PDA

View Full Version : Getting Control Curves to match joint position?

deebster
10-04-2007, 03:45 AM
I was just wondering if there is a way in Maya to get a control curve to match the direction of a joints LRA.

shinyprem
10-04-2007, 07:04 AM
Hi..
Just "parent constrain" without offset the curve's group to the joint and it will be oriented to the joints LRA. Now delete the "parent constraint" node under the curve group.

Rgds

deebster
10-04-2007, 07:32 AM
thanks! now, how do i get rid of the group?

shinyprem
10-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Hi

You can unparent the curve from the group but the curve will get transform value.

deebster
10-04-2007, 07:55 AM
hmmm...that puts junk back into the attribute editor though. grrr.

I'm just trying to figure out on my own how other riggers end up with rigs without that group. Is there any tutorials for rigging? most of the ones I've found dont deal with control boxes or finalizing a rig.

deebster
10-04-2007, 10:30 AM
I talked to a colleague and it seems that it was a MEL script called putIconOnJoint (http://www.seithcg.com/maya/scripts/putIconOnJoint_002.mel). I have no idea how it works but it does.

NolanSW
10-05-2007, 06:54 AM
Basically its shape parenting. Every piece of geometry and curve has a transform for placing the object in space. Next is the shape node that defines the look of the object. So you can take that shape and place it under a different transform such as a joint. That's what the script is doing. So when you select the curve, you are directly selecting the joint. Make sense?

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2007, 06:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.