PDA

View Full Version : MoGraph - radiating rings

ChrisCousins
09-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Hi - hope this is a simple problem. I have a cloner blending between two disk objects, creating a series of concentric rings. I'm trying to get these to animate between the two styles below to create a 'radiating' effect, this is then going to deformed and viewed from an oblique angle to give a pulsing landscape look.

http://homepage.mac.com/chrissyboy/.Pictures/dump/mograph_rings.jpg

Trouble is that keyframing the disk's radii causes the Mograph object to break, the blend doesn't work any more. I've thrashed around with step effectors for a while but they can't access the disk's parameters so only scale around the disk's centre, which means the whole object shrinks/grows rather than the individual rings.

Odd, 'cos this looks like Mograph's bread & butter, but I can't make it work... hope someone can help!

Cheers - Chris

marshalartist
09-20-2007, 12:14 PM
This is much easier to do with expresso I have done it before I will see if I can dig it out.
It just shows the lack of ergonomics in Mograph which should have an easy solution for this sort of thing.

ChrisCousins
09-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Hey marshalartist - thanks for your post, although I couldn't get the xpresso sorted it jogged me into remembering I've still got a copy of 9.6 with Jenna installed - ah, the beautiful, deceptive simplicity ;) Anyway, it was a piece of cake with Tweener and now I've even got spline bias interpolation to make some nice ripples. Hoorah for my old G5!

Cheers - Chris

This is much easier to do with expresso I have done it before I will see if I can dig it out.
It just shows the lack of ergonomics in Mograph which should have an easy solution for this sort of thing.

basilisk
09-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Create a short two-point spline segment along the x axis, use the cloner to duplicate along the x axis, use spline connector plugin* to treat these segments as a single spline, then place in a lathe nurbs to create concentric rings, then use the shader effector with falloff to get a pulse to scale your original line segments.

*can this step be skipped in v10? (I have v9.6)

ChrisCousins
09-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Hey basilisk, that's nifty and is working fine, helps me out big time - thanks for the detailed explanation. I do need the spline connector plug in R10, by the way.

Jenna is nice but the R9 timeline is not...

Cheers - Chris

basilisk
09-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Hey basilisk, that's nifty and is working fine, helps me out big time - thanks for the detailed explanation. I do need the spline connector plug in R10, by the way.
Cheers - Chris

Need to get v10, but I thought there was some update to the cloners that allowed the clones to be treated as a single object. Anyway spline connector is neat and free so who can complain about that!

Per-Anders
09-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Hi Chris, can you post your scenefile for me to look at?

ChrisCousins
09-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Sure, this is the old version made with disc objects, not the spline/lathe method (which is working very nicely thanks again!).

This is just a demo of the problem, not the scene in its entirety. Press play and you'll see the error - I've had this confirmed by MaxonUK so they are aware of the problem.

Cheers - Chris

Hi Chris, can you post your scenefile for me to look at?

CGTalk Moderation
09-20-2007, 06:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.