PDA

View Full Version : Important specs for Rendering CPU?

stylEmon
09-19-2007, 09:01 PM
What is the most important specs for slave machine on a render farm?
I am under the impression that the most important thing is Processor speed.
How importaant is RAM?
Unless I am mistaken, graphics card is the least important.

Thanks

RhettAllen
09-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Graphics cards are important for hardware rendering and realtime interactivty... so no, for a render farm you could use integrated graphics if you want.

Yes, processing speed is very important. This determines how fast the renderer will calculate the math involved... which is alot.

RAM is also very important. This determines how much data can be stored temporarily for the renderer to utilize it when needed. I.E. textures (the biggest use of RAM) and... I think a few other things but i'm not sure about the rest... like cached simulations and what not possibly.

If you run out of RAM space for your textures... well it either goes really slow or crashes.

reformidatio
09-22-2007, 08:50 PM
A 2GB Ram is enough for a render farm... right?

RhettAllen
09-22-2007, 11:09 PM
Depends on the project... The more the better. I would personally allow for expansion slots so that you can upgrade as needed. 2GB seems to be a good starting point, though I'm not a big expert on it. I would talk to a company that owns one to see how they do it.

CGTalk Moderation
09-22-2007, 11:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.