PDA

View Full Version : blur in reflections?

Morbid Angel
04-07-2003, 08:32 PM
hay guys I've never come across this until now, I need to get my reflection to be blurry, like in 3ds max there is an option of glossy reflections...how do i do it maya??

kmp3d
04-07-2003, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure how to do it in maya. But you may want to consider rendering the reflection in a seperate pass and compositing it in post. There you can tweak the blur to your hearts content. :wavey:

Morbid Angel
04-07-2003, 08:37 PM
yeah post process is not my strenght...or tho it should be haha..anyways there must be a way...Im rendering with MR...

Waters
04-07-2003, 09:00 PM
I'd like a good solution for this myself, hopefully they included straight forward blurry reflections in maya 5.

Norb
04-07-2003, 09:33 PM
although you'd get much better results from post, you could try making a blurry reflection map. take a screenshot from the objects perspective looking at the rest of the scene and then use that....haven't tried it myself, could work tho

nemirc
04-08-2003, 12:50 AM
There is a plugin in HighEnd3D called raytracer node that does blurred reflections, and even reflections that fade on the distance :bounce:

pyromania
04-08-2003, 01:51 AM
If you have maya 4.5 you can use Mental Ray to bake the reflection map to a texutre. Then take the image into photoshop, do some gaussian blur, and then apply the map to your refective color. Dosn't work very well for animation, but for stills its great.

stunndman
04-08-2003, 01:54 AM
if you are rendering with MRfM then you can use the dgs_material which can produce blurry reflections - there are several threads on blurry reflections in the mental ray forum on highend3d.com

Waters
04-08-2003, 02:23 AM
Could someone explain to me how to go about assigning a mental ray specific shader (not maya, or anything made in hypershade) to an object within maya. For instance, there are ways of making great translucence fakes using mental ray's phong shader with mental ray's volume shader, but how can I do that? I cant just import a mental ray shader into hypershade.

protohiro
04-09-2003, 05:12 PM
For instance, there are ways of making great translucence fakes using mental ray's phong shader with mental ray's volume shader, but how can I do that? I cant just import a mental ray shader into hypershade.

Actually you can, but its a little convoluted. If what you are trying to do is created a sweet glossy surface, you need to do is create a new maya shader and then assign it to your surface. Then head into the hyper shade and click on the shader. Now you need to surf up to the SG node. In the attribute editor for the shader group there is a section called "mental ray". Pop it open and you will find slots for material shader, Volume shader, etc. Now if you are creating a glossy surface you can map the "dgs_material" MR node to the Material Shader. Then you turn up glossy to white or blue or whatever, set shiny to 10 or so and be amazed. This is covered more in depth in a few threads on high-end 3d. Below is a picture I made today at work with the dgs_material node. It works and its soooo cool.

Waters
04-09-2003, 09:54 PM
I'll give this a try, thanks for the tip.

Waters
04-10-2003, 03:26 PM
BTW, amazing work on your site Stephen, I'm impressed. How about writing a tutorial for shading with mental ray?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.