PDA

View Full Version : Layers

Pr
04-05-2003, 06:00 AM
PS7

What the heck is with these layers...?!? I draw a line, and I can't erase it sometimes, because its in a different layer. I change layers with the panel on the bottom right, but still, i cant erase it. I cant "select and delete" or anything.

What's going on. Why do layers even come to exist? Can I disable that function?

And how come I can only undo once?

Pr
04-05-2003, 06:10 AM
bump

VShane
04-05-2003, 06:11 AM
Sounds like you just opened it up and started working without getting to know your program :surprised

One thing that is throwing you off probably is the selection in the top bar check box for "auto select layer" which appears when you have the pointer selected from the tool box. So whatever you touch will immediatley activate that layer. If you don'e know about it, it can be quite frustrating. Also you don't ahve to work with layers. Just don't create any (and very soon you'll like layers). Just create new or pull in a pic and don't drag elements into the pice which autmnatically creates a new layer. In which case if your still confounded by layers use "CTRL- E" to merge the layer below it or go to your menu bar and "Flatten Image".

WK

Pr
04-05-2003, 06:20 AM
ok thanx, I control E'd it, and it's all one "background" layer. Now, the eraser isn't workign!!!!! argh, this program is frustrating.

I know its super complex and all, and I'm willing to learn it. This is the first time I've ever worked with it (I'm trying to make a simple sig and it's being so difficult).

Pr
04-05-2003, 06:21 AM
If I put a few polygons on the image, how can i select them again after deselection?

Pr
04-05-2003, 06:45 AM
man, this program is ticking me off, because:

1) I don't know how to select objects I made after I deselect them
2) I can only undo once (and the contrl+alt+z screws up too)
3) I have no clue how to rotate a single object or whatever (i.e. polygon)
4) It keeps making new layers, even after I deselected that box...
5) I don't get what half the tools do in comparison to each other (especially the dotted line ones, the arrowy ones, and such)
6) I have no clue what I'm doing when I "rasterize"
7) The "help" function in the program is pathetic
8) I've spent an hour and still can't make this thing work (I could have made it look almost as good but completed it in Paint in 5 minutes)...

Somebody help!!!

VShane
04-05-2003, 10:51 PM
I have no clue what I'm doing :thumbsup:

BINGO! you figured that part out :scream:

Just kidding around, you really need to check out the search engine for Photoshop tuts. I thikn this board seems to mainly involve those who have at least read the tools manual and have an inkling of what they are trying to do.

And yelling and complaining doesn't help things, jsut chill and experiment, and do searches.

WK

Prs-Phil
04-06-2003, 01:09 AM
I think this guy is just taking the mickey (very nice way of saying it) out of us.

If your not then do what Wacom_Knight said ... CHILL, man CHILL get your brain fixed to the problem use the NET to get tuts and then ask explicit questions not how to use a whole prog to creat the new cg monalisa.

It all comes with time and practice

Good luck :thumbsup:

bumskee
04-06-2003, 11:20 PM
:beer:
reminds me of me about two years ago,
back then PS really put me off, because i only worked on illustrator. Now I really (heavily) rely on PS, I agree with PRS-Phill,
it's best if you go and see some tuts maybe??, you can't learn PS in 24 hours, prolly not even in few months to grasp all of it and prolly take even longer to appreciate it.

as to your problems,

1) I don't know how to select objects I made after I deselect them
- it's not really about selecting an object in PS, but selecting the layer it's in, so get friendly with layers! everything will come clear once you get the layers, objects and selections and so on..

2) I can only undo once (and the contrl+alt+z screws up too)
- yeap once, but there is "history" pallete near "layer" pallete, go there and move along the steps to undo.

3) I have no clue how to rotate a single object or whatever (i.e. polygon)
- there are several ways you can rotate an object, but after you get why the layers exist will help, for the time being press ctr+t and a box will apear surrounding the objects in the layer when the cursor turns into rotating kinda look hold and turn. (I am so crap at explaining things.)

4) It keeps making new layers, even after I deselected that box...
- well it's because you are using the vector shapes in PS, so everytime you make an object using the vector tools such as circle or square, it is created in a new layer, again, it's more about understading tools in PS. ( it's too long to explain...)

5) I don't get what half the tools do in comparison to each other (especially the dotted line ones, the arrowy ones, and such)
- well if only it was that easy.

6) I have no clue what I'm doing when I "rasterize"
- when u rasterize you are turning the "things" u made with vector tools into bitmap stuff, (PS is a bitmap app right??)

7) The "help" function in the program is pathetic
- I dun know I never looked at it..

8) I've spent an hour and still can't make this thing work (I could have made it look almost as good but completed it in Paint in 5 minutes)...
- Paint I used once, doesn't it still have layers and so on???

Anyways I hope that helps a bit, some links to PS tuts??
www.spoono.com
http://robouk.mchost.com/tuts

good luck!

Stroker
04-06-2003, 11:56 PM
2) You can change this behavior in Preferences.
Edit > Preferences > General > Redo Key
If you change this to ctrl + shift + z or ctrl + y, then ctrl + z becomes regular multiple Undo - not toggle Undo/Redo.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.