, but you add color to a B/W image (color underneath the lines) and it suddenly has the ambience of comic book.

I think its the Comic color that is missing that will give it the full translation. Not wholly 3D nor Wholly 2D.

WK

Gatling
04-08-2003, 11:30 PM
Id buy it :beer:

Looks much better than most 2D things. Just try to add more "stuff" in those comics. Backgrounds, etc. should have more filler.

Great work though

xzevlin
04-09-2003, 12:01 AM
Looks good Kevin. Are you ever going to do more Random Frog Children strips?

dragunzng
04-09-2003, 12:18 AM
Couldn't disagree with Wacom Knight more, some of the best examples of comicbook artwork are done in black and white. You need to understand the fundamentals of black and white before diving into color. Also, I think the color scheme you are currently using is interesting Kevin, and with a little more work, and better line quality, as well as some Hard lines to contrast the smooth swooping curves of the character and you'll be in business. Also, as stated above, don't be afraid to go into P-shop and tinker around.

VShane
04-09-2003, 08:00 AM
On the contrary, I love B/W comics
Berni Wrightson
Michael Kaluta
Moebius

The suggestion I gave is based on his work AS IT IS, without manual touching up, if he is going to touch it up and redo the line work etc... Then it really becomes more of a 2D project doesn't it? I don't understand why a line work style can't stand on its own and has to be compared to contemporary comics, why smoothed out? Because its what your use to? I say experiment and be a little jagged an unworked, don't worry about it looking "mainstream" its your technique take it full throttle!

frogchild
04-09-2003, 07:54 PM
I really love that everyone is writing thoughtful informative critiques and not just, ďthat rox!Ē or ďThat sucks so much ass!Ē. Thanks every body.

Dragunzng> Thanks for the info

Gatling> Not a bad idea, thanks!

Xzevlin> I am, Iím just on a bit of a break right now because Iím in crunch mode trying to finish this game at work, once things cool down, I will most likely start pumping those babies out again.

Dragunzng> The line quality is a battle Iíve been fighting from day one with this, it does look very mechanical. I will continue to work on it. One of the reasons that I am reluctant to go into Photoshop and mess with the art too much is because I can draw, and at that point I see no reason to just draw the pages instead. I really want to get to a point where all the art is ďin cameraĒ. Which may just be impossible with current tech and my own limitations. Thanks for the feedback man.

Wacom_Knight> I see what youíre saying about a traditional coloring method making the pages look more natural. I think we are very close in sensibilities on this, you really understand what Iím trying to go for, thanks very much for the feedback!

FatAssasin
04-09-2003, 08:28 PM
I think it's really cool. Can't wait to see more. I have two suggestions. Put a "Next" and "Previous" button with the individual pages so we don't have to hit the Back button and then select the next page. That's just something to make it easier for the viewers. And play with the lens length, or FOV angle, of the camera. I think some of those shots could have the perspective really pushed to add more drama.

Etchy
04-09-2003, 09:52 PM
Hi there..

Was just wandering... is that comic made in a 3d prog.??? cause it looks like a oldfasion 2d comic..

But hay.. nice work.. I like it.

Etchy:thumbsup:

Screwball
04-09-2003, 10:22 PM
i realy like it!!

frogchild
04-10-2003, 03:33 AM
FatAssasin> Yeah, but I'm so lazy..... I hate HTML...
You're right on both cases and I will as soon as I can. Thanks!

Etchy> It is 3d, all in camera (no post other than text and cropping). I'm glad it fooled you, that's what I was going for.

Screwball> Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.