PDA

View Full Version : Camera Cuts and nCloth

aquafina a great
10-05-2007, 01:31 AM
Hello all!

Well i'm doing some cloth simulation using nCloth. In my maya files i have cameras jumping around and characters changing location quickly. This obiviously is causing issues when trying to sim since between cuts the character could be jumping a good distance and pretty much destroying the cloth. What is the best way to deal with these cuts?

What i've tried:
1:Keying the input mesh attract to 1 for the when the character is jumping locations and keying it back to 0 once i want the cloth to continue simulating. This still causes the cloth to become extremely stretched. It might be possible im using this attr incorrectly. Does there need to be a Attr Map painted for this to work?

2:I've also tried changing the start time to where i want to to start after the cut and blend the caches but when i goto cache its like the cloth is still snaping into that location.

Well thanks in advance for any input and i hope this is clear enough description :)

particlefx
10-05-2007, 07:36 AM
hi..
Instead of simulating all the cuts in one file u can simulate the cut shot as different file it would be easier....

Als
10-06-2007, 09:36 PM
I'm not sure why you insist doing it in one file, but anyways, you should probably do all the simulation in one location, and use instance to copy your cloth on other location.
Or just use different cloth object?

Als

yenvalmar
10-07-2007, 01:14 AM
if you have a hard cut, start a new file and start the animation in that shot from frame zero. makes life waaay easier. you can tweak the ncloth settings per shot and it speeds up the cache too. i like to start the character and the sim from neutral pose at frame -20 or so to give the time for the cloth to settle on the start pose of the animation and give it the right motion if its cutting on motion..

if you need to animate all in one shot just to make it easier to determine your edits and such, turn off the cloth sim in that shot, configure the character with trax, then make trax clips of each shot and start a new maya file then import the trax clip to start it from frame zero. this is what i would up doing on my actual project, as the characters motions were match cut even though the over all camera and such jumped around. if the character starts on an extreme pose you can animate it from the neutral start pose at frame -30 and blend into the clip, also start the cloth sim from -30 so it has a nice smooth start to keep the cloth from tearing.

a note, generally for something like this you want to reference in the characters and the set to keep the file sizes down and make sure any revisions propagate, ncloth and trax both seem to work just dandy with referenced characters but unfortunately the same cant be said fo maya render layers.. augh.

aquafina a great
10-09-2007, 09:55 PM
if you have a hard cut, start a new file and start the animation in that shot from frame zero. makes life waaay easier. you can tweak the ncloth settings per shot and it speeds up the cache too. i like to start the character and the sim from neutral pose at frame -20 or so to give the time for the cloth to settle on the start pose of the animation and give it the right motion if its cutting on motion..

if you need to animate all in one shot just to make it easier to determine your edits and such, turn off the cloth sim in that shot, configure the character with trax, then make trax clips of each shot and start a new maya file then import the trax clip to start it from frame zero. this is what i would up doing on my actual project, as the characters motions were match cut even though the over all camera and such jumped around. if the character starts on an extreme pose you can animate it from the neutral start pose at frame -30 and blend into the clip, also start the cloth sim from -30 so it has a nice smooth start to keep the cloth from tearing.

a note, generally for something like this you want to reference in the characters and the set to keep the file sizes down and make sure any revisions propagate, ncloth and trax both seem to work just dandy with referenced characters but unfortunately the same cant be said fo maya render layers.. augh.

Thanks goes to everyone who replyed. This sounds like a good work flow and i will probably end up adopting it. i'm still pretty new to ncloth(cloth in general really) so thanks for the tips. :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2007, 09:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.