PDA

View Full Version : free db&w Tools available now

lightwolf
09-23-2007, 04:02 PM
db&w Tools V1.0 for Lightwave are available for download now - supported platforms: Windows 32/64bit, OSX CFM and UB

This is the first version of a free set of LightWave tools from db&w.

Currently it only includes one node, but will be expaned in the future with more (or less) useful plugins.

The plugin is available in our downloads (http://db-w.com) section (no registration required).

We hope you enjoy the (currently very humble) collection.

Cheers,
Mike

biliousfrog
10-12-2007, 10:12 AM
can you explain a little about what this blender mode does & how it would be useful?

lightwolf
10-12-2007, 10:15 AM
can you explain a little about what this blender mode does & how it would be useful?
I hope you don't mind me pointing to another thread on Spinquad:
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19924

Basically the idea is to be able to mix and match shaders and materials (or parts of materials).

Cheers,
Mike

biliousfrog
10-12-2007, 12:42 PM
thanks, I think I get it now :thumbsup:

It's one of those things that has held back my node dabbling....time to start playing.....

lightwolf
10-12-2007, 12:46 PM
thanks, I think I get it now :thumbsup:

It's one of those things that has held back my node dabbling....time to start playing.....
You're welcome... and enjoy the playtime :D

Cheers,
Mike

biliousfrog
11-02-2007, 11:20 AM
I've finally got something that I wanted to use this node with & have a few things that I wanted to mention.

I wanted to blend a dielectric material with something more solid.

The first issue was blending them together. I eventually worked it out, I was looking for a simpler solution although I can understand why it might be set up in such a way. I used a weight map to blend between the materials. I expected a single "blend" input rather than plugging into the opacity of each materials property...it's not a major issue but it might be something worth considering as changing the blend input node means re-connecting 5 inputs rather than 1. Keep the option of seperate opacity inputs but maybe add an overide.

The second issue is the speed of it. Rendering a 400,000 poly sub-patched figure with a dielectric material, ray-traced transparency, reflections, refractions & final gather at 640x480 took 3mins. Adding a standard material with no reflections or transparency & blending between the two increased the render time to nearly an hour. For blending completely between two materials it would actually be quicker to render them both seperately, render an alpha to blend between them & composite together afterwards.

Perhaps I'm missing the point of this node? I'll continue to experiment & see if I can improve the speed a little.

[EDIT] The speed issue is because of something stupid that I've done, I added reflection blur to the surface which is the cause of the render increase. The render time seems to be just a little more than rendering both materials seperately which is what I'd expected.

lightwolf
11-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Perhaps I'm missing the point of this node? I'll continue to experiment & see if I can improve the speed a little.

The speed issue is something the node is not reponsible for... the user is ;)
But be aware that all materials hooked up will be rendered/evaluated.

The initial idea was to be able to separately control the different aspects of a materal. An override would also (imho) not fit into the nodal concept. You can just add up all your opacitices to a "Add Scalar" no for example and hook everything up to that.

Cheers,
Mike

CGTalk Moderation
11-02-2007, 11:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.