PDA

View Full Version : A lot to learn

digitalkarma
09-25-2007, 01:14 AM
Hi all

I am a former production artist turned teacher who finally figured out that i really wanted to be an illustrator. trying to teach self. this piece is being done in photoshop with a mouse.

all help, thought and comments will be greatly appreciated

Shiki
09-25-2007, 02:23 AM
I use a mouse also.:) You have a good sense of lighting so far, more of the details still need fleshing out to really appear more real. You can do it though. And I also appreciate your doing what you want, instead of folloing what could be an unhappy career. I'm similar in that I never followed through to get a position in my major of animation. It's a hard field and quite unstable. So I also am an illustrator, self taught too.

If you're using a phot you should have a good idea on light/shadow and the details that you'll need to paint in. Good luck.;)

AndreaGS
09-25-2007, 02:31 AM
I think it's a great concept! I think right now things look a little fuzzy and out of focus. Try to sharpen the edges up a bit.

That's all I have for now. I look forward to seeing its progression!

kami1314
09-25-2007, 10:13 AM
if you are going to follow the path of a illustrator,invest in a tablet doesnt have to be an expensive one.for now you could do with a graphire.but the pic is hot,to be made with a mouse:applause:

digitalkarma
09-25-2007, 10:47 AM
thanks for the support everyone. it certainly is intimidating being amongst so many illustrators with god like abilities.

Question: Is it cheating to draw in a sketchbook and then paint over the scanned image? I have been milling around CGTalk awhile and it seems like everyone just starts right on the computer.

also, any suggestions for a name on this piece? I was thinking "Turf War"

nerdyninja
09-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Turf War sounds good. I really like what you are doing its coming along nicely. It is def. not cheating if you sketch it and then scan and paint it in the computer. i do it all the time!! :D

My only crit is also the blurriness. You have to try to not blend EVERYTHING that way you have some sharp edges here and there and remember shadows go from hard edge closest to the light and then fade out! Hope that helps! Good luck!

Shiki
09-25-2007, 09:38 PM
I agree with sketching and painting over the scanned sketch, it isn't cheating at all. So mant artists do it, and it is a widely used technique. To draw on the pc from scratch is only possible when one has a tablet, but it's very difficult if you're not used to it. Don't worry, we all have to start somewhere.:)

Turf War sounds good enough to me.;)

CaveatScoti
09-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Question: Is it cheating to draw in a sketchbook and then paint over the scanned image? I have been milling around CGTalk awhile and it seems like everyone just starts right on the computer.

IMO, if it's your image, then however you got to the finished product, whatever tools you may use is referred to as 'process'. There is no such thing as cheating. The only mortal sin among illustrators is plagiarism.

I do agree with pencildj though- drawing with a mouse is like drawing with a brick. Unless you work exclusively with 3D or vector art, a tablet is the best investment you can make. Get one.

CooKiez
09-25-2007, 10:57 PM
This looks great as a mouse drawing, I was tring to draw on my own with mouse but one thing that came out was a banana ;)

CGTalk Moderation
09-25-2007, 10:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.