PDA

View Full Version : 1:1 render shows 1:0.995

lvl3bomb
09-22-2007, 10:10 PM
I dont understand this.
I'm using Maya 8.5 and just recently I purchased version 2008.
It doesnt matter if I use a PC or a iMac... LCD or CRT screens... using a complex or simple scene. Using Mental ray, shadow maps or raytrace... HUGE anti-aliasing setting... or a small one.... tesselation is high or low... doesnt matter...

When I render something and watch it in the render viewer, it seems the zoom is set to 1:1, but it actually shows 1:0.995 or so.
I get jagged lines!!!
When I save the same render out to a .psd file and watch it in photoshop... it looks as smooth as flowing milk.
I simply dont understand this.

Now I did make sure all settings are production level ... AA is set high etc etc...
I tried clicking on 1:1 many times... zoom in or out then click again..
I tried it all.

If I manage to see the .psd file all smooth and clean, there shouldnt be ANY reason for it to appear jagged and aliased in the render view.

Here is an example:

Render Viewer:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1189/1418110871_31a1081295_o.jpg

.psd File:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1424/1418994626_1289c28c53_o.jpg

I added white background in photoshop to show how smooth and anti-aliased the pic is.

so, if anyone knows what causes this and if there is a solution... I'm allll ears! : )

Thanks!

reptil
09-23-2007, 02:15 PM
yes i have the same bug in 2008 and with fcheck too don't know why with 8.5 it's not present

dan1el
09-23-2007, 05:23 PM
same problem, it has been addressed many time before no solution

MasterZap
09-23-2007, 07:13 PM
This sounds eerily familiar.
I have this memory of a thread some year ago on the exact subject
What I recall, the issue was fixed by a video card driver update.
But this is all from *very* foggy memory.

/Z

royterr
09-23-2007, 07:13 PM
it'a a flagrant render view bug.

don't worry if you batch render this wont show.

reptil
09-23-2007, 07:42 PM
scale vertically the render view thix it but u need to do this everytime you open maya

jupiterjazz
09-24-2007, 07:37 AM

/Z

This problem exists since years.
I just stopped using the renderview which has zillions of other limitations.

p

Sharky0815
09-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Let me guess, ATI. Try zooming out and then back to 1:1 without using the button.

jbradley
09-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Let me guess, ATI. Try zooming out and then back to 1:1 without using the button.

Nah, it's not board specific. It's a software bug I believe. I'm running Quadro FX boards - the bug is visible on both my mac and PC stations. I've also run on ATI boards, visible there as well.

I think I've submitted this bug before, but nothing ever came of it. It's been there since the 6x updates I believe.

jupiterjazz
09-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Nah, it's not board specific. It's a software bug I believe. I'm running Quadro FX boards - the bug is visible on both my mac and PC stations. I've also run on ATI boards, visible there as well.

I think I've submitted this bug before, but nothing ever came of it. It's been there since the 6x updates I believe.

Exactly.
I think now it can be promoted as a 'feature'.

atdesign
09-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Exactly.
I think now it can be promoted as a 'feature'.
Hahahahah, that's funny. I have had that "feature" for as long as I remember, Maya 3.5 or 4.5 I think. I always thought it was a Mac thing, I guess PCs were not left off that feature list.

BTW, Paolo, it's good to see you on the boards. Your write ups about MR have helped me a great deal in understanding it. Thank you for your hard work.

Sharky0815
09-24-2007, 04:12 PM

That sucks, I only encountered this on ATI boards... did the "zoom a small amount and then back" trick do anything? Itīs really hard to work with such a jagged viewport...

royterr
09-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Paolo,
me too, really appreciate your contribution to the forums.

bringing MR impefections to the foreground is the only way to make it better if Autodesk decides one day to read those hundred of pages, where users have taken the time to bring some feedback to Autodesk's design.

and i completly agree with you about the complete absence of a usability and an ergonomic phase in the design process of MR4Maya.

cheers

Olegr
09-24-2007, 09:15 PM
This is not an MR issue, so no reason to troll here, royterr.

royterr
09-24-2007, 09:48 PM
This is not an MR issue, so no reason to troll here, royterr.

no one is trolling here.
i wasen't refering to this thread in particular.
i am refering to the latest overall contribution of paolo in various threads witch i find very adequate and useful.

reptil
09-27-2007, 04:24 PM

/Z

changing my card driver solve it :scream:
thank a lot MasterZap !

brianod
09-28-2007, 03:29 PM
We have this bug on all our systems, were running Maya 7.0 and an ATI Radeon 1600 and every renderview at 1:1 looks jaggy. We've gotten into the habit of moving the middle mouse scroll wheel 1 click to zoom into about 1:1.08 and most of the jaggies smooth up, but not all. Of course, when we save the file and look at it in any other software package we don't see the jaggies. This apparently is a long standing bug in Maya that they should address because every time I am demonstrating the program to others, someone mentions this.

I'm a long time ex-3D Studio user, back even to 1.0 DOS version and the preview renders have always been beautiful and smooth. The preview renders in Cinema 4D are so good that the downloadable demo product can actually be used to do commercial work using a high res screen and a screen cap program.

This seems like something the marketing people at Autodesk should drive to make them fix it because it makes Maya look like a second class product to potential buyers.

Companies rarely listen to techies but marketing always has their ear.

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2007, 03:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.