PDA

View Full Version : Design the 2018 Mazda3

tobiasth
10-01-2007, 10:37 AM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/09/mazda3_concept_450_op.jpg

Mazda's taking a line out of Peugeot's playbook and enlisting the help of budding automotive artists to design the 2018 Mazda3. The "Mazda Design Challenge" is turning to the Facebook community to send in a rendering and a 150-word description of their concept for selection. Ten semi-semi-finalists will be selected, and over the course of a week Facebook users will be asked to vote, narrowing down the selection to five semi-finalists that will spend time with a Mazda designer to hone their vision.

From there, a second round of voting will commence, with the winner getting a cool $1000 and a flight to Los Angeles for the LA Auto Show, where they'll spend time with Mazda's N.A. design team, headed by Franz von Holzhausen, where the concept will be rendered live during the show.

For those of you too good for MySpace, you can head on over to Mazda's Facebook page, check the rules and enter your design. Good luck!

PRESS RELEASE

IRVINE, Calif., Sept. 27 /PRNewswire/ -- It's the ultimate assignment: tell Mazda what you think the 2018 MAZDA3 should look like. And better, if your design is chosen, you'll have the chance to put your talent where your mouth is at the Greater Los Angeles Auto Show, where you'll work with Mazda designers to bring your creation to life in front of more than a million anxious show-goers.

The "Mazda Design Challenge," launched today on Facebook.com (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7602701619), will enlist help from Facebook members across the United States to compete to design a future MAZDA3, Mazda's best-selling car globally. For the first time ever in the auto industry, the victor will work with Franz von Holzhausen, director of Mazda Design in North America, and his team, to bring the concept to life, live on stage at the 2007 Los Angeles International Auto Show.

To enter, contestants must submit a 150-word description of their vision of the 2018 MAZDA3 including an optional sketch drawing. The Mazda Design team will then judge each entry, choosing 10 semi-finalists. Five finalists will be chosen by the Facebook community. Each of the five finalists will be paired with a Mazda designer to hone their concept, which will then be judged and voted on in a second round by fellow Facebook members.

Voting will take place over the course of a week, with the winning designer traveling to Los Angeles to hone their work with the Mazda Design team. Over the course of the ten-day auto show, the winner will bring their vision to fruition, ending with a full-scale model that represents their view of what the 2018 MAZDA3 will be.

"The 'Mazda Design Challenge' is an exciting, interactive competition that capitalizes on the power and influence of social networking," said David Klan, director of marketing, MNAO. "By inviting young voices into the highly classified and secretive design process, Mazda will prove it's a company involved in an active partnership with its customers."

"Usually the design ideas come from inside our studio, but this is a rare opportunity for my team to look at design through our potential customers' eyes," added von Holzhausen. "Never before has any other automaker built a concept car on the show stand, in full view of show attendees. The pressure's really going to be on all of us -- especially the contest winner -- to get it finished in time for the closing weekend of the show."

Travel, accommodations, $1,000 spending cash and a new MAZDA3 to drive during their stay awaits the winner. In addition, the winner will have the opportunity to take the microphone to introduce the final concept at its unveiling on the final day of the show.

The contest is open only to residents of the United States, and begins on September 25 and ends on November 7, 2007 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Participants must enter by visiting Facebook.com.

BillSpradlin
10-01-2007, 04:35 PM
"Travel, accommodations, $1,000 spending cash and a new MAZDA3 to drive during their stay awaits the winner. In addition, the winner will have the opportunity to take the microphone to introduce the final concept at its unveiling on the final day of the show."

Is it just me, or is that kind of a weeksauce prize?

bluecanvas
10-01-2007, 05:05 PM
So you need to be a U.S. resident, sign up through facebook, design them a cool concept car for a measly $1,000 and spend 10 days laboring to build the prototype on a show stage with a Mazda crew.

That's even more brilliant than Peugot's cheap ass contest. :wip:

Artbot
10-01-2007, 05:14 PM
"Travel, accommodations, $1,000 spending cash and a new MAZDA3 to drive during their stay awaits the winner. In addition, the winner will have the opportunity to take the microphone to introduce the final concept at its unveiling on the final day of the show."

Is it just me, or is that kind of a weeksauce prize?

Yeah, this is weak. Seems like everyone should get that "prize" just for entering!

Metty
10-01-2007, 06:42 PM
"We'll give you $1000 dollars, a free rental car, and a cheap ass redeye flight" (all you have to do is desing a car, that we would pay our desingers $100,000 a year to do, plus benefits, and vacation time, and one HELL of a deal on cars, if not free cars to drive if you work there"

now, if they offered a JOB as a prize, THEN it might sound worth while. damn corporates.

CHRiTTeR
10-01-2007, 06:54 PM
1000$ for a winning cardesign?! lol :scream:

BigPixolin
10-01-2007, 06:57 PM
All contests amount to free work and do nothing but degrade this profession. Then cg artists wonder why they get no respect.

Venkman
10-01-2007, 07:28 PM
A free trip, $1000, bragging rights and a Mazda 3, which is $14,500 with nothing on it (manual transmission, etc) and can easily climb above $23,000 depending on options.

I dunno, it seems if you needed a car and you submit a design and win, that's not a bad prize- even if you just sold the car for ca$h. It isn't like Mazda would be asking you for revisions like another client. They'll just change your design as they need to.

You could turn around and sell that car for $12,000, easy.

So is it worth $13,000 and a free trip?

BigPixolin
10-01-2007, 07:48 PM
A free trip, $1000, bragging rights and a Mazda 3, which is $14,500 with nothing on it (manual transmission, etc) and can easily climb above $23,000 depending on options.

I dunno, it seems if you needed a car and you submit a design and win, that's not a bad prize- even if you just sold the car for ca$h. It isn't like Mazda would be asking you for revisions like another client. They'll just change your design as they need to.

You could turn around and sell that car for $12,000, easy.

So is it worth $13,000 and a free trip?

Looks like you get the car to drive only while you are there.

Venkman
10-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Looks like you get the car to drive only while you are there.

Well, that sours my opinion of it. Winning a car may not have been a bad idea, but for the day? Come on....

trthing
10-01-2007, 08:05 PM
... Travel, accommodations, $1,000 spending cash and a new MAZDA3 to drive during their stay awaits the winner...

Unless you plan to stay there indefinitely, it is indeed a weak@ss prize...

Daniel-B
10-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Back when I was a Junior in high school (around 2000) I designed a future "Dodge Ram" in an art class. Low and behold, the current model, looks about 95% like my design back then. I didn't even get $1000. :shrug:

Artbot
10-01-2007, 08:55 PM
And it's an essay contest where artwork is optional:

"To enter, contestants must submit a 150-word description of their vision of the 2018 MAZDA3 including an optional sketch drawing."

So here's my entry:

I'd make a car sooooo cool that it would be better than lolkatz, youtube, OJ Simpson and Paris Hilton rolled into one! ZOMG!.!.!.!.1.!.!.!.!.!

(If that's too short to meet the 150 word requirement, just add more !.!.!.1.!.!.!..!!'s as needed)

L.A., here I come!

Metty
10-01-2007, 10:00 PM
And it's an essay contest where artwork is optional:

"To enter, contestants must submit a 150-word description of their vision of the 2018 MAZDA3 including an optional sketch drawing."

So here's my entry:

I'd make a car sooooo cool that it would be better than lolkatz, youtube, OJ Simpson and Paris Hilton rolled into one! ZOMG!.!.!.!.1.!.!.!.!.!

(If that's too short to meet the 150 word requirement, just add more !.!.!.1.!.!.!..!!'s as needed)

L.A., here I come!

LOL you got my vote!

DoubleSupercool
10-01-2007, 10:51 PM
I have to say that "contests" like this really are a mixed blessing. On one hand as an up and coming designer it *is* a great way to get noticed, meet people and often work on interesting concepts.

On the other, much bigger hand, it is an incredibly cheap and lazy way to not pay people for very expensive work under the guise of giving you a break into the industry.

I cast my mind back to the Modest Mouse music video contest. Sure you got a bunch of (lo-res) green screen footage to work on and the chance to have your video seen worldwide, but on the flipside, you are essentially making a freaking music video for an A-grade band and their very rich record company for free and giving up all rights to it. The prize? An iMac!! lol. They wouldn't even stump for a MacPro desktop. As a bonus, the company gets to choose from hundreds of concepts that they didn't have to pay for.

It's like all this baloney about "web 2.0" and "empowering people to express themselves through user-generated content". To interpret this: "Like reality TV, it is way cheaper for Joe Internet to make their own dreck and *give* it to us, a multi-national media corporation, than for us to pay professional writers, crews and directors."

Don't worry though . . . it will look great on your reel.

HellBoy
10-01-2007, 11:12 PM
They should really be offerening a free Mazda car. I mean come on, you're designing them a car that will be probably sold in a 5 figure digit that will be driving by hundereds if not thousands of people around the world. A free Mazda wouldn't hurt the company :D

Bullit
10-01-2007, 11:59 PM
My opinion is the same of much here. Lame contest for that kind of prize. If it was an internship okay...even then i have always the thinking they are just sucking ideas from everyone.

DrBalthar
10-02-2007, 08:09 AM
I don't know what Mazda is thinking but I think in 2018 there will not be that many cars anymore at least no one can afford to keep them running except for the upper 10000s.

I hope they get an entry from James Howard Kunstler: A major cluster****!

CHRiTTeR
10-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Don't worry though . . . it will look great on your reel.

Yeah, lets do everything for free! :scream:

BradT
10-02-2007, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't get carried away with it. I doubt that the winning design will be used for anything more than discussion points for the marketing team and low-level inspiration for the real designers for a styling direction that will appear way before 2017. I suspect they just want to get a feel for what young wanna-be future designers think is cool. Mazda has done some really "out there" concepts that they have no intention of producing, just to see what the reaction is.

In 2016, you'll see a really cool looking mazda concept that will have nothing to do with the winning design, then in 2018 you'll see watered down boring version of that concept with all the excitement ripped out, actually come to market. Isn't that the way it usually works?

My entry would just be a photo of the last rx-7. That was a beautiful design.

ronaldomiranda
10-04-2007, 11:15 AM
:)

1.000$ for desing a Car for a Gigant like Mazda? its a joke ;)

i would rather prefer a ticket to disneyland with tons of burguers,

since i never had been there :D

CGTalk Moderation
10-04-2007, 11:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.