PDA

View Full Version : Desktop fan in simple scene, Steve Pedler (3D)

spedler
10-02-2007, 10:00 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/280307/280307_1191362411_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/280307/280307_1191362411_large.jpg)

Title: Desktop fan in simple scene
Name: Steve Pedler
Software: CINEMA 4D, Photoshop

Setting a model of a desktop fan into a very simple scene. (Another render of the fan, without scene, is in my portfolio.) I would particularly welcome critique on the lighting in this scene. I used two spots to light it, with reflections coming from an HDRI on a C4D sky object. GI was not used. Ambient occlusion was used on some object, notably the desktop and the plastic conduit.

ckpepper02
10-03-2007, 06:20 PM
It looks great! Good job! How did you do the wire cage? Is there a duplicate and rotate command?

spedler
10-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. The front and rear wire grilles were done using C4D's Array object - just drop the source sweep nurbs in it and watch it generate and rotate 99 (in this case) copies :-)

DSZero
10-04-2007, 07:48 AM
I have no experience with Cinema4D, but I assume you can add textures to it.

This piece screams IKEA catalog... just too clean for a real-world environment.

That electrical plug area could use some grime and dirt buildups. The fan blades pick up dust like crazy when you use them (gray dust-bunnies), so I say that could add alot of realism.

The only harsh criticism I can give you is that the textures on all parts of the scene are pretty bad. They are pretty much default diffuse/specular/bumps in 3DMax or Maya. Customizing those will definitely make this yours.

spedler
10-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the input. Harsh criticism? I don't see it that way; I knew that this site had very high standards, so I'm happy to take what's offered!

You are absolutely right about the dirt etc. round the plug. I did attempt that but it hasn't come out in the scene, it may be a lighting issue more than anything else.

Textures... I must admit I was reasonably happy with the metal texture on the fan. If you mean the other scene textures, what there are anyway, yes, I accept the criticism. They could be siginificantly better.

DSZero
10-05-2007, 02:39 PM
I didn't notice at first, but there is a small noticable bend in the cord of the fan, on the left side, next to the end of the table.

The metal texture for the fan looks alright, but if you did this in max, the arch & design mental-ray preset has brushed metal that does exactly the same thing... it's too bleh.

I think the white parts of the image are what shows that this is a 3D image. If you worked to fade that down (grime, yellow staining, ect) then it can blend it better with the rest of the image.

spedler
10-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks, and well spotted on the cable. You know, you can look at an image for days and still miss something so obvious when pointed out.

Agreed about the white plastic parts. This texture just didn't work as I'd hoped. It would look better grubby and grimy.

The metal texture is really close to what the actual fan looks like, which is what I was aiming for.

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2007, 09:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.