PDA

View Full Version : How to set a freeze frame?

nanni700
09-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Hi all,

i have a quicktime movie as a background and i want to use a specific frame as a freeze frame. How can a set the frame number and freeze it?

Thanks for help,
nanni

osxrules
09-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Use the TimeX node. Just add it right after the clip and set the value to whatever frame you want.

Don't add the node way downstream as it likes to screw things up and I seem to get circular dependency problems a lot doing that. I don't understand why they didn't design the TimeX node to be able to work anywhere in the tree. So many times I wished I could just push an entire area of the composite by a few frames.

I once put a TimeX node at the bottom of a long tree and I thought it was working but then I checked some of the upstream nodes and it had screwed up most of my keyframes, it was a mess. Thankfully I hadn't saved before I checked the other nodes.

NickJushchyshyn
09-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Yup. TimeX is the easiest way to go for a freeze frame.
Here's a quick video demo of how to make it work:
http://www.nickfx.com/cow/cow_nej_shk_freeze.mov

The important thing to keep in mind is that TimeX affects the FileIn node directly, for the entire comp. If you pull a branching noddle off the FileIn that bypasses the TimeX ... the branch is still affected by the TimeX.

If you want to have a non-freezeframe branch of your clip in the same comp, you'll need to duplicate the FileIn so that you have a completely seperate flow with the clip that is not connected to the TimeX.

Hope this helps.
Have fun.

osxrules
09-28-2007, 10:45 AM
The important thing to keep in mind is that TimeX affects the FileIn node directly, for the entire comp. If you pull a branching noddle off the FileIn that bypasses the TimeX ... the branch is still affected by the TimeX.

Also, for some reason, even if you disable the node using i, it's still affecting the timing. You actually have to remove it from the tree or delete it. Just hit e to remove it and n to re-insert it.

Hugh
10-01-2007, 03:35 PM
I wrote a thing about the TimeX node on my blog a while back... You might find it interesting (incidentally, it doesn't mention the ignoring not doing anything bit....)

You can find it here (http://www.brokenpipefilms.com/unframedvfx/2005/05/shake-tip-the-timex-node/)

osxrules
10-03-2007, 01:16 PM
I wrote a thing about the TimeX node on my blog a while back... You might find it interesting (incidentally, it doesn't mention the ignoring not doing anything bit....)

You can find it here (http://www.brokenpipefilms.com/unframedvfx/2005/05/shake-tip-the-timex-node/)

Haha, you're right there:

"If you’re not afraid of it, then you shouldn’t be using it."

I just don't understand why it doesn't do the simple task it's given, which would be to fetch the image at Time x. Why does it have to screw with keyframes at all?

Since it works its way up the tree, when it hits a time node, no matter where it is, anything above should return the image at the newly calculated time. Since the time values are worked out exactly, this shouldn't be an issue at all. TimeX should be a read-only node so that it doesn't actually retime anything but request a frame at a given time.

CGTalk Moderation
10-03-2007, 01:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.