PDA

View Full Version : In the moonlight of the night..., Char Reed (2D)

CharReed
09-19-2007, 08:39 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/189063/189063_1190234336_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/189063/189063_1190234336_large.jpg)

Title: In the moonlight of the night...
Name: Char Reed
Software:

Or... something like that. I would have been smart to write down a few of the titles I was thinking of while I was working on this piece. Probably one of the more in depth pieces I've managed to do in quite a long while. This took about a week and a half to complete. I didn't really want to show any work in progress because even though I really appreciate crits and critique, I wanted to really gauge my own level. I wanted to note where my skills lie in their own right and see where I stand. How do you know what to improve if you never know where you stand? I wanted a solid, completed piece for people to critique me on, because sometimes a WIP, the line seems to blur between what is the idea you want to convey and what idea others want you to convey- even though a good critic will concentrate on the facts of the piece, not necessarily the subject matter.

Well- here is my werecat, loosely based on my character as well as my character in Oblivion. That game really inspired this piece to come to life. I first worked in Open Canvas and soon got frustrated with the lack of sheer power of the program. I believe I wanted to move the sketch over and couldn't figure out how to do so without rotating the whole canvas - which I found a useless capability. I dragged it over to Photoshop and turned it into quite the project. Originally just a line drawing, the linework I created in OC was not satisfactory. So I turned it into a lineless piece and I like it much better for it.

Seeing a smaller version makes me realise that the character is a bit bright and I could possibly push color contrast and just regular contrast more in the piece. The light from the front of the character is a bit bright. The piece does not overall have a lot of dark contrast. I guess I got a bit intimidated when all the darker colors I was choosing were near the lower left (black) corner, making me hesitant to choose it. I guess the lights are too light and the darks are a bit too dark. Aw well. Live and learn. I did learn a lot from this piece. Hope you enjoy.

olipaf
09-20-2007, 10:58 AM
i think this piece is a good start to the little improvements needed to perfect its impact....i agree with you on the idea of submitting a finished image ( finished to one's own opinion at least) before getting any feedback, as the process is still inclined to much trial and error and experiemnt, that said, i find it much harder to change and improve an image when i considered it finished and receive crits and feedback on its overall quality...but i consider the approach the best way to learn from your mistakes and improve overall...by redoing and enriching the work done so far...(never being satisfied, i tend to redo some drawing and paintings i've done days/years ago to apply the new knowledge i got and give the painting the finished touch and effect i had in mind the first time and that my poor technique prevented from happening...and on and on...).
personnaly, i find it easier to change the mistake or errors of judgement as soosn as i can spot them, rather than leaving a piece "un-attended" knowing it could be much better...reason being for all those comments that i like your illustration in its form, idea and execution...and would like to see the improvements you mentionned yourself or lessons you learned while doing it still apply to it ....and not leave us with a piece you consider not great or unfinished...
flat out, my comments regarding that painting would be that, as you mentionned, the contrast could be pushed a bit more in terms of lighting...maybe more highlight from the torch behind her on her back (as it's a strong and close light source) and a more shadow on the body between the light from the tourch and light from the moon would bring a better transition of mood(lighting moods) onto the character (as you have happening with her bra). may be a cast shadow would help to ground the character a bit more with the surroundings....and probably avoid the marking on her neck from being aligned with the ones from her face as it flatened the face area...
hope those comments will be welcomed as i enjoy this piece and look for more.
olivier.

CharReed
09-20-2007, 12:44 PM
i think this piece is a good start to the little improvements needed to perfect its impact....i agree with you on the idea of submitting a finished image ( finished to one's own opinion at least) before getting any feedback, as the process is still inclined to much trial and error and experiemnt, that said, i find it much harder to change and improve an image when i considered it finished and receive crits and feedback on its overall quality...but i consider the approach the best way to learn from your mistakes and improve overall...by redoing and enriching the work done so far...(never being satisfied, i tend to redo some drawing and paintings i've done days/years ago to apply the new knowledge i got and give the painting the finished touch and effect i had in mind the first time and that my poor technique prevented from happening...and on and on...).
personnaly, i find it easier to change the mistake or errors of judgement as soosn as i can spot them, rather than leaving a piece "un-attended" knowing it could be much better...reason being for all those comments that i like your illustration in its form, idea and execution...and would like to see the improvements you mentionned yourself or lessons you learned while doing it still apply to it ....and not leave us with a piece you consider not great or unfinished...
flat out, my comments regarding that painting would be that, as you mentionned, the contrast could be pushed a bit more in terms of lighting...maybe more highlight from the torch behind her on her back (as it's a strong and close light source) and a more shadow on the body between the light from the tourch and light from the moon would bring a better transition of mood(lighting moods) onto the character (as you have happening with her bra). may be a cast shadow would help to ground the character a bit more with the surroundings....and probably avoid the marking on her neck from being aligned with the ones from her face as it flatened the face area...
hope those comments will be welcomed as i enjoy this piece and look for more.
olivier.

Thanks, I really appreciate the crit. I'll be reworking the character (possibly redrawing from scratch) and you can check out my progress over at Conceptart.org in the WIP (http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59) section. Then I'll upload the final again here, hopefully improved from the critique of my peers. I'll keep what you said in mind while I'm working on it :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-20-2007, 12:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.