PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray render layers question

yohan3d
10-03-2007, 01:47 PM
hI everyone,

I have my scene set up for rendering, and I have 3 layers (diffuse, occludsion, shadows) also set up. The problem is when I launch the render, Mental creates 3 folders named diffuse, occludsion, shadows but only the first image of each folder is visible. For the rest of the sequence my objects seems to be invisible.
Any suggestions ?

Thank you

Yohan

mr Bob
10-04-2007, 02:21 PM
so are you saying the rest of the frames rendered ? + but theres nothing there ?/ of note render layers in maya dont work at all in a production environment.

b

yohan3d
10-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Yes, every single frame of the sequence is there but my scene is only showing on the first one.
Are you actually saying than Maya render layers just don't work ?? I understand every 3d package has its up and down but this is quite a fundamental feature. I suppose I could still render them one by one (diffuse, then occlusion, then...) but it doesn't feel right for an award winning software costing what it cost.
I'll keep trying for a bit though... Thank you

djx
10-05-2007, 04:34 AM
They have a few quirks, but render layers work really well and I use them on every job.

Why do you suspect that the render layers are the problem?

If you start rendering at a different frame do you get the same behavior - the frame you start on is ok but not the rest?

Do you have animated visibility in your scene?

Sorry - not one answer, but 3 questions.

-- David

yohan3d
10-05-2007, 01:55 PM
They have a few quirks, but render layers work really well and I use them on every job.

Why do you suspect that the render layers are the problem?

If you start rendering at a different frame do you get the same behavior - the frame you start on is ok but not the rest?

Do you have animated visibility in your scene?

Sorry - not one answer, but 3 questions.

-- David

Hi David,

What else could it be other than the render layers ? and no I don't have animated visibility in my scene.
I have tried to render the scene from frame 10 but the same thing happens (the scene objects are only showing on the first frame, the rest of the frames are blank, or alpha).

Every layers are green in the render layers so I don't know what else to try.

djx
10-06-2007, 02:14 PM
I always keep an open mind when it comes to this kind of problem solving, so I was just suggesting that render layers may not be the only thing to look at.

Do you have a way to render as a series of single frame renders? Sounds silly, but at least that would be a work around. I have used smedge (render manager) for a long while now, so I'm a bit out of touch with other (possibly free) render managers. Someone else may suggest one.

Are you using subdivision proxys ? You didnt say which version of maya, but in v8 there was a bug that would fail to make the smoothed mesh (except on the first frame) if the lores mesh was deformed via animation. The error message said something about mesh contains no faces. Anyway if that is the case adding a preRenderLayer mel with the following
dgdirty -a;
solved the problem.

Sorry I cant be of more help.

-- David

danylyon
10-06-2007, 11:26 PM
I had the same problem when using Renderpal.. couldn't really track it down to it though. I simply started to give 1 frame jobs to the farm.

Did you try to batch render (inside maya)?

avinashlobo
10-07-2007, 09:56 AM
If you're using 8.5 I suggest you look up the several threads in here that talk about the render layer issues.

Basically, issue your batch render from a command prompt and it should be fine.

mr Bob
10-07-2007, 01:39 PM

quirks ? your kidding right. why are these so called quirks not in the manual then?.Render layers dont work well at all period.
Yes yohan3d it is a fundemental feature which is why it beggers belief that Maya dev team has the cheek to release it , but then you have to ask yourself why every major studio has there own in house layer management system. Its because the default maya one SUCKS !!!
if you want to to see render management that works with MR or Prman refer to takes in Houdini or render layers in xsi

Best B

yohan3d
10-08-2007, 12:26 PM
hi Guys, thank you for your comments.

tonight I will try to launch the batch render via the terminal instead, and I'll let you know how it went.

Yohan

yohan3d
10-08-2007, 12:27 PM
By the way, I am using maya 8,5

djx
10-08-2007, 01:41 PM
quirks ? your kidding right.
Ok, I was being kind :shrug:. That said, I dont think render layers should be written off as unusable. They still provide a useful function. Maybe I am lucky, but they really are better than the alternative of saving and maintaining seperate scenes for each "layer". Of course each persons workflow is going to be different - for example I never use the default layer presets, and create my own instead. And I dont assign shaders to faces - always to the whole mesh. I think those two things solve most of the problems I initially experienced with render layers.

In short though, I was just suggesting to keep an open mind until it was proved whether the render layers were the only problem (which maybe they are...).

-- David

mr Bob
10-09-2007, 05:56 AM
Kind ! I think your being over generous. I have just had to suffer using maya render layers coupled with Mental Ray and all I can say is I spent my entire time fixing or finding ways to get scenes to render rather than doing anything creative. The intergration of render layers / MR in maya is absolute rubbish. I could give you a nice long list of things that will break renderlayers / MR which are not in the manual but rather than waste my valuable time I would advise using Houdini or XSI they actually work. Good Luck

Best B

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2007, 05:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.