PDA

View Full Version : Newly built sytem won't start.

jademcquade
09-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Hi guys.

I have just built a system consisting of a mixture of new and used parts. I am trying to start the sytem with the bare essentials but it won't start. The front case Hard Disk activity light and Power light remain on but the CPU fan doesn't spin.

Here is the specs:

ECS P4M890T-M Motherboard (New)
Enermax 600W Noisetaker PSU (New)
(1) Crucial 1GB 240-PIN DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM (New)

Pentium 4 3.4Ghz LGA775 Processor (Used)
Coolermaster CPU Fan (Used)

These components are all supposed to work together and I have made sure I have made all the correct connections on the motherboard. The CPU was and fan was taken from my old machine which was working and I have cleaned and reapplyed Thermal Compound to the CPU and Heat Sink.

Am I right to think that this sytem should boot without having to play around with anything else? Please help I have spent about 150 pouns trying to make this thing work.

singularity2006
09-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Do you have all your power plugs in the right spot? ATX + 12v rail? In addition, are you sure the fan itself works and is plugged into the appropriate power areas? Some boards have multiple power plugs near the CPU and if you use the wrong one, it will not boot. It might even be the case the pins are bent/backwards.

Also, check to make sure that your RAM is inserted firmly with clips completely vertical. To be sure, undo them, and plug them back in.

Lastly, make sure your motherboard is NOT GROUNDED. I've had instances where I screwed the board down too tight and it made contact with my case, grounding it (and make sure your HSF is not grounding the board as I have done that before as well...)

good luck. :)

brianod
09-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Well, it could be a lot of things. Do you have a video card or onboard MB video enabled?

Also, some MB's will have a series of beeps that are a code as to whats wrong but you must have the pc speaker installed (not a sound card).

The fan not starting is the primary bug and your best clue. I'm sure it works but is being held down. But your system should boot without a fan. It will overheat and shut down in a minute but the fan is usually not "smart".

Your fan and cpu were fine before and I would bet thay are still good. The primary new failing component of the 3 new pieces you have is the motherboard. Just statistically speaking.

The hard disk light being on bugs me. Unplug the hard drive power and data cable. You can boot POST with just a MB, cpu, memory, vid card and a power supply.

This could be something as simple as bad memory but bad memory sticks are somewhat rare. This kind of problem is always solved by process of elimination.

brianod
09-26-2007, 11:15 PM
I checked the memory specs for your board. It requires ddr2 400 or 533.

Your ram is considerably faster. Also Crucial is not listed as an approved brand (just means it wasn't tested, doesn't necessarily mean it won't work).

Memory stick should work in either memory slot (according to the manual) so try moving it first, then try a slower memory, if you have one.

davijin
09-27-2007, 12:38 AM
its always a possibility that the motherboard is faulty. even hd on the system (dont even think you need ram in either), bios should still boot if the mobo is good.

my dad was repairing a system and put a biostar mobo in it and a pentium d in it. it didnt boot up at all. he sent it back and got another one, that one didnt work either. so I recommened he return it and get a lowend asus that was around the same price, it worked perfectly then.

brianod
09-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Just a followup to the last reply. You absolutely need ram to POST (Power On Self Test). To get it to POST, which means to light up the screen with the bios information and count up the memory you need a working MB, Ram, Video card (onboard video ok), Power supply and of course a CPU. If it lights up the display with text with this minimum configuration you pretty much have a good system.

lots
09-27-2007, 03:12 PM
It really depends on the motherboard. Some boards will give you beep codes if RAM is missing, some wont do anything at all.

I don't think I've seen any board that will display anything on the screen if RAM is not present...

Personally I would not use the ECS board. They tend to be poor quality.

jademcquade
10-02-2007, 05:53 PM
I used the Crucial Memory Advisor tool which selected that specific type of RAM for my machine so I would hope it was correct.

I have accepted defeat and am taking my PC to the repair shop. I will post details of what the guy said was the problem when it's fixed.

Cheers for the help.

CGTalk Moderation
10-02-2007, 05:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.