PDA

View Full Version : Scythe Wolf, Robert Chang (2D)

Lunatique
04-06-2003, 10:23 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/2652/2652_1147022848_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/2652/2652_1147022848_large.jpg)

Title: Scythe Wolf
Name: Robert Chang
Software:

This is the promo painting for Scythe Wolf, an animated TV series I created/wrote. It was slated to be produced at one point, but the funding fell through.

Closeups:
http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/illustrations/scythe_wolf/scythe_wolf-closeup1.jpg

http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/illustrations/scythe_wolf/scythe_wolf-closeup3.jpg

http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/illustrations/scythe_wolf/scythe_wolf-closeup6.jpg

http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/illustrations/scythe_wolf/scythe_wolf-closeup5.jpg

http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/illustrations/scythe_wolf/scythe_wolf-closeup2.jpg

http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/illustrations/scythe_wolf/scythe_wolf-closeup4.jpg

http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/illustrations/scythe_wolf/scythe_wolf-closeup7.jpg

>> Hi resolution image << (http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/scythe_wolf/scythe_wolf.jpg)

Here's the background story for Scythe Wolf:

Who is Scythe Wolf?

Ask any warrior worthy of his blade in Jian-Hu(martial arts underworld) the name "Lian-Lang(Scythe Wolf) ," and you'll get the following description:

Roughly two years ago, a mysterious young girl stunned the Jiang-Hu scene with her lightening fast scythe fighting technique and her ethereal beauty. Many men admired her beauty, yet they also feared her skills. She is aloof and dislikes attention, but despite her petite frame and her avoidance of crowds, her presence is hardly inconspicuous, due to the seven-foot scythe she wields, and an entourage that consisted of a pack of wild wolves.

Those lucky enough to be considered a friend by her, knows her as "Lulu," a nickname derived from her real name, "Chen Yue-Lu."(word for word, “Yue” means Jade, and “Lu” means Dew. Chen is her last name.) If you ask the few friends she has, this is what you'll learn about Lulu:

Lulu doesn't trust people easily, yet when she does, she will protect those close to her with a fierceness one would be foolish to challenge.

Lulu's parents were once disciples of the Uh-Mei clan, but having been disillusioned by the corruption they witnessed, her parents left the clan and began their lives as vagrants. Around the time of Lulu's birth, her parents had befriended a pack of Wild Wolves when they protected a newborn litter of wolf-pups from a hungry tiger. Since then, the siblings Lulu grew up with had been that litter of wolf-pups. It was during that time, Lulu's parents developed the "Wild Wolf Fighting Technique," the result of their intimate understanding of the wolves.

Lulu had been taught the Wild Wolf fighting technique since she was able to walk, and not long after reaching her teens, she mastered that technique and began developing her own fighting style. Lulu was her parents' pride and joy, and they loved Lulu more than anything in the world.

During her fourteenth birthday, the family had stayed with a dear friend of Lulu's parents, who was a black smith of legendary fame, and the maker of the best weapons in existence. When Lulu showed an affinity for an eyewoo scythe she found in the barn, the black smith forged a scythe that was tailor made for her, redesigned from the traditonal scythe into a deadly weapon. Since then, Lulu had incorporated her scythe, which she named "Black Wolf," into her own fighting style.

During the family's travels, they had taught a number of students-all vagrants like themselves. It was first offered as a gesture of friendship-a way for fellow vagrants to defend themselves in their travels, but soon, the word spread, and people began seeking out the family to be taught. The family never cared much for formality, so no real structure was ever created for the students. The family continued traveling, leaving behind a trail of disciples that they asked politely not to follow them around or treat them like clan masters. The family always stressed that their teachings were based on their friendships with fellow vagrants, not for fame or obedience like the famous clans they despised.

When Lulu was sixteen, her parents were murdered during a trip from Nanjing to Hsa-Men. Lulu was out in the woods hunting for food at the time, and when she returned to her dying parents, they uttered with their dying breath, "Uh-Mei," the name of the clan they had left long ago. After her parent's death, Lulu vowed to track down their killers and avenge their death, but Uh-Mei is one of the largest and most respected clans in Giang-Hu, and she has no idea where to begin.

When the vagrant friends caught news of their teachers' death, they banded together and called themselves the "Wolf Pack." The pack vowed to find Lulu and help her avenge the death of their teachers, but no matter how fast they traveled, they were always a step behind the young girl's trail.

Now, two years later, the Wolf Pack had grown in number, but there was still no sign of Lulu, except for the stories of her travels that has been told by fellow travellers of Giang-Hu. At this point, there were more new members of the Wolf Pack than the original students, and to them, both the name Lulu and Scythe Wolf seemed more like a mysterious legend than a real person. Even though the new members never met the original teachers of the Wild Wolf Technique, their names still inspired a sense of revere.

Now, Scythe Wolf's whereabout has been discovered, and the Wolf Pack began traveling day and night to reach the girl some have began referring to affectionately as "Mother Wolf."

Lulu and her wolves:

Lulu is respected by her wolves, and holds the rank of the alpha wolf. This, by default, prevents her pack to breed new litters—which is a good thing considering their situation. (Only the alpha male and female wolves are allowed to breed in a pack, and since Lulu is human, the pack won’t have new members, unless Lulu gives up her position as the alpha wolf.) Lulu does not tolerate violence shown to the omega wolf by her pack, and she managed to rid her pack of the terrible habit of picking on the omega wolf.

The pack:

Alpha male- “Grey Star”
Beta male- “Dirt King”
Beta female- “Snowy”
Aunts and Uncles- “Lazy Bug” “Sleepy Head” and “Rooster”
Omega- “Baby”

Lunatique
04-06-2003, 10:23 PM
http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/scythe_wolf/scythe_wolf-closeup9.jpg

http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/paintings_drawings/new/scythe_wolf/scythe_wolf-closeup10.jpg

Here's the story of Scythe Wolf:

Who is Scythe Wolf?

Ask any warrior worthy of his blade in Jian-Hu(martial arts underworld) the name "Lian-Lang(Scythe Wolf) ," and you'll get the following description:

Roughly two years ago, a mysterious young girl stunned the Jiang-Hu scene with her lightening fast scythe fighting technique and her ethereal beauty. Many men admired her beauty, yet they also feared her skills. She is aloof and dislikes attention, but despite her petite frame and her avoidance of crowds, her presence is hardly inconspicuous, due to the seven-foot scythe she wields, and an entourage that consisted of a pack of wild wolves.

Those lucky enough to be considered a friend by her, knows her as "Lulu," a nickname derived from her real name, "Chen Yue-Lu."(word for word, “Yue” means Jade, and “Lu” means Dew. Chen is her last name.) If you ask the few friends she has, this is what you'll learn about Lulu:

Lulu doesn't trust people easily, yet when she does, she will protect those close to her with a fierceness one would be foolish to challenge.

Lulu's parents were once disciples of the Uh-Mei clan, but having been disillusioned by the corruption they witnessed, her parents left the clan and began their lives as vagrants. Around the time of Lulu's birth, her parents had befriended a pack of Wild Wolves when they protected a newborn litter of wolf-pups from a hungry tiger. Since then, the siblings Lulu grew up with had been that litter of wolf-pups. It was during that time, Lulu's parents developed the "Wild Wolf Fighting Technique," the result of their intimate understanding of the wolves.

Lulu had been taught the Wild Wolf fighting technique since she was able to walk, and not long after reaching her teens, she mastered that technique and began developing her own fighting style. Lulu was her parents' pride and joy, and they loved Lulu more than anything in the world.

During her fourteenth birthday, the family had stayed with a dear friend of Lulu's parents, who was a black smith of legendary fame, and the maker of the best weapons in existence. When Lulu showed an affinity for an old scythe she found in the barn, the black smith forged a scythe that was tailor made for her, redesigned from the traditonal scythe into a deadly weapon. Since then, Lulu had incorporated her scythe, which she named "Black Wolf," into her own fighting style.

During the family's travels, they had taught a number of students-all vagrants like themselves. It was first offered as a gesture of friendship-a way for fellow vagrants to defend themselves in their travels, but soon, the word spread, and people began seeking out the family to be taught. The family never cared much for formality, so no real structure was ever created for the students. The family continued traveling, leaving behind a trail of disciples that they asked politely not to follow them around or treat them like clan masters. The family always stressed that their teachings were based on their friendships with fellow vagrants, not for fame or obedience like the famous clans they despised.

When Lulu was sixteen, her parents were murdered during a trip from Nanjing to Hsa-Men. Lulu was out in the woods hunting for food at the time, and when she returned to her dying parents, they uttered with their dying breath, "Uh-Mei," the name of the clan they had left long ago. After her parent's death, Lulu vowed to track down their killers and avenge their death, but Uh-Mei is one of the largest and most respected clans in Giang-Hu, and she has no idea where to begin.

When the vagrant friends caught news of their teachers' death, they banded together and called themselves the "Wolf Pack." The pack vowed to find Lulu and help her avenge the death of their teachers, but no matter how fast they traveled, they were always a step behind the young girl's trail.

Now, two years later, the Wolf Pack had grown in number, but there was still no sign of Lulu, except for the stories of her travels that has been told by fellow travellers of Giang-Hu. At this point, there were more new members of the Wolf Pack than the original students, and to them, both the name Lulu and Scythe Wolf seemed more like a mysterious legend than a real person. Even though the new members never met the original teachers of the Wild Wolf Technique, their names still inspired a sense of revere.

Now, Scythe Wolf's whereabout has been discovered, and the Wolf Pack began traveling day and night to reach the girl some have began referring to affectionately as "Mother Wolf."

Lulu and her wolves:

Lulu is respected by her wolves, and holds the rank of the alpha wolf. This, by default, prevents her pack to breed new litters—which is a good thing considering their situation. (Only the alpha male and female wolves are allowed to breed in a pack, and since Lulu is human, the pack won’t have new members, unless Lulu gives up her position as the alpha wolf.) Lulu does not tolerate violence shown to the omega wolf by her pack, and she managed to rid her pack of the terrible habit of picking on the omega wolf.

The pack:

Alpha male- “Grey Star”
Beta male- “Dirt King”
Beta female- “Snowy”
Aunts and Uncles- “Lazy Bug” “Sleepy Head” and “Rooster”
Omega- “Baby”

Spirit2029
04-06-2003, 10:30 PM
Okay Lunatique you just made my day..this is amazing. I absolutley love wolves, and the whole idea behind this piece is just simple....SWEET!!!. I really dont have much to comment on, the wolves are a little blurry, maybey sharpen there layers up in photoshop a bit...but really its just a beautiful piece. Congrats...

Any plans with this?

Spirit2029

phoenix2k
04-06-2003, 10:51 PM
wow.. this is amazing!! for which parts did use use painter, and for which PS?

again... absolutely stunning!! :eek: :thumbsup:

iBlue
04-06-2003, 11:14 PM
i've come to only expect fantastic things from you lunatique, this is beautiful. :)

cakeypigdog
the closeup of the dress/leg is wonderful. looking very nice indeed! well done!

moroten
I can see why those wolves are howling. :thumbsup:

dragonz
04-06-2003, 11:16 PM
All I have to say is...wow, impressive work, very impressive. I love the detail on the girl, and on the weapon. Very very nice. Amazing work.

haslingerDesign
04-06-2003, 11:18 PM
Whow Lunatique,
If I look at this pic for too long, I want to join the scene, sit there between the wolves and the girl......full of flair - no critique

slice56
04-06-2003, 11:21 PM
:drool: that is some stunning detail :drool:

CGmonkey
04-06-2003, 11:25 PM
OH MY GOD!! :buttrock:

SheepFactory
04-06-2003, 11:27 PM
Luna you are on a roll man :)

fellah
04-06-2003, 11:28 PM
wow, beautiful piece of art! can you remember approx how much time you spent on it? would be fun to know.

ki oku
04-06-2003, 11:29 PM
very sweet!

but there things to say.. first i like the close ups more than the whole picture, dont knwo why... second the weapon looks ugly :/ this bevel effect isnt really worked out...

Starv
04-06-2003, 11:30 PM
My jaw just dropped. And stayed down there.
Wonderful. :applause: :applause:

PixeleD
04-06-2003, 11:37 PM
amazing! incredible! no words... :eek::drool:

Angelus26
04-06-2003, 11:53 PM
Wow, stunning!!! The girl looks beautiful and the wolves are fantastic.

Top stuff!:)

stephen2002
04-06-2003, 11:54 PM
excellent work. Could we possibly have a link to the full-res version instead of just seeing all of the little closeups?

Very good job, I can't spot anything wrong with it.

KingMob
04-06-2003, 11:54 PM
Luna: wow keep taking breaks if you can crank out stuff like that more often! AWESOME!

Two of my favorite things..wolves and girls :beer:

One hell of an awesome peice man

Chewey
04-07-2003, 12:00 AM
Thatsa real good! (my Mario voice):applause:

Yorgo12345
04-07-2003, 12:03 AM
:eek: <----me when I saw this!

Racer
04-07-2003, 12:04 AM
Hey, the picture is amazing, just like everyone before me has been saying. I usually don't post but I hate it when I ask for feedback and don't get any constructive criticism. Getting an ego boost is always cool but it won't make you any better and I'm assuming we are all here to try to improve our skills.

First thing that stuck out for me as a 2D guy is that the girl is extremely top heavy. Her bust is very large and her legs are somewhat on the thin side. This could be a style choice but worth pointing out none the less.

The second thing that sticks out is the level of detail on the ground and the leaves. As a style choice, they are very cool but they don't match the amount detail you put into the wolves or the girl and makes the work a bit uneasy.

Her eyes seem a bit large and the blade on her weapon feels like there should be some inside work done on it, etching or engraving of some sort, but thats about it.

Again, the picture is amazing. Definately keep up the good work.

Adam
04-07-2003, 12:06 AM
That is really well done but... I just have one crit. the left side does not look finished to me the hill is way to general and lacking in detail compared to the rest. It is still a million times better than what I can do but that section just makes it a little weaker overall

Great amazing job though :beer:

Temporal
04-07-2003, 12:10 AM
Stupendous drawing,. and I very much like the story
:thumbsup:

DizkoStu
04-07-2003, 12:17 AM
i like it.
my only crit is the wolve on the left side of the girl. the fur needs some tweaking. i think it´s to flat.
but nevertheless this is an amazing piece of art.
:thumbsup:

Milho
04-07-2003, 12:19 AM
Amazing like all your stuff :buttrock:

lildragon
04-07-2003, 12:20 AM
Incredible work you old dawg, I love every inch of detail. She maybe a bit top heavy as Racer said, but that's not such a bad thing ;). The weapon (blade especially) could do with a bit more fine tuning. She's incredibly beautiful man, and the image just draws you in :thumbsup:

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Very very nice work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_apr03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

Spozzfreund
04-07-2003, 12:29 AM
Great work! :eek:

Turbonium
04-07-2003, 12:31 AM
Very well done! Wow.

Just how long did this take you?

j00st81
04-07-2003, 12:39 AM
ULTRA cute :airguitar

I could post some meaningless comments, but I dont think they would matter becouse the more I look at it the more I love it, wow.

defenately one of the best things I've seen here lately on cgtalk

Pedrith
04-07-2003, 12:46 AM
WOW!!!!! This is ..... I mean..WOW!!!! :)

Xaint
04-07-2003, 12:57 AM
I find the gir's face 'flat' a bit .

Good Job!:thumbsup:

HapZungLam
04-07-2003, 12:57 AM
Do you have any further plan on this character? make a comic? novel? 3D characterize it? anything?

JuRrAsStOiL
04-07-2003, 01:02 AM
As usual I really like your painting, BUT
i have too second kioku, the axe looks
like a bevel-filtered one.
I dig the clothes, i really love the detail
but i think some parts of the image are
a bit blurry and "undefined" especially
some of the wolves are blurry, even
if the close-ups show a nice structure
in their fur they have a pretty blurry
touch.

Otherwise, GREAT work!

aenema
04-07-2003, 01:08 AM
:eek: amazing! awesome work, again, like all your stuff! :thumbsup:

Iysun
04-07-2003, 01:11 AM
wow thats some nice art, love it! i love how it all looks so smooth kinda, nice style

urgaffel
04-07-2003, 01:13 AM
Since the negative things have been said already, I'll just say, wonderful job Lunatique. You've done an awesome job with the lighting on the girl...

Just love it.

Tad
04-07-2003, 01:34 AM
man I love how you did that fur!! :):thumbsup:

ja3d
04-07-2003, 01:49 AM
Beautifull work! I love it. :applause:

Isuck
04-07-2003, 02:09 AM
Holy....

Do you accept any students?

:cool:

goodlag
04-07-2003, 02:35 AM
Sweeet jesus :drool:

AndreKling
04-07-2003, 02:48 AM
Hey Lunatique, where u from in Sunnyvale? Do u study in DeAnza? Would be cool met u. Your work kick ass. REALLY NICE JOB. :beer:
Andre Kling David

unrealwarfare
04-07-2003, 03:07 AM
wow! omfg! unbelievable! superb work! i just love it! its a masterpiece!

CABRAMACHO
04-07-2003, 03:16 AM
very beatiful:eek: very GOOD:applause: :love:

BiTMAP
04-07-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by JuRrAsStOiL
As usual I really like your painting, BUT
i have too second kioku, the axe looks
like a bevel-filtered one.
I dig the clothes, i really love the detail
but i think some parts of the image are
a bit blurry and "undefined" especially
some of the wolves are blurry, even
if the close-ups show a nice structure
in their fur they have a pretty blurry
touch.

Otherwise, GREAT work!

I think if he put to much more detail in it would become confuseing and ur eyes wouldn't focus on her which is what is important.

Bane
04-07-2003, 03:26 AM
I love how smooth everything is. I just Want to reach out and touch the soft hair on the wolf.

(edit) Sorry, didnt scroll far enough down the first page.

kinston
04-07-2003, 03:58 AM
can u write something about how u do the smoothing and blending colour patches in painter or photoshop...thanks , really want to know...(eg...what few tools u use, and how u use the tools for smooth and blend out the rough colour patches...)
thanks alot.

ayh1029
04-07-2003, 04:01 AM
good stuff.

but the face a little

seems cartoon;s

Gilgamesh
04-07-2003, 04:31 AM
Beautiful once again Lunatique.

ceql
04-07-2003, 04:46 AM
Wowwe!! Nice, Luna! :applause: :applause:

erilaz
04-07-2003, 05:27 AM
Remeber Lunatique, you promised me a high-res desktop image! :)

I said it before and I'll say it again. Stunning. True art. If it was enabled yet, I'd give you 5 stars.

f_jo
04-07-2003, 05:32 AM
so damn amazing! how big is the uncompressed original file? post that one will ya :beer:

AnimaLMotheR
04-07-2003, 05:40 AM
Her skin is not perfect enough for my taste. ;):D:p

Very nice.

akela
04-07-2003, 05:48 AM
Amazing, Lunatique!
And a great background story for this beautiful character :cool:

What I found profoundly amazing were the nice girl, the wolf sitting at her side, and the howling one on top-left corner!! WOW!

What I can spot as details not very well acomplished (IMO) are the scythe blade (the scratches too exagerated -- the not so convincing edges --), the eyes of the wolf at the middle-right and other ambient details not well defined, as the tree (the patterned leaves), the hill (looks a little flat), etc. Just my two cents :p

But as an overall view, as I said, it's a great and very inspiring piece of art. Keep on rocking, man! :)
Will you keep developing the story about this girl and the WolfPack? Please, I would say I like very much wolf packs' tales ;)

DOOMNINJA
04-07-2003, 05:58 AM
Great work! Yay! Hurray! Way to go! Yay!

Sorry, but your amazeing skills get me all excited and hyper. Man that is some great stuff!

As far as C & C goes, im not to certain of this but, her left arm looks a tad too long in my estimation, and the legs don't appear to be the same lengths, but i think THATs just me. aside from that i really don't have any other crits.

That fabric is crazy detailed, i love the specular highlights!

Anyways, nice job

-Doom

P.S. Can't wait for the tut! ;)

luima
04-07-2003, 06:05 AM
this is a great piece of art!!! at first sight i tought the girl was made in 3d. great attention to detail also, welldone!!

mage111
04-07-2003, 06:24 AM
speechless

/me bows

Kirt
04-07-2003, 06:38 AM
Hot diggity! That's another fine one from you Rob! You're strengths in character painting are very evident. The girl and details on her costume or just fabulous!

However, I have to agree that elements of the background don't seem like you spent equal time on. The tree, leaves, grass and hill to the left look flat and rushed.

What really stands out to me (that I don't think has been mentioned yet) is that the blades of grass don't cast shadows or seem to be affected by light at all. They are the same shade from base to tip reguardless of where they are in the environment.

Also, the one tree seems like it's out of place with the rest of the image. Shouldn't there be more similar trees located nearby? Most natural environments will have reoccurances of the same types of vegitation in a particular area.

I like the image a lot, but as an artist I like to hear something more than fanboy comments from viewers. I figured that you'd appreciate it also. :D

dtrimble
04-07-2003, 07:18 AM
Please don't stone me for my comments, lol. I think the painting is wonderful, and the story a good start. BUT, first thing I saw was the style of the character, it is very close to the stylized Japanese 3d look. Nothing wrong with it, and It may be so it will translate to 3d well, or whatever else you planned. But you may want to expand on it a little more, and make it your own. Of course, on the other hand you have recieved quite a bit of praise, and it is warranted cause the style is currently commercial and likable. The wolves look very well done.

Next is opinion, but the name Lulu, which, hmmm, couldn't that be a nickname that no one knows rather than what her friends call her, I don't think I would be calling someone I was intimidated by Lulu. That would be something her parents would be the only ones really using. It seems like a gag or plot thing, not a character name, unless the story is about humor like Ranma I/2.

Just a though: I see she has perfect skin and clothes, and she supposidly grew up with wolves? My friends Rotwieler(sp?) pup was so cute, but it would jump on me and basicly chew on my arm and fists(not enough to hurt me, but enough to be annoying,) so some scars may be caused by the pups teething and play fighting. And maybe she could have some traits of the wolves, look at what they did with princess mononoke, and think how you could do it your way:)

jamihn
04-07-2003, 08:07 AM
:drool: just wow!

JVitale
04-07-2003, 08:14 AM
Beautiful!!...shades of Princess Mononoke in there, but beautiful none the less...

Izu
04-07-2003, 08:44 AM
SWEEEET...man i love the details...i like the face..think it´s looks damn good...

Vash T Stampede
04-07-2003, 08:55 AM
Hot dang! :eek:

ChristophZollinger
04-07-2003, 08:59 AM
Awesome!

A "Prost" :beer: from me on that.

The silk of the dress looks very realistic, had to look twice.

Nightwing
04-07-2003, 09:06 AM
Gorgeous :drool:

My new wallpaper, and it made my day too.....great work man. I'm also looking forward to some new shots/teasers from your short film :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thx1138
04-07-2003, 09:33 AM
Absolutely bucking friljant !!! :thumbsup:

Stuff like this makes my heart race. Damn I need to start working more in 2D :)

Abhinav3d
04-07-2003, 10:26 AM
Beautiful Painting...
I like her face...It looks so appealing...U look at her once and u fall in love with her..

Keep it up..
~adios
abhi

Phoe][iX
04-07-2003, 10:31 AM
~:cool: too big ??

Troub
04-07-2003, 11:42 AM
fantastic...outstanding...these skills.:applause:

Mcf
04-07-2003, 01:52 PM
FINALLY a "LUNATIQUE" again :cool: :buttrock:

dont know why but your style and skill made me a fan of your work. your detailness and storys are really good. :)

hope to see some "lunatique" soon again :thumbsup: and finish the short soon, cauze i'm dieing of curiousity to see finally some shots :D :drool:

cheers Mcf

Cronium
04-07-2003, 02:08 PM
I want to be there... Live there... Know the wolfs... And the girl :)
I´m floating above the ground...

Fantastic! :love:

(two critiques though... I don´t like the texture of the axe. The scratches are to big and to deep, and the edges are a bit fuzzy)

Is there any way we could get a copy of it in 1280*1024?

aurora
04-07-2003, 02:45 PM
This way and by far one of the best pieces 2D or even 3D I have seen here. I was totally shocked when I read this was just Painter and Photoshop. I looked and the wolves and thought for sure they were LW & Sas. Comments to other comments made. I don't think her left leg is bad at all, however her right leg around the knee looks like it is a little limp on muscle definition. The scythe, again the bevel. As for the hillside it just seems to be missing some of the wonderful magic that is everywhere else is this fantastic piece. Two thumbs up, five stars, a 9.9 score. :applause:

JohnD
04-07-2003, 03:47 PM
What else can I say but "Masterpiece.":bounce:

merlyns
04-07-2003, 03:56 PM
I think this is one of your best pieces yet.

its just breath taking.

-david

Max4ever
04-07-2003, 04:08 PM
Extraordinary work! Well done!:applause:

ZVAN
04-07-2003, 04:22 PM
very detailed... paiinting.. how long u take to do it.. wow wow! WOW!!!!11 abSoLuTeLy StuNNinG!:drool:

Azmodan Kijur
04-07-2003, 04:31 PM
Absolutely AWESOME!!!! :drool: :drool:

ZVAN
04-07-2003, 04:39 PM
very detailed... paiinting.. how long u take to do it.. wow wow! WOW!!!!11 abSoLuTeLy StuNNinG!:drool:

Spankenstein
04-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Uhhh, it's Lei Fang, dude.

And the backstory really doesnt jive with the picture. I mean, she doesnt bear any resemblance to some battle hardened streetfighter. The stock cassette deck out of an 84 Chevette has more tone.

(just in from AIM)>I GUESS LULU MAKES SURE SHE SHAVES HER LEGS TOO.

The thing is this. The "beautiful female warrior" schtick is tired. Ever see a female kickboxing champion? They are trolls. The story and picture don't even close to jive.

And here's the mistake you made, just like everyone else: You zoomed in. Thats why wacom paintings are always obvious. Your foliage and terrain are done in these broad strokes, then the scrollwork on her clothes is SUPER DETAILED. Yes, a painter can use smaller brushes, but they cant do what you have done, and it instantly kills the credibility of the work. As hard as it is, next time, try doing it all from the same zoom level, and just change your BRUSHES.

lmc
04-07-2003, 05:30 PM
Wow....really nice...while i fist saw i though is 3d...coollllll:applause:

BluesManJF
04-07-2003, 06:15 PM
i never saw something like that!
perfect... absolutely!

Anteru
04-07-2003, 06:17 PM
really excellent work, for me the face is a bit too smooth, but it doesn't matter much. AWESOME!

derelict
04-07-2003, 06:44 PM
A well deserved front page! Very nice and sweet!:beer:

Lunatique
04-07-2003, 06:58 PM
Thank for all the wonderful comments! The crits are really helpful, and I'll try to implement them--but right now my 19" monitor is getting fixed and I'm using a 15"! I waited until I finished this painting to get my monitor fixed(it started going bad in the middle of painting), so whatever mistakes and bad parts--blame it on my borken monitor!

Here's the step-by-step tutorial I promised(oooh, PUN):

http://www.enchanted.prohosting.com/goodies/tutorials/scythe_wolf-tutorial/scythe_wolf-tutorial.htm

Spirit2029-- Well, all the stories I write could potentially become a full-blown project. :) Just a matter of timing. ;)

phoenix2k-- See the tutorial.

fellah--Roughly 2 weeks total.

ki oku-- What's this bevel thing you guys are talking about? The blade? The staff?

stephen2002--I don't usually make full-res versions of my piece available publically. So, maybe email me and I'll reply back with an attachment?

KingMob-- GOD NO. No more breaks! Can't afford them! :eek:

Racer--Hm, she looks about a healthy C-cup to me. Are C-cups considered extremely top heavy? Her arms are probably a bit slender. It's kind of an asian preference thing I guess. I noticed how a lot people say that anime and Japanese game female characters are stick-thin. I didn't want to have extreme detail everywhere, since that would detract away from the main focus of the piece. By keeping the background simpler, the eyes focuses on the girl and the wolves. I do need to keep the painting more balanced in level of details. I have so much more to learn! Her eyes are definitely big--it's that damn anime influence. I agree with the engraving. I had considered it in the beginning, but dropped that idea along the way. I might work it back in.

Adam--I kinda didn't want too much detail there to compete with the main focus of the image--but if it's distractingly bare, I might have to do something about it.

DizkoStu--yep, I should make the wolves mangier.

lildragon--Thanks man! I'll do some tweaking when I get my monitor back.

Turbonium--read above

Xaint--I agree. I ran out of ideas to make it pop out more. Maybe I'll be inspired later on and make some changes.

HapZungLam--Hmm, I'd love to turn her into 3D.

JuRrAsStOiL--no bevel filter, or any kind of filter. But I guess it looks bad enough to be mistaken for it! Ya, the blurry thing seems to be a kick I'm on. I need to cut it out.

Isuck--Haha, I'm still learning myself!

AndreKling--I grew up in the Bay Area--in the Foster City area, and then in the City.

BiTMAP--Ahhh, one man got what I was going for. But only one guy got it, so that means I failed. :annoyed:

kinston--Tutorial posted.

ayh1029--Yes. I'm actually not a fan of photorealism. I can't help the way I paint, but I hate it. I wish I could paint even more cartoony!

erilaz--email me.

f_jo--It's 2550 x 3300

akela--Yep, I agree with all the crits. I'll try to do some tweaking later. Hmm, more stories on her eh? Maybe I'll write more.

DOOMNINJA--It's weird, like my wife's arm is short compared to the girl, but I've met some girls who's arms are longer than her's. I tired to make her just about right. Her legs seems same length to me. :shrug:

Kirt-- OMIGOD dude, I forgot to cast grass shadows! And you know what? I SUCK at painting trees. I need to look at some references and repaint it.

dtrimble--I grew up with Japanese anime/manga, and American/European comics, so I guess my stuff is a bit of a blend of east meets west. I don't really try to mimic any style. I just kinda do my thing and they just come out that way. Lulu IS her nickname. Only her friends know that name and call her by that. Everyone else calls her Lian-Lang(Scythe Wolf), and her followers calls her Mother-wolf. As for scarred skin--unless one of her wolves seriously wounded her face, there wouldn't be any perminent scars. And as the Alpha Wolf, they wouldn't dare to bite her on the face--expecially fully grown(as pups they can get away with it).

JVitale-- Actually you know what's funny? I watched Mononoke when it first released years ago, but I didn't really like it. Now, I can barely remember what is was about! The inspiration for Scythe Wolf is three parts:

1)There's a Chinese brand of men's clothing called Septwolves--with 7 wolves as the mascot. I LOVE wolves, and one of their ads inspired me.

2)Since I love wolves so much, I sometime fantacize about living among a wolf-pack as a member.

3)One of my paintings in Progress titled "Ordinary Heros," There's a redhead girl weilding a scythe in there, and everyone loved her. I took the scythe idea and combined with the above 2 inspirations, and Scythe Wolf was born.

Phoe][iX--I tried to make sure it isn't too big. She's about 5'3-ish, and the scythe is 7 feet long. So, it's higher than her by 1 foot and 9 inches. That aint so bad. ;)

Cronium--email me for a high-res.

aurora--I thought about making her muscular, but I was looking at Chinese acrobat girls, and they don't seem muscular at all! :eek:

ZVAN--Read above.

Spankenstein--I guess you don't read classic Chinese literature? It's a cultural thing. I grew up with legends of beautiful female martial arts warriors--and it's part of the Chinese legends. Ya, I need to try to paint everything in broad strokes. I have a bad habit of painting too tight, and I hate it.

derelict--Hey dear deer dere. :D

BluesManJF
04-07-2003, 07:03 PM
hi Lunatique
thanks for the tutorial!
how many years you paint/draw ?
your drawings have feeling.. i dont know how to explain... its incredible..

podoba
04-07-2003, 07:18 PM
oh my god. Amazing work

Is-boset
04-07-2003, 07:42 PM
great tutorial, at last i can learn how to paint nice graphics. :thumbsup:

Flog
04-07-2003, 08:27 PM
If a picture is worth a 1000 words you just drew an epic. Great, great wonderful picture. Sheer perfection!!! Very awesome work!!

Made me want to cry!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

santiago
04-09-2003, 09:25 AM
really beautiful

smileyPotato
04-11-2003, 01:32 AM
seeing this picture broken up in closeups is really deceiving. agreed the cloth and girl are very well done. the wolves are a good step below her, they are just shy of perfection. and the foliage, sub par.

basically, its a mess of the blur and smudge tool. your depth of field changes so much it hurts to look at. the softness of the wolf fur is exquisite, but you need some more individual hairs coming up from them, to rough out the texture a bit. thie is mostly needed in the wolf to the left of the girl. It's an in-focus face with a blanket of blur. Just compared the clarity of the cloth to the wolf's fur right next to it. That relationship doesn't exist in photorealism.

As for the background, the dried muddy hill to the left ruins the artwork for me. It flattens out with its lack of color change, and the texture is just boring. The rest of the foliage is too random it hurts the image, you've got 2 sticks and a small leaf patch in focus. Everything else is a doubled-image that takes away from the realism of the wolves and girl.

This is all constructive critism. As an artist I expect you will take this as I would. There's no need to go back into this work, just throw it all down as experience to continue building your talent. Good show.

-chris

Norlan
04-11-2003, 04:19 AM
I swear that Lunatique is my most favorite artist ever!

The closeup shots are looking nice indeed, but the scene in the back seems a bit blurry. I'm trying to learn how to master photoshop and painter. Anyone has tips for a newbie like me?

ninja noodle
04-11-2003, 08:02 AM
wow!! you have so much talent!.... love the dreamy feel to the picture! amazing!!!!! :applause:

Mystifyurmind
04-12-2003, 10:42 PM
absolutely wonderful.

good usage of photoshop and painter.
you use them well.

3drookie
04-19-2003, 12:22 AM
I love this piece, and would like to see you continue the thought.:twisted:

Lunatique
04-19-2003, 10:19 AM
BluesManJF-- Thank you. :) I've been drawing all my life, but got serious about it around age 13. I switched to digital completely back in late 2001. I really don't spend half as much time drawing/painting as most people though. Throughout the years, I spent a lot of time doing music, writing, photography..etc instead of art.

smileyPotato-- Believe it or not, I never try to shoot for photorealism. In fact, I don't even like photorealism--that means there are many things about the way I paint that I dislike. I'm after a far more stylized look, and I guess my paintings are typically failed experiments with stylization--and that's why there are inconsistency issues with the focus, realism/surrealism..etc all over the place. If I could get away even more exaggerated elements, I would go for it. :D

Norlan-- Best advice is to just do it. Photoshop/Painter/blah blah blah are all just tools--and the basics of art are all the same. So, don't worry about "mastering" a program. Just master art. :)

3drookie-- And how do I continue it? Is your mind in the gutter? :eek:

Everyone else-- Thanks for the nice comments. :love:

Hopsix
04-19-2003, 01:08 PM
i'm really amazed :insane: ...

anilec333
04-19-2003, 03:45 PM
great work!when i see this pic , thought it is chinese did it. the girl looks like very sexy. and the legs are also sexy. i love it much. i am just a cg beginer i hope that i can do some great works for this forum.

MeshedP
04-19-2003, 03:51 PM
NICE NICE NICE!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ryguy
04-19-2003, 03:57 PM
Amazing work! I enjoyed the story you have to go along with this masterpiece. I don't know why this hasn't been plugged yet (or maybe it already was)

~Ry

Jake McD
04-19-2003, 03:59 PM
amazing work, simply amazing.

John Lee
04-19-2003, 07:16 PM
WOW!! truely amazing work here!!

hyett
04-19-2003, 07:27 PM
very sweet

drifter51
04-20-2003, 12:24 AM
excellent work.

I think the hill could use a bit more texture and the blade is a little too simple. It looks more like slate than metal.

Other than that, great job!

amith
04-25-2003, 05:46 PM
very good . I like it very much.

Lunatique , where r u ? I am Chinese, in GuangZhou .

a2ps
04-25-2003, 05:59 PM
love your work. and love the rendering style! do you have any website with more works from you? :)

GlennSueznin
05-30-2003, 06:10 PM
:wavey:

Thats an awsome picture. I need to learn how to paint on the computer like that. The brush detail for those wolfs are awsome. Please keep up the good work

Lunatique
05-31-2003, 05:43 AM
Oh no, I didn't think this old thread would pop up again! That's why I started another one for the repaint. Oh well, just so people don't get confused, the pictures have been updated--so all the old crits might seem confusing.

ryguy--it was plugged a while ago.

amith--I'm in Fuzhou.

a2ps--Look closer. . ..

Everyone else--Thank you!

cswno
06-05-2003, 03:46 PM
i have not seen many so moving pics

and i really like the chinese-liking girl more

dave_baer
06-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Very nice work, very detailed. I dont know if this has been said before as I didnt read through all of the replies but the wolves, IMHO, appear blurry. I dunno... just something about them throws my eyes off a bit when I look at the whole image. Other than that, I love the detail in it. Awesome!

:beer:

Intonater
06-16-2003, 11:46 AM
WoooW.....!!!
I "fu le" you !!!
Great,wonderful&Top rink paint!:applause: :thumbsup: :beer:

Fahrija
10-22-2004, 12:56 PM
Awesome

I accompany with all the others > the clothes are painted brilliant

Meilinia
11-18-2004, 08:50 AM
Its so beautiful! The scenery is very "sound of musicish" which is nice ^^ and I love her outfit! And the sleeping wolf on the left is so cute! :love:

AmazeMe
12-14-2004, 11:30 AM
This must have taken a long time to complete. The detail is incredable, top notch work. Beautifully composed.

ZombieFrog
12-18-2004, 04:09 AM
one word, wow

ingoStudio
01-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Awesome! All your work is awesome!

Geronimo
01-16-2005, 07:56 PM
scene, colours, atmosphere, lights, details.....fantastic job

jmBoekestein
01-25-2005, 07:23 PM
I love backstories man!

I coming back soon and am going to read the entire thing, love the way you brought out those wolves. Photographic realism comes to mind personnally.:thumbsup:

minminxu
06-11-2005, 09:54 PM
~~~~~oh!my God~~~~so beautifulllllll~~~~~!!!~~outcry~:scream: :scream:

CGTalk Moderation
06-11-2005, 09:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.