PDA

View Full Version : Getting Mocap data into a T-pose

gdogfunk
09-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Hello,

I have a character all setup in MB and he's running and jumping from a Mocap file import. However, I need to get this guy into a T-pose for the first frame so I can import the FBX into Electric Image for skinning and rendering. How can I get this guy into a Tpose on the first frame in MB? I can't seem to keyframe anything once the Mocap file is applied.

Please help!

Thanks!

Ryan

AVTPro
09-28-2007, 10:45 AM
There's two ways.

MB comes with a T-pose clip. You can drop that on the story board.
here's the other:

http://www.eitechnologygroup.com/downloads/tutorials/eias/FBXtoEIAS.zip

gdogfunk
09-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks Alonzo, but your tutorial isn't quite what I'm looking for yet. I have applied a run-jump motion file that does not have the Tpose. You say MB comes with a Tpose file...can you please tell me where it is? I can't find it.

I understand that I can apply a Tpose, bake it, export it as FBX and then take my animation data, bake it and then import the Tpose 'take' and then blend the 2 together. I am THIS close to getting it, but in the Motion Blend tab, I can see the t-pose blend into the run jump, but it's not coming through to the character. (I told a control rig to use the stance position and tried to export that - though I don't think it's working because I can't seem to set a keyframe for the still 't-pose'...This is probably easier than I am making it out to be, but I'm stuck. I've tried from scratch about 20 times now and still can't get a starting T-pose....VERY frustrating!!!

Any other tips you can provide would be great!

Thanks!

Ryan

AVTPro
09-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Ryan. it's in the tutorial. Two methods. File name as well. I understand. This is why I do DVDs.

gdogfunk
09-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Cool, thanks, that did help some, but right before I saw that part, I got it going in MB....brought it into EI and skinned, however it's now nearly as nice looking as it was in MB...there's some stretching and stuff happening...weight maps?

Thanks again,
Ryan

AVTPro
09-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Some? The tutorial is accurate. T-pose, the file name and this procedure is exact. If something is scaled, check your model. But I know both procedures in that tutorial work.

gdogfunk
09-28-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm sure it's accurate, but your tutorial deals with a single mesh...my character has separate limbs and when he jumps in EI, the top of the leg comes poking through the torso. The FBX file also seems to have imported several skeletons, so it took a moment to figure out which one to actually skin.

Another oddity is that all of my groups are importing lower than the horizon line except for the head and hands...I can move them into place easily enough, just think it's odd.

Still experimenting...

Thanks!

Ryan

AVTPro
09-29-2007, 04:16 AM
Hey \m/

I'm under the gun with a couple of large projects so forgive the slow response.
Also, it's a little hard to tell what's going on without seeing a photo. If you can post then it may help.

First I need to say, if you are having trouble with Weight Maps in EIAS, write me about getting a DVD. It's $85 and you can purchase it through my paypal at athreet@adelphia.net. I'll send it fedex as a courtesy if you like (because I know you). Two, I did do a "FBX tutorial as well. It was $35. The sound is poor but it is effective demonstration of the workflow without a hitch.

OK. taking off the Salesman Hat...and putting on the TD hat.

I notice two errors in your 2nd and 3rd post.

1. You don't have to export each time you add an motion clip. It's just one plot for the T-pose and motion clip together. Notice the slide from my tutorial below. If you export for each bake, as you stated, it may where you are picking up scaling problems.

2. Also, in the tutorial, my character "Pupil" is not a single mesh geometry. He has at least maybe 5 or six parts...head, body, two gloves, two boots and a belt. They are all separate parts from the body. So effectively he is a lot like your character with separate limbs. I mean...those are some big hands and feet...not to mention two eye balls.

3. The extra skeletons are probably just control rigs that were not deleted in MB.

My highest recommendation is to get the well of information loaded in the DVD and FBX tutorials. I know how frustrating this stuff can be, so I want to share my experience and possible save a few moans and groans for others.

Second, Double check your scaling, I have problems with this as well once too. Make sure from start to first, you geometry is one on one if possible.

In the tutorial I do scale my geometry and tweak it a bit, but that's just fundamental editing.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/AVTPro/Picture15.png (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=544409)

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2007, 04:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.