PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Demo Reel

-dc-
09-30-2007, 08:59 PM
Hey guys, just finished cutting a new demo reel...

Check it out and tell me what you think:

(http://www.creaturetd.com/JoeHarkinsDemoReel.mov) http://www.creaturetd.com/JoeHarkinsDemoReel.mov (http://www.creaturetd.com/JoeHarkinsDemoReel.mov)

I couldn't include anything from Beowulf or I Am Legend, as they haven't been released yet.

Breakdown:

300 - Rhino and Elephant (rigging/secondary anim) - Hydraulx
GhostRider - Ghostrider, Motorcycle, Horse, Chains, Wallow digital double (rigging) - Imageworks
Constantine - Seplavite flying demons (rigging/secondary anim) - Tippett
Hellboy - Behemoth, Hellboy (rigging, syflex cloth) - Tippett
Matrix: Revolutions - Mjolnir ship (rigging/secondary anim and fx) - Tippett
League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Hyde digital double (rigging, shot sculpting, syflex cloth)

I wish I had more wireframe renders and/or test renders, but those are really hard to get.

:)

Cheers,
Joe

hakanpersson
09-30-2007, 09:24 PM
As you noted, more wires and background content would be really nice to have, so I can see the work that you did, not that I doubt you know what you are doing, considering the final results! Besides that, its amazing stuff, congratz for participating in such projects:)

Ranimate
09-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Wow, awesome projects to be part of.
Top notch quality on all of them man.

I did have some issues with the reel itself, I think it was too long and the music didnt fit at all, at a certain point I lowered the volume and even scrubbed forward... sorry bro.
I think you have awesome stuff but still you need to decide what is best for you and edit something shorter with better music to fit the editing. But hey, thats just me.

Other than that? Awesome projects and really well done!

:cool:

Ranimate

-dc-
10-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback! :)

I picked the music because I thought it fit with the action of the sequences...what would you suggest though, something heavier, lighter? Editing wise, I was trying to pick the best shots that I worked on.

In terms of length, it's only 3 minutes, that's not too long for a pro reel (5 mins is a good limit I think).

Thanks!
Joe

Ranimate
10-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Hey -dc-

I understand exactly what u are saying, I watched it again and I realized what bothered me, Its not that the reel is too long, Its the fact that you show us alot of amazing shots that are too long. Each piece you show is long, I'd edit it. Give us a taste for more.

I tried watching it with different music, I dont know why? but you know what sounded good with it? the soundtrack of the best game ever - Halo.
Since you have slow motion and pieces that touch our inside, the Halo music is sooo touchy combined. You can try and play this at the same time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0mQk7JEVq4&mode=related&search= .
That's just me though.

Still enjoyed watching ;)

:applause:

Ranimate

-dc-
10-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback Ranimate! :) I like your music selection, it fits well I think. I'll have to find the CD. I'll see if I can edit the reel down, maybe cut the length on some of the shots.

I'll post a new reel when i'm finished (probably this weekend).

Cheers,
Joe

jason108
10-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Hey Joe,

Thanks for posting!

Thanks for SuperToons as well! Man that video changed alot of things for me creatively. The project I'm doing would not be nearly as good without supertoons lessons, inspiration and tools!!

Jason

-dc-
10-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Hey Jason, thanks! :D I'm glad you like the supertoon stuff, that was a lot of fun working with the guys from Disney on that project. We're hoping to compile everything into a book sometime, so stay tuned for that.

I just got the Halo 2 soundtrack, definitely going to use the track Ranimate suggests, I think it fits better...and time for some editing. I was pretty lazy with throwing the sequences together. I'm going to try to mix it up a bit.

Cheers,
Joe

grantmoore3d
10-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Very nice! I love to see professionl reels, give me an idea of where I can be at some point in my career.

However, I woud like to just mention that the reel really didn't tell me what exactly you do. I watched it, and thoughts, wow... nice clips. But I didnt know what you did until I read your post comments. Personally... I would suggest making that clear within the video by showing the rigging, or whatever you are allowed to display. That way, it's apparent in the reel, and then you can go into more detail in your shot breakdown.

Other than that, I am feeling a lot of envy right now... stupid school is taking too long to complete damnit! :P

-dc-
10-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks Grant. Unfortunately getting wireframes and test footage of shots is damn near impossible when working at major studios. In fact, getting the final shots is sometimes difficult. I generally rip most of my stuff from the DVDs after the fact. I have one or two crappy renders from a few projects (matrix:revolutions, hellboy), but they were hard to get, don't look that great, and don't indicate what I did.

For a professional reel, the breakdown is everything. A breakdown sheet for this kind of reel would have probably a paragraph per sequence of shots, detailing my contributions and exactly what I did. In terms of detailed reels, probably students have the advantage there, since they generally own and have access to all of their content.

Sometimes the bonus features on DVD's have some breakdowns, but so far I haven't found any with shots I've worked on :(

Anyways, thanks for the feedback! :D

Cheers,
Joe

NcatDesigner
10-02-2007, 09:16 PM
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

You must be proud of yourself.

great works! It's amazing. What do you feel when you participate in movies like Matrix or 300?????

What software did you use?? I'm starter in MAYA.

-dc-
10-03-2007, 04:33 AM
Ok, I couldn't wait...I've updated it with a new soundtrack (thanks Ran!) and some edits...still could use some work probably.

Also, I rendered out at a higher res with better quality. It'll take longer to download, but I think it's worth it. :D

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Joe

NickWhitmire
10-03-2007, 06:45 AM
yeeaaaa.....that's pretty sick. two of my favorite movies are on there!!! really well done...i think in general it would have been nice to have seen some bones moving along with mesh deformations...but still......very good

Grayscale
10-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Good stuff Joe. One thing scares me on the breakdown sheet. I see animation! haha. I'm just kidding man. Great stuff. You've always done well, glad to see that it's continuing.

Booyah
10-03-2007, 02:21 PM
I think the only blockbuster you haven't worked on is Pirates series:) I like the halo music on there but it really makes me think a lot of the game when watching your reel. It;s just so popular it evokes that imagery which might take just a tad from your reel. As far as the breakdown, you could just have some text for each shot saying i did this or that etc. Great stuff, totally jealous:thumbsup:

-dc-
10-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks guys for all of the comments, really appreciate the feedback! :D Good to see you're around Ryan ;)

Cheers,
Joe

TheGreat
10-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Swweeeeeeettt

-dc-
10-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Ok, so now I'm wondering about the halo music...everyone says it reminds them about the game...
what if I went with some other movie soundtrack, or a piece by a band like mogwai or explosions in the sky?

Thanks for all the great feedback! :D

ktxed
10-05-2007, 08:42 PM
I didn't recognise the song :) never played the game
but on top of that i liked the reel very much.
The shots are a bit long but considering how much work was
put in them and the quality work you're excused. :twisted:

Respect man! You really deserve it :eek:

yahiamy
10-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Amazing Work!!! WAW

Kid-Mesh
10-07-2007, 03:40 AM
Great demo reel! You have had an opportunity to work on some awesome projects. I think the music choice was great as it semed to fit the themes perfectly :thumbsup:

-dc-
10-17-2007, 06:38 AM
Reel Taken Offline due to bandwidth issues, sorry.

rebolt
10-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Hi Joe first of all Congratulations for working on such great and impressive projects :). Great work now the cuts are fine quite smaller than before. But i guess in the first sequence why you showed the Beowulf character turntable with split screen with same movements on both the sides ? But in second shot it is fair enough to show the rigging test for front & back.

Also all your footages are not fit to screen size. Last thing is still you didn't mentioned that what you did on those movie projects like 300, Matrix etc etc as you just mentioned the movie name. Just put a small description or even a single line so that one can know that in this shot you worked on this model etc so it gives a viewer clear idea about your work.

But as i mentioned before Great work. Its really proud to work on such big projects isn't it ?

CHEERS :thumbsup:

TheGreat
10-17-2007, 07:40 PM
when I watched it the first time, I thought the halo music was a bit weird.

Secondly, I didn't understand what part you worked on in the shot / sequences, I think this is very important because it actually lets someone know you worked on rigging / lighting / modeling / texturing / composite, etc...

Ajouz
10-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Dude... it's just awesome to work on such projects, it would be great if there are wireframes and such; thanks for sharing.

ilusiondigital
10-18-2007, 11:26 PM
I canīt download your reel. The link does not work.

girando
10-18-2007, 11:36 PM
man... I cant get the link to work.. bet its real sweet though :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-18-2007, 11:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.