PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Vs Softimage with Ambient Occlusion?

Omita
09-20-2007, 09:58 PM
I was curious if anyone had any experience comparing Turtle's Ambient Occlusion Renders with XSI's Ambient Occlusion Renders? I have been comapring baking with two. Thus far Turtle seems to render much faster but there is a subtle difference between too. I've been using XSI for AmbOcc maps because of the quality of the render... but Turtle would be great because everything else I do is in Maya.

Thanks in advance.

techmage
09-21-2007, 10:27 PM
isnt the XSI renderer mental ray?

DecWest
09-24-2007, 09:38 PM
TURTLE is ultra quick (well relatively speaking) and I think gives really good results especially for Real Time work.

XSI is Mental Ray - the Ultimapper is a great tool but I find it can chug somewhat, especially when you ramp up samples.

It really depends what you (or your project) requires. If you are working in MAYA then TURTLE offers speed and lots of extra baking capabilities ( Spherical Harmonics/Radiosity etc) and if you spend some time working with the Primary and Secondary GI solutions you can get lots of detailed and accurate information for relatively low render times.

XSI is great but do you really need to whole new package in yout pipeline to bake out maps?

If you guys have multiple packages check out BEAST by the same guys who make TURTLE, its a standalone baking solution. Never tried it so know nothing about it :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2007, 09:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.