PDA

View Full Version : Texture Blending

d0c
09-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if you guys can share with my some techniques of how to blend two textures together. For example I have a wall texture and I want to blend some Dirty and Grime from another wall texture onto that one So that its not so clean.

Can someone tell me how I can go about doing this and having it look good.

Thank you.

suztv
09-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Without seeing the images that you are starting from I can't give you specifics - but there are several ways to accomplish this.

The first wall you will want to keep as your back ground layer. The second wall (assuming it is mostly grey or white) you need to duplicate, turn off the first layer and then run a desaturation on the duplication. So now you have the main wall as your background and the duplicate of your grunge wall as the visible layers - set the mode for the grunge wall as overlay, or multiply or hardlight - you may need to create several copies of the wall and use different modes to get it right. Now if you want your grunge to look dirty or more like a brownish dirt - use a style on the grunge layer with a color fill and set the mode to that to either overlay, softlight, or hardlight or even color - whichever works best. I would also use a layer mask and mask out the portions that are too grungy with a soft brush. I hope this makes sense. If not just PM me and I can get more specific.

d0c
09-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Hey Suztv,

Your instructions were clear enough for me. I got everything to work and I am happy with the results.

When I need to create a bump map for this texture I can just desaturate it and tweak a bit and use that as my bump map?

Thank you again

Without seeing the images that you are starting from I can't give you specifics - but there are several ways to accomplish this.

The first wall you will want to keep as your back ground layer. The second wall (assuming it is mostly grey or white) you need to duplicate, turn off the first layer and then run a desaturation on the duplication. So now you have the main wall as your background and the duplicate of your grunge wall as the visible layers - set the mode for the grunge wall as overlay, or multiply or hardlight - you may need to create several copies of the wall and use different modes to get it right. Now if you want your grunge to look dirty or more like a brownish dirt - use a style on the grunge layer with a color fill and set the mode to that to either overlay, softlight, or hardlight or even color - whichever works best. I would also use a layer mask and mask out the portions that are too grungy with a soft brush. I hope this makes sense. If not just PM me and I can get more specific.

CGTalk Moderation
09-25-2007, 11:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.