PDA

View Full Version : animation to audio

thehive
09-26-2007, 03:12 PM
is there a way to have audio drive animation? like in AE

WmH
09-26-2007, 08:01 PM
The Create Curves subtree gives you control over sampling of the audio to be
converted into a curve. These curves appear in the Globals tab as a local parameter,
and can then be used by other functions in Shake as standard expressions. This is an
extremely powerful feature, and can be used to synchronize nearly any animated
parameter to the waveform of your audio...

(see page 285-9 of the shake manual)

osxrules
09-27-2007, 05:46 PM
I wish the audio panel had a high pass filter as well as a low pass one. It would be great for isolating a frequency range for animation. For example, let's say you use a commercial song, it may have a singer and all sorts of higher frequency instruments but you maybe want to animate something against just the bass, then possibly another element against another range.

It's a pity the audio wasn't dealt with using nodes too.

WmH
09-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Shake is image editor (compositor). There are many good audio processors available (several free). This gives you much greater capability and flexibility in isolating specific audio components to drive animation characteristics. In your example it would be simple to (pre)process audio track(s) with a high Q parametric bandpass to pick out a specific spectrum and use it to drive an animation parameter.

thehive
09-28-2007, 02:42 PM
very cool thanks guys all great comments an ideas

osxrules
10-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Shake is image editor (compositor). There are many good audio processors available (several free). This gives you much greater capability and flexibility in isolating specific audio components to drive animation characteristics. In your example it would be simple to (pre)process audio track(s) with a high Q parametric bandpass to pick out a specific spectrum and use it to drive an animation parameter.

True but another problem of not handling audio with the nodes is let's say you are compositing multiple clips (10+) with audio. How are you supposed to keep the audio sync after the composite? When you render clips with audio, it only renders the audio clips in the audio panel, not the ones actually attached to the movies. AE on the other hand keeps the video and audio together and has audio editing capability. It makes life a lot easier that way IMO.

pgraham
10-03-2007, 10:13 PM
It's a pity the audio wasn't dealt with using nodes too.ever looked into Houdini? I just tried using it for the first time last month... steep learning curve but very, very interesting. I think the audio stuff is even in the cheap $2000 version.

osxrules
10-04-2007, 12:06 PM
[ever looked into Houdini? I just tried using it for the first time last month... steep learning curve but very, very interesting. I think the audio stuff is even in the cheap $2000 version.

Yeah I tried it not too long ago but it kept crashing for me and it's Windows only so I have to keep rebooting into Windows. The interface is complicated.

Overall it looks pretty good though in that it has a node interface to renderman but I sort of have a Renderman workflow setup and I use it with Shake and I don't want to give Shake up. The more I use it though, the more I fear that day is drawing close.

I was using AE just last week and it was so good to have an undo that worked. On-the-fly proxy change and not one that takes a few seconds to render when you let go the mouse. A cache that actually works - you scrub through a portion and you can then playback in real-time. A timeline that reads your mouse position correctly. Scalable keyframes. Render times about 1/3rd of Shake's. No interface glitches. No color shift on rendering to certain Quicktime codecs. Audio is linked as mentioned.

Of course it lacks the node workflow and expressions are harder to use and it doesn't use an ascii project file so I'd just have to pray a project file didn't crash AE. Also, building custom effects seems easier to do in Shake.

I tried Combustion too and it seems ok but performance wasn't that reliable and it was a bit unstable.

One thing I like about Houdini is that it's a powerful 3D system as well as a compositor so I'll keep checking it out trying to get it to work. It gets a good reputation. I tend to prefer multiple packages over all-in-one solutions but they do have more convenient workflows.

Hugh
10-05-2007, 12:05 PM
pgraham: Have you used Houdini Halo for full on comping? (as opposed to using it just to do slap comps of renders)

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2007, 12:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.