PDA

View Full Version : Symmetry in Painter

BUZZFX
10-04-2007, 11:42 PM
F12 activates Symmetry in Painter

I just thought of a cool idea for Painter. What if a person could press F12 for example and this would activate "symmetry" in Painter so any brush turns into a symmetry brush so whatever you paint on one side is repeated on the other side.

If you wanted to turn off "symmetry" you could just click the F12 key again.

Good idea? yes/no

Shizumauru
10-05-2007, 09:23 AM
That Could be useful!
But there must be a way to define the axis of symmetry first, because you don't need only exact vertical symmetric things ;)

BUZZFX
10-05-2007, 04:20 PM
True. I was mostly thinking in terms of a horizontal symmetry so for e.g. if you were to draw an eye on the left it would be repeated on the right. The whole face could be done in this way, then you could hit F12 to turn symmetry off and add some character features to the face so it wasn't perfectly symmetrical.

I think it would be a huge stepp and a huge time saver, not to mention for more accurate drawings of eye's etc.

What do you think?

Shizumauru
10-05-2007, 07:20 PM
But how often do you draw a face exactly from the front so both sides are symmetrical?

Jinbrown
10-05-2007, 08:04 PM
No F12 to do this, but in the meantime:

Draw or paint whatever imagery you want.
Copy it (Ctrl/Command+C).
Use Edit > Paste in Place to paste the copy onto a Layer in the same position as the original (default keyboard shortcut is Ctrl/Command+Shift+V).
Use Effects > Orientation > Flip Horizontal (in Preferences > Customize Keys, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to this command).
Use the left and right arrow keys to align the flipped Layer horizontally with the underlying original imagery.

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2007, 08:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.