PDA

View Full Version : Afterburn -how can I make it?

erikals
04-07-2003, 07:03 PM
Hi,

does anybody know how to make afterburn with Lightwave? I know the plug-in Particle FX can make it, but is there a way to make it in Lightwave?

I found this tutorial, but it just doesn't look good enough
http://www.cgfocus.com/ArticleDetails.cfm?ArticleID=89

I know that some people has been using AfterFX for this, achieving a pretty good result. (If you got a fast connection, check out Rune Spaans web site,
http://www.superrune.com/gall_3d/brazil_x35_02.htm

(Yes, it's a render)

Any ideas?

Best,
Erik

webfox
04-07-2003, 07:19 PM
Not sure how much time you want to spend on setup and tweaking and rendering...

The first link you gave usually gives pretty good results. Just because the tutorial writer didn't produce results as good as you hope for doesn't mean that it won't do what you want. You just have to keep modifying your surface values until you get what you want.

The other way to do this is to use particles and hypervoxels. This takes some time to get things just the way you like, though.

The best way to do all of this is, of course, with multipass renders and either of the two techniques so you can modify it in your compositing package to get it just the way you want.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

dies-irae
04-07-2003, 07:22 PM
LW has his own particle system, so you could give it a try ;)

create a null,
open the object properties (p)
"Add Custom Object" > FX Emitter
and start playing with that...

when you want to render it:
bring up the volumetric panel (ctrl+f5)
"Add Volumetric" > Hyperwoxel
and play with that one (try using some presets at first)

i know it's not really an answer, it's more like a hint on where to search... ;)

erikals
04-07-2003, 08:08 PM
Thanks,

I guess I will try some more, using the methods you described. I had some problems getting the distorted air to get distorted.. I'll try some more later when I get the time. Who knows, maybe I'll make a tutorial on it...

Thanks again guys, :)

Erik

Facial Deluxe
04-07-2003, 10:18 PM
I haven't read the tutorial nor know Brazil, but what I Have seen is a blur with a wave effect.
I would do this in compositing with After Effects (rendering separatly plane + mask and a "tube" of exhaust" + mask )
Or, if you absolutely want to do it within Lightwave, you could make some transparent wavy displaced tube (using gradients for soft edges effects) and using some refraction to distort what's inside and behind. Wonder if we have something to blur transparency (I know there's an effect for blurred reflection )
Might be fun to try...
Waz just an idea...

kretin
04-08-2003, 03:39 AM
This was a fun excercise, and learned me something in the meantime :)

Here's the result...

ExhaustTest (http://www.zerogravity.com.au/lw/ExhaustTest.avi)

And the files...

ExhaustTest Files (http://www.zerogravity.com.au/lw/ExhaustTest.zip)

It's just a quicky, you'll need to tweak it to get better results, but the basics are all there...

1. Create your exhaust object
2. Make the object 100% transparent with transparent edges and some refraction. Set special buffer 1 (Advanced surface tab) to 1
3. Give the object some displacement
4. Add FPBlur Image Filter, set blur amount and "Use mask" to special surface

Render away :)

Irie
04-08-2003, 04:13 AM
what are your render times like? just out of curiosity

kretin
04-08-2003, 04:32 AM
Render times at 320x240 no AA were 1 sec per frame. 640x480 low AA 5 secs per frame.

The blur is very fast, very minimal rendering overhead. Obviously the refraction adds a little bit, but not much.

Also I forgot to mention...

To make the blur fade out along the length of the exhaust plume, give each segment a differnet surface, then make all the surfaces the same except reduce the amount of Special buffer along the length. Reducing the special buffer (between 0.0 and 1.0) will reduce the blur effect.

Also to fade the effect in/out, you can't just dissolve the object. You'll need to envelope the FLBlur and the refraction.

PolyMangler
04-08-2003, 05:46 AM
you da man kretin....that's insaine how well you know lightwave

kretin
04-08-2003, 06:35 AM
Hehe, there's still more I don't know than I do know. That's what keeps it fun, the constant challenge of learning new things.

The Exhaust Test learned me that FLBlur can work on a region specified by a surface, not just over the entire image. If only I'd known that a little while back when I needed it :P

SplineGod
04-08-2003, 07:54 AM
Heres a quickie example using texture displacement on a single poly with an image mapped onto it. It also renders quickly.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/heatwave.mov

erikals
04-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Awesome:bounce:

Thanks Kretin and SplineGod, this will be a cool test:)
Can't wait to make the afterurn:wip:

Arigato gozaimas,
Erik

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.