PDA

View Full Version : DWG import question

graz
10-02-2007, 01:08 AM
When trying to import some of our AutoCAD 2007 DWG files, we get a dialog box stating:

"Warning. The file contains unsupported entities which were not imported"

Any idea what might be causing this? I don't know enough about ACAD to know what to look for.
Thanks,
Mike

bobtronic
10-02-2007, 01:34 AM
Not all objects/elements of a DWG can be read. Quote from the help:

The following objects / elements can be read from the DWG file?

Arc
Circle
Ellipse/Elliptical Arc
Polyline
2dPolyline
3dPolyline
Face
Polyfacemesh
Polygonmesh
Blocks and XRefs will be assumed by CINEMA 4D as Instances (file://localhost/C:/Programme/Grafik/MAXON/help/us/html/OINSTANCE.html).
NURBS will be converted to polygons.
Solids and all other object types that are normally processed in the ACIS kernel are not supported!

cheers,
Matthias

Kuroyume0161
10-02-2007, 02:00 AM
That answers one of my questions in another forum. I have some older DWG files of the Mars Sojourner Rover - but all Solids. So much for that. :)

Be.eM
10-03-2007, 01:36 PM
Solids and all other object types that are normally processed in the ACIS kernel are not supported!

In addition to ACIS bodies which aren't converted (but could be converted externally) there's also another group of objects which fail to import everywhere: if the AutoCad file contains parts from external symbol libraries (e.g. AEC objects), there would only be a reference contained within the file. In my experience AutoCad users *love* to clutter their files up with these entities. They could be transferred, if they were "exploded" before being exported (someone told me this would have to be done twice, don't know why).

Bernd

Continuumx
10-03-2007, 03:24 PM
...They could be transferred, if they were "exploded" before being exported (someone told me this would have to be done twice, don't know why).
Bernd

Not really, if you use the etransmit function in Autocad or ADT, you can select a setting to explode all AEC objects in the file that you wish to either save as a 2007 format or all the way down to 2000 format.

The standard procedure for sharing any DWG files from Autocad and ADT involves the etransmit function as good CAD etiquette.

This will solve any problems of AEC objects and will bring in the drawing as expected in C4D 10.5.

Be.eM
10-03-2007, 03:40 PM
The standard procedure for sharing any DWG files from Autocad and ADT involves the etransmit function as good CAD etiquette.

OK, I'm going to quote your sentence above from now on in every communication with AC operators. Even better, I'll create a tagline from it... :-)

Bernd

CGTalk Moderation
10-03-2007, 03:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.