PDA

View Full Version : Well here goes nothing....

PaulyBarnes
04-07-2003, 06:52 AM
Ok guys, captain newb here and I going to finally take a stab at presenting one of my first (Non-Tut) models on this board... I am open to crits. I know its nothing complex, but its something I absolutely cared about as a child.

http://www.designsbypauly.com/pauly/STUFF/DragonsLairCab.jpg

What do you think? Ever waste countless hours and dollars on this machine? I know I have. :annoyed:

Mechis
04-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Hey man, that looks pretty sweet. I honestly didn't realize it was a render until I took a second look. :beer: awesome work. Did you use a special rendering technique, or is that a normal LW renderer?

Pengy
04-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Now THAT does bring back a few memories.!!! Oh yes.!!

Nice bit of work there but it would look 50 cachillion times better if it was put into a nice scene. The stark grey bg does it no justice at all. Still, a nice model and render though. Nice 1 !!

Take it easy
Pengy

cg_matt
04-07-2003, 10:43 AM
ooooooooooooohhhhh, aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

:bounce:

How I'd love that in my flat!

My life revolved around all the Dragon's Lair series & Space Ace!!!

Don Bluth rules!!!

For a minute I thought you were just posting an image of the cabinet!

Nice render!

Two things though. If you can find the side art for the cabinet that would
add a lot to the image.

Try here (I'm sure you know about this site already but in case not . . . )

Dragon's Lair Project (http://www.dragons-lair-project.com)

Is the coin slot a texture map? I'd have a go at modelling it, as it looks
a little flat compared to the rest.

Apart from that nice!

"Dragon's Lair <sword slash> a fantasy adventure where you become
a valiant Knight, on a quest to rescue a fair princess from the cluthes of
an evil dragon!!!"

:)

dies-irae
04-07-2003, 11:22 AM
WOW!!

in my youth i got REALLY near to buy a laserdisc just to play the game!!!

great render and RACKING GREAT IDEA!!! :thumbsup:

PHILL_JAMES2000
04-07-2003, 11:33 AM
Nice :thumbsup: I did a Galaxian cab a while back and sneaked it into one of my visuals, my boss didn't see the funny side, though :D I agree with Matt about the coin slot, is it mapped?

PaulyBarnes
04-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Thanks all! Yeah, I must regret that the coin-op is not only mapped...but horribly mapped. I haven't finished the model below the control panel yet and I didnt want to have a dead space there so I faked it. I will model it to give it more depth though!

I used Lightwave 7.5 out of the box for this render...I rendered out a 32bit TIFF and placed it on a dull background on Photoshop. Why dull? I honestly have no freaking clue. :shrug: I should change that when I finish modeling the rest of it. lol.

I appeciate the feedback, keep it coming!

leigh
04-07-2003, 07:20 PM
That's really cool!

Some suggestions:

- Make the outer black bit (the frame) a little dirty. These things tend to get pretty grimey from people leaning on them and such.

- Make the top image slightly self-illumenated, like it is one of those perspex back-lit efforts. Might look pretty cool :)

- Add some reflection to the screen.

- the ball on the top of the joystick should be grubby.

- The area with the coin slot looks suspiciously like it is just an image :curious:

But otherwise, very nice work :buttrock:

PaulyBarnes
04-07-2003, 09:36 PM
Wow. Leigh the texture queen made a post on my thread...dude... :airguitar

originally posted by Leigh
- Make the outer black bit (the frame) a little dirty. These things tend to get pretty grimey from people leaning on them and such.

- Make the top image slightly self-illumenated, like it is one of those perspex back-lit efforts. Might look pretty cool

- Add some reflection to the screen.

- the ball on the top of the joystick should be grubby.

Excellent! I will definately put these ideas into the next stage of the cab!

- The area with the coin slot looks suspiciously like it is just an image.

Busted :annoyed: . Yeah, that will be modeled in the next couple of days...I'll make up for it, I promise!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.