PDA

View Full Version : Live-Action VFX short - NFFS 2007

droidoz
10-01-2007, 10:39 AM
!!Hey everyone, I'm proud to present to you the result of three months of hard work! Three weeks were spend on vfx. The deadline was very tight but the team was awesome and we all had a great time!
In this short film tv's rain down on my old hometown, Lelystad and destroy everything but the cinema. This is where the NFFS or National Film Festival for High School Students takes place.
This short was used as the festival-leader, or the official opening piece. I'd love to hear what you guys think of it!

To watch the short go to www.matjoor.com (http://www.matjoor.com) and select your preferred way of viewing, thanks!

http://matjoor.com/cgtalkstill.jpg (http://matjoor.com)

Obaid3DFX
10-02-2007, 09:19 AM
WOW....very creepy!!!

but it is very engoyable....I enjoyed the effects and the actions.
good opening and ending

cheer
:thumbsup:

BSFWhite
10-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Alright, if no one else is going to comment. I'll say I enjoyed it. It felt perhaps a tad slow in the middle, as if it were missing an effects shot and other shots were stretched to fill the gap. Also the perspective of the hole in the parking lot seems a bit off to me. The scaling on the background (matte paintings?) seemed a bit off, as if the ruined building closest to the camera was enormous before it collapsed. Lastly the TV's falling from the sky in the first of those shots seemed very uniform, a bit more randomness in their trajectories would make the whole thing feel more "natural". Still, a very good effort indeed.:thumbsup:

MrBrick
10-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Awesome stuff!

I think your cinematography is awesome. And so it the smoke effects. (are the out of focus parts done on purpose?)

I wasn't sold on the TV's actually falling from space though. It was a little confusing as to not ever really seeing them hit the ground. The hole in the parking garage roof looked off and so did the painted bg of the smoke rising off into the distance. Also in the final scene- the color grading looks different than the rest of the short. I think there are some parts that could be edited for length and that could help sell the "speechl-ess-ness" of the actors a bit more.

All in all though it was pretty awesome! The effects were well done.

droidoz
10-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks for all the positive replies and I also appreciate the constructive feedback.

I think your cinematography is awesome. And so it the smoke effects. (are the out of focus parts done on purpose?)
When we were planning this we knew it would be very hard to run a round with a huge camera and keep everything in focus. We decided that if we'd use the "out of focus effect" consistantly in stressfull situations it would add to the chaos and confusion. I think it worked out pretty well. :)

About the grade.. the last scene was graded differently on purpose because the main characters are finally safe. Do you think the difference is too big or is it too small to really achieve the effect I was looking for? Thanks!

andyburm
10-25-2007, 05:34 AM
I was wondering why none of the TV tubes actually break upon impact....good work though.

CGTalk Moderation
10-25-2007, 05:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.