supremepizza
10-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Hi guys,

I just installed 3ds on my new system.

Vista Ultimate x64
3ds 9 x64 Service pack 2
Extension 1v3

I'm running at 1920x1440 resolution.
DX9 in the viewport. (DX10 crashes when I try to save the scene)
EN8800GTX Cards (SLI 680i if it matters)
on the nForce A1 motherboard

Probably too much info but I wanted to make sure you knew where I was comming from.

The issue is;

In particle view things aren't lining up right. It's kinda hard to explain. If I rtClick on an operator to rename it it doesn't work. Same issue with events. RtClick to add an operator and it wants to start a new system or event. I have to hunt around for the "hotspot" which is usually somewhere above the event/operator to get the correct options. This is seriously effecting my workflow. I had this issue once way back in Max 6 I beleive but I can't remember how to fix it. I'd drop back down to Max 8 if I hadn't already made the move to 64 bit and installed plugins.

Please help! =D This is driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance,
Bill

OlegB
10-03-2007, 07:13 PM
My guess is the new system is a laptop with desktop DPI setting as Large Size (120 DPI).

The issue in hand is a current limitation of Particle View; possible work-around is to switch DPI setting to Normal Size (96 DPI).

Thanks,
Oleg B.

supremepizza
10-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks Oleg, I'll give it a shot now. It's gonna make things really hard to read at these high resolutions though.

Anyway...
It's a desktop system. I couldn't get the 8800GTX on a laptop yet. I've been keeping an eye out at Sager for a new NP9261 lappy and have been in contact with their customer service for a while now. When I talked to Clevo about the 8800M's they said that NVIDIA had postponed them indefinately. Also the last time I talked to NVIDIA about the 8800GTX-M they were working on the drivers because of a M$oft. code requirement change. As far as I know they won't be supporting the quad cores with the NP9261 model either even though they fit. They just put off too much heat especially with a couple DX10 cards inside. So I built a desktop for about a grand less with all the bells and whistles. I've managed to cut my render tremendously. 2 hour single frame renders on my old single core 2.8/GHZ machine are taking only 24 seconds now on my OC'd Q6600 and I haven't run out of ram yet.

Since I'm babbling on and off topic anyway... Will the Max 8 32 bit toolbox work in 9 x 64 or would that be too buggy?

supremepizza
10-04-2007, 02:16 AM
Thanks Oleg,

Worked like a charm!

OlegB
10-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Particle Flow Tools Boxes - Box#1 and Box#3 (if you talk about them) work consistently on all 3ds Max platforms, including 3ds Max 9 64-bit.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

OlegB
10-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Keep in mind that you need different executables for Boxes for 3ds Max 8, 3ds Max 9 32-bit and 3ds Max 9 64-bit - it's a part of the free update going from 3ds Max 8 to 3ds Max 9.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

CGTalk Moderation
10-04-2007, 03:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.