PDA

View Full Version : mental ray, sss and displacement

sheb
09-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Hello there!

Sorry for the total beginner question but i just switched to maya from max.
I know how to use displacements and sss but not how to do it together...
In max theres the fast sss + displacement shader and a mr material where you can plug in all components (among them displace) and thats it. I searched quiet a bit on the forums but I couldnt find the way how to do it in maya, but it should be so easy.

Thanks alot for some hints!

seb

reptil
09-19-2007, 10:29 AM
hi
you need before loading mental ray go to window-> setting/pref->plug manager and then load and autoload mtor.mll or mayatomr.mll

so go to hypershade : window-> rendering editor ->hypershade
1) on the left create maya node you have displacement search in the list
2)click on the create maya node to switch with create mental node in the list you have miss fast skin for sss

once you have this two node you should connect displacement node to missfastskin shading group !

sorry for my bad english !

sheb
09-19-2007, 11:46 AM
hello!
Thanks for the info! But when i connect the displacement to the shadinggroup i get a MR fatal error
!! :( Im posting the shader network, maybe you can see an error?

thanks in advance,

seb

reptil
09-19-2007, 01:03 PM
do u have more info about the fatal error ?
the connection seem good
hey and you have to uncheck feature displacement in the shape of your object it's for maya displacement !
then you have to do : window-> rendering editor -> mentalray->approx editor create and attrib subdivision to your object and choice your tesselation method spatial is a good start

sheb
09-20-2007, 04:07 AM
heyhey!

i just redid everything and now its working hurray :). not exactly sure why but it does.
thanks for your tips! By the way, I was wondering if theres a good way of scaling the displacement instead of manually changing the two values alpha gain and alpha offset by hand?

seb

reptil
09-20-2007, 09:44 AM
ok good if it's working now :)
it's seems there are no other way for scaling displacement only alpha gain and offset if i m right
see u

krolichka
12-05-2007, 08:40 PM
sure, use multidisplacement exporter 3 in zbrush, then your scale is baked into the disp map, then just use 2.2 and -1.1 in the alpha gain and offset

krolichka

CGTalk Moderation
12-05-2007, 08:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.