PDA

View Full Version : Maestro 2.3 is now available

ericsmith
10-02-2007, 10:26 PM
We've just released Maestro version 2.3.

This version includes the walk generator, as well as other great
enhancements to the biped rig.

There's also a new Light and Camera rig that automates the creation of a 3
point studio setup and a neat little camera rig, along with controls in the
interface to make manipulating the lights and camera very easy.

Here's some videos demonstrating the new features:

New Rig Features (http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/Maestrodemos/RigFeaturesv2.3.mov)

Walk generator (http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/Maestrodemos/walkgen.mov)

The light and camera rig (http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/Maestrodemos/LightCamRig.mov)

Eric

KOryH
10-03-2007, 12:56 AM
wow cool stuff.
what kind of slow down do you get with the added controls and expressions?

calilifestyle
10-03-2007, 12:57 AM
this looks great.

ericsmith
10-03-2007, 01:22 AM
Actually the interaction is just a bit faster, primarily because there's less bones than before (although it's pretty close, maybe 1-2 fps faster).

Eric

fez
10-03-2007, 02:24 AM
Cool. Can we scale any and all bones in the rig? If we split forearm and shin bones so that we can have a character strike a cartoonish, curvy pose, will the rig break?

Thanks.

ericsmith
10-03-2007, 02:45 AM
Scaling - No problem.
Splitting - as long as you rename the child to something unique. You can add any bones you want, you just can't delete or rename the ones that are there (exept for the red colored hold bones, you can delete them if you want)

The fact is, with just a little understanding of the basic commands we use in the rigging files, you can change the rigs to do anything you want, or create your own completly custom rigs. It's all totally open to the user.

The real power of Maestro is the controller, which is basically a multi-function joystick/macro engine that's totally customizeable as well.

Eric

bearfoot
10-03-2007, 09:11 AM
brilliant i have been waiting for this !

is it x64 and LW64 friendly ?

thanks a lot
Neil

Vojislav+Milanovic
10-03-2007, 11:47 AM
neat, i've been showing that walk setup today here in studio and everyone said WOW! will there be any sort of demo to try it out, it seems like awesome tool for rigs?

StOuen
10-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Looks great. Is there any links to animation (other than the demos) done using Maestro?

ericsmith
10-03-2007, 04:14 PM
neat, i've been showing that walk setup today here in studio and everyone said WOW! will there be any sort of demo to try it out, it seems like awesome tool for rigs?

The demo version of the plugin is ready to go. I just need to update the content and get it online. My goal is to do that this week.

Looks great. Is there any links to animation (other than the demos) done using Maestro?

The stuff I've done for my project is still under wraps, but maybe some of the users can step forward with their stuff. I've also got some little "just screwing around" snippets here (These were actually speed tests. They were all created in under an hour):

http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/Maestrodemos/renders/

Dragonfellow, from Dave school, used Maestro.

Eric

Julez4001
10-04-2007, 11:09 PM
So whats the total frames per second speed om average?

Is there a poly - cpu standard you can give us.

1000 polys PIII or DUOCORE = ??? FPS

Is it driven with LW expression or relativity?

*** ALSO can you PIN any of the appendages
If you wanted a character to get up from the ground and you need him to rest on his elbows--Can you lock that?

Julez4001
10-10-2007, 01:58 AM
whoa! This thread dried up quick didn't it...ummm DEMO?

nikfaulkner
10-10-2007, 09:34 AM
i agree, i signed up for a demo when this version was announced only to realise it was the old demo.

doh

ericsmith
10-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Sorry about the demo being delayed. I'm waiting for one small change from Brian, and then I'll upload it.

Regarding speed: My animation machine is a single CPU athelon FX55 running at 2.6 ghz. With the female or male model provided, I get around 22 fps if I set the subdivision level to 0. The female model has just under 7,000 polys.

With some of my other characters, I make stripped down proxy versions that have around 2,500 polys. The speed on that at subdivision level 0 is easily above 30 fps.

As you add characters to the scene, things can slow down quite a bit, but I typically work with the "animate first character, MDDscan, animate second character in new scene with first character's MDD data, etc" method. I think I might actually use this method even if speed weren't an issue, as it keeps my scenes clean and uncomplicated. I also like the fact that the MDDscans are basically reference files for final render scenes.

The rigs are still "standard expression" based. We currently have no way to access Relativity from within LScript, so we can't automate rigging with them. But, (and I've said this many times before) the rigs we provide are not what Maestro is really all about. You can add relativity expressions to a rig manually, or rig from scratch using whatever rigging tools you want. Or use Maestro to control something totally outside of the concept of rigging. Where Maestro really comes into play is the control interface. Being able to create animation controllers that do exactly what you want them to by just clicking and dragging on them speeds up the process of animating so much it's rediculous. Once you set it up, everything just works intuitively. You don't have to struggle to select the right object (and in Layout, sometimes this can be a major pain), then select the proper tool, then click and drag, and when you drag, have to figure out if dragging left will rotate right or maybe even up and down.

I could go on and on about how frustrating it is to do basic manipulation of objects in Layout, or pretty much any standard 3d app, but I think I've made the point.

Eric

Julez4001
10-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Any introductional price in the foreseeable future and what are the limitations of the demo?

ericsmith
10-10-2007, 09:42 PM
We're not planning on an introductory price at this point (there was one when it was introduced a few years ago).

The demo basically provides pre-rigged scenes with our default characters so you can play around with the control system and see how it works. We've disabled the ability to rig your own characters, and it expires in 14 days from when you submit for the registration code. Other than that, everything works just like the full version.

Eric

Julez4001
10-11-2007, 03:51 AM
I got a code for the demo but its not 2.3 is it, shoud I just wait or has the countdown begun.

ericsmith
10-11-2007, 05:29 AM
Unless something unforseen happens, I'm going to post the demo tommorrow. I plan to reset the system, so anyone can get a new 14 day password even if they've already tried a previous demo.

I'll let you know when this has happened.

Eric

nikfaulkner
10-11-2007, 01:29 PM
hey eric,

thanks for you replies and answers to questions.

i have another (if you dont mind)

i use both a pc and a mac for my lightwave work, would i need to buy 2 copies to install on each of my machines (one pc and one mac) or do you supply intalls for each with a single liscence?

thanks in advance

n

ericsmith
10-11-2007, 04:24 PM
As long as you're just a single user, you just need to buy one license.

Eric

nikfaulkner
10-11-2007, 04:41 PM
cool, sounding more and more interesting.

i'll wait to play with the demo then possibly purchase a liscense

ta

n

NanoGator
10-11-2007, 10:10 PM
:)

Fun stuff!

ericsmith
10-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Okay, just a heads up that the new demo is online. The system should be reset so anyone who has already gotten a demo code can get a new one.

If anyone has any problems please let me know. The demo system is web based, and I'm not exactly a web guru.

Eric

nikfaulkner
10-12-2007, 09:15 AM
coolio.

i'll check it out over the weekend

thanks a bunch

n

INFINITE
10-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Hi there Eric,

I just came across this post and saw some of your demo videos. I am astounded. I really do not understand why poeple still produce very technical and accurate rigs, or rigging software that must take a great deal of time and energy only to use awful models to demo the rigs on.

Would you like to work with me using my current standard model that I use to create characters with?

I constantly find my self pulling out my hair with frustration because of LW's lack of rigging and weighting support in Layout. I have to switch over to either XSI or Max to take care of the rigging.

I know quite a few other commercial artists who do all there ( rig ) work out side of Lightwave in XSI but render in LW using FPRIME because of such lack of true inspiring support there is in LW with regards to animating or controling biped rigs.

Whadya say?!?

Cheers

Lee

your work has great potential, why not unleash it properly!

ericsmith
10-14-2007, 02:02 AM
...that must take a great deal of time and energy only to use awful models to demo the rigs on.

Come on, now. You of all people should know better than to make such an arbitrary and unconstructive criticism like that. I really don't think the demo models are awful, they're just simplified. The fact is, I used one of those meshes as the base to develop the female in the attached jpeg. I just added more detail. But the meshes in question have good poly flow, and are well proportioned, in my opinion. Using simple meshes for testing and demoing keeps the interaction quick and smooth.

The point is, I'm not selling highly detailed figures. I'm selling a rigging, and more important, an animation solution. I give those models out as a freebee to help users get started out.

Eric

ericsmith
10-14-2007, 02:07 AM
Something when wrong with the last message. Here's the image.

Eric

Edit: hmm okay, I guess it did work.

ericsmith
10-14-2007, 02:09 AM
grr. Aparently uploading 67k jpegs is too much to ask of the this forum's server.

http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/figure.jpg

Edit: Move along, nothing to see here...

RKanyama
10-14-2007, 03:59 AM
Okay, just a heads up that the new demo is online. The system should be reset so anyone who has already gotten a demo code can get a new one.

If anyone has any problems please let me know. The demo system is web based, and I'm not exactly a web guru.

Eric

I am quite interested and have downloaded the 2.0 demo. I am running Lightwave 9.3 (64-bit) I am getting some errors when trying to open the .lws file.

I get a message stating that Maestro needs to find the home directory. I then point to the 'Maestro2Demo.txt' file and then get the error, "Maestro home directory successfully stored". I hit okay, then another message pops up stating, "Findfile still brokie". Hit okay, and then another message pops up stating, "Line 16777, invalid argument 2 type to parse[]. Ok, once again, then "Line 11932, illegal index value [0] provided". Along with this popup, yet another popup appears: "Line 16779, attempt to access undeclared array pased".

I end up with the model loaded and the Maestro screen is black. Have I done something wrong? I have everything that came with the demo in a folder called Maestro which is within my content folder.

Sorry to write so much here...

Where would I purchase version 2.3? All that I see is version 2.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers...

ericsmith
10-14-2007, 04:05 AM
First off, if you resubmit your email on at the bottom of www.stillwaterpictures.com/maestro, you'll get a new password and the link will be for version 2.3. That will work better with 9.3 64 bit (although we're not sure that it's 100% on that platform yet).

If you buy the plugin, you'll get a link that gives you access to every version 2 release, from 2.0 through the current 2.3.

Eric

RKanyama
10-14-2007, 04:10 AM
First off, if you resubmit your email on at the bottom of www.stillwaterpictures.com/maestro (http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/maestro), you'll get a new password and the link will be for version 2.3. That will work better with 9.3 64 bit (although we're not sure that it's 100% on that platform yet).

If you buy the plugin, you'll get a link that gives you access to every version 2 release, from 2.0 through the current 2.3.

Eric

Ah, I see. I'll go try it now! Thanks for the quick reply too.

Cheers...

RKanyama
10-14-2007, 04:21 AM
I didn't realize that I already had version 2.3 from the first time that I entered my email address. Silly me. I have installed the 32-bit version of LW. I am using it in the 14-day trial due to Newtek's sight being down at the moment.

I get even more errors now. How should the folders be set up?

Thanks...

ericsmith
10-14-2007, 04:52 AM
What OS are you running on?

We've been hearing about some erratic results with vista and UB, but the issues don't seem entirely reproducable or consistant from one user to another. We're still trying to sort out where the issue really is.

Eric

nikfaulkner
10-14-2007, 07:35 AM
try putting everything that is in the maestro folder into your content directory. not a maestro folder in your content directory.

i had the very same problem you described and this seemed to fix it (if i recall correctly)

n

NanoGator
10-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Are you saying the 2.3 version is having trouble working outside of the Content/Maestro folder on Vista 64-bit?

I'll have a peek at the code and see if anything catches my eye.

NanoGator
10-14-2007, 09:13 AM
To quote the immortal Homer Simpson: D'oh!

RKanyama: Could you email me at nanogator ``at`` gmail [[dot]] com? I'll send you a patched version. If it works, lemme know and I'll get an udpate out?

I apologize, everybody. That was my bad. There's a feature in LScript that I didn't realize I was using incorrectly. There's a circumstance that occasionally returns an unexpected result, so the 'FindFile still brokie' error appears.

Argh that's embarrasing. :)

nikfaulkner
10-14-2007, 09:35 AM
i had the same issue on 32bit windows.

will the demo be "patched" as well? haven't had a chance to really play with it yet. planning on doing so next week at work

n

NanoGator
10-14-2007, 09:59 AM
i had the same issue on 32bit windows.

will the demo be "patched" as well? haven't had a chance to really play with it yet. planning on doing so next week at work

n

Yep! Send me an email and I'll email you back a fixed version.

RKanyama
10-14-2007, 03:39 PM
try putting everything that is in the maestro folder into your content directory. not a maestro folder in your content directory.

i had the very same problem you described and this seemed to fix it (if i recall correctly)

n

Hey, that worked! It is a little messy, but at least it works now. I'll try the patch as well.

Thanks!!!

Badllarma
10-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Eric,
have you not emailed your users about the update? As it's only when I have come here I learned about it???

ericsmith
10-14-2007, 11:35 PM
I emailed everyone in my registration inbox. But sometimes people's email changes, or it just doesn't get to them for some other reason. The update can be found at the download link you received when you bought the plugin. If you've lost the original email, send a message to support (at) stillwaterpictures (dot) com and I'll send it to you.

Eric

Badllarma
10-16-2007, 01:02 AM
Hi Eric,
Downloaded it today, very strange about the email IK've recieved all the others?

Andy i'll PM you with mine again to include.

xiao_x
10-18-2007, 09:23 AM
hi, my company using 2.0 version ,may i know 2.3 is free for update??
thanks

Badllarma
10-18-2007, 10:11 AM
hi, my company using 2.0 version ,may i know 2.3 is free for update??
thanks

yup in your download section :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-18-2007, 10:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.