PDA

View Full Version : Constrained objects jump to original position if parent are moved

shenmue
09-30-2007, 02:32 AM
Hi

It is very simple question.
If I do a point or rotation constraint between 2 objects,I can move the constrained object,but, if after than I move one of the parents,the object gets back to the original place.I come from Max,and there the problem was solved just creating another transformation layer,so the constraints work underneath.But I donīt know how to do that in Maya.Help pleeeeease.

thx

Global
09-30-2007, 07:19 AM
Hey Shenmue, Maya does require a slightly different approach when it comes to things like this. Unlike Max, where you can add multiple controllers to a single object, in Maya you'd need to add multiple group or null nodes as a parent above the object.

Your case in point for example. In this situation you could select your object and group it (ctrl-G) Then you could apply your constraint to the group not the object. That way you are free to animate the object on top of the constraint. Personally I always put in a number of null nodes into a rig or constraint setup, so that I have freedom to animate on top of constraints etc.

shenmue
09-30-2007, 01:04 PM
ok!!Thank you Global.I almost started to think that Iīll need to do some Mel script,to grab and fit values :hmm: .When something simple starts to look complicated to fix,itīs probably wrong.
Thanks,the transition max to maya is becoming better:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
09-30-2007, 01:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.