PDA

View Full Version : Shake 2.51 Has GUI problems in vista.

rferl
09-22-2007, 07:08 AM
Any Idea is welcome.

scrimski
09-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Just fix them.

Some more information apart from 'doesn't work' or 'has problems' would be usefull.

beaker
09-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Turn off antialiasing and anisotrophic shading for the video card. Without knowing the video card, make sure it is set for an application like Maya in the settings.

Tibbar
09-23-2007, 02:29 AM
How did you get it to even run in Vista? What application compatiblity settings (if any) did you use? I've only had success in XP.

thehive
09-25-2007, 05:49 PM
why run vista at all

Tibbar
09-28-2007, 05:39 PM
thehive: "why run vista at all"

Gee, that's helpful. Well, some people like DirectX 10 games. I generally don't have a problem with Vista and application compatibility.

Anyway, I figured it out. The GUI problems have nothing to do with Vista; rather it's an OpenGL/GDI rendering problem. In some other forum, they posted a fix:

Add a System Environment Variable
Name: NR_OPENGL_RENDER
Value: 1

This forces OpenGL to be used all the time.

osxrules
09-28-2007, 11:12 PM
Anyway, I figured it out. The GUI problems have nothing to do with Vista; rather it's an OpenGL/GDI rendering problem. In some other forum, they posted a fix:

Add a System Environment Variable
Name: NR_OPENGL_RENDER
Value: 1

This forces OpenGL to be used all the time.

Does anyone know how to do this in OS X? After 10.4.9, the interface messes up on GMA chips and it's always had a scrolling problem and I was hoping this would fix it. I tried adding a shell variable and all sorts of things to the startup scripts and it makes no difference but I don't know if it's being added or not.

Can this option be set using a startup script?

The manual says you can add variables to the tcsh file (~/.cshrc) but the default shell in OS X is now bash. I also read somewhere that you need to launch shake from a terminal for it to take effect but still nothing.

beaker
09-29-2007, 01:47 AM
It has to do with a buggy gma950 driver introduced in 10.4.8. Search around here on cgtalk, there was a solution for grabbing the old driver from 10.4.7 update to fix it.

osxrules
09-29-2007, 02:43 AM
It has to do with a buggy gma950 driver introduced in 10.4.8. Search around here on cgtalk, there was a solution for grabbing the old driver from 10.4.7 update to fix it.

Yeah I know, I posted it. ;)

I was hoping the NR_OPENGL_RENDER flag would help since Apple don't seem to be giving a rats ass about fixing their drivers (unless 10.4.11 brings anything exciting - it better because it's probably going to be the last update).

I don't think it would sort that issue though, I was actually hoping it might help 10.4.8 and earlier which still have an issue with scrolling - it jitters like mad. I can't see any options in the manual about forcing a certain display mode. Is there a way to force the interface to be drawn in purely software mode, I presume setting NR_OPENGL_RENDER to 0 means that it uses both software and hardware when necessary?

beaker
09-29-2007, 05:40 AM
intel is a really crappy video card that barely does opengl well, so I don't know what you were expecting(it's not even a supported config on the Shake web page). Also does Apple know about the GMA950 bug? Did you actually report it or did you expect them to read these boards and figure it out for themselves?

osxrules
09-29-2007, 10:52 AM
intel is a really crappy video card that barely does opengl well, so I don't know what you were expecting(it's not even a supported config on the Shake web page).

We've covered this before. The Shake page says:

"AGP, PCI Express or Intel graphics processor with at least 32MB of video memory and OpenGL hardware acceleration"

Other software with OpenGL interfaces runs ok on the GMA chip - Blender for example and it has a full 3D window in there too. The GMA hardware accelerated OpenGL isn't that bad and for the most part, it is faster than the older dedicated GPUs in the PPC machines, which run Shake just fine.

I don't just use Shake on a Mini, I use workstations too but sometimes I don't have access to a workstation and the processors in the Mini are fine for simpler composites - they're actually pretty fast little machines. Naturally I'd replace all the Minis with mid-range headless machines if Apple sold any.

Also does Apple know about the GMA950 bug? Did you actually report it or did you expect them to read these boards and figure it out for themselves?

Yeah, I actually reported it. About a month ago. I went through a whole set of replies and gave them all the info they needed. But the bug is still open and no more info has been posted since.

rferl
10-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Oh thanks, My problem is solved. but I have a new problem. when I create a Checker or Color or ... the refresh speed is too low. Why?

beaker
10-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Refresh speed is too low? What do you mean?

rferl
10-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Sorry, I mean update speed. (The creation of checker speed).

Gentle Fury
10-12-2007, 07:23 PM
my question for you is......why Vista in the first place?????

If you really wanna stick with Shake (i'm now hooked on Nuke...sorry) Linux is the ONLY way to go!

CGTalk Moderation
10-12-2007, 07:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.