PDA

View Full Version : slow rendering with big scenes

arjan_meerten
10-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Hi, I have a problem with rendering a really large scene.
I have two scenes: a background scene and a character scene. The background scene is very large but renders really fast. The character scene is a lot smaller and also renders really fast. But when I import the character into the background scene and render it, it renders really slow. about 10 times slower then when I render them seperately. I found out it had to do with the raytrace shadows of the light I use. When I turn them off it renders really fast.
Does somebody know where the problem could be. Render them in seperate layers is always an option, but it isn't really a fast way to tweak the shading on the character or the background.
tnx

Arjan

TSPaddy
10-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Old thread, I know...

If you seperate the Layers (diff, spec, reflection, shadow) it shoudn't be so slow at all, even if you batch the rendering process...?!?

VanDerGoes
10-15-2007, 02:03 PM
It's a bsp issue. Read this (http://www.bernardlebel.com/wiki/index.php/3D:XSI_tutorials:BSP_Explained_To_Artists) article and then tweak the bsp depth value.

TSPaddy
10-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Could be, but if he runs out of ram, he might be rendering on HDD.

Have you converted the textures to .map or .bot?

CGTalk Moderation
10-15-2007, 02:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.