PDA

View Full Version : Inking tips

eric3dee
04-04-2003, 08:12 PM
I am about to start work on an anime-type short. I would like to do all the drawing/inking on my computer- to avoid scanning and retouching issues. Does anyone have any great digital tips/techniques for producing great, smooth line-art directly within the computer (as opposed to traditional inking and scanning?) Any help or advice would be of great help. Thanks.

VShane
04-05-2003, 05:52 AM
YEah, absolutley. Use Painter 6 or 7, hands down all the art on my site is from painter. I do like 60+ ink illos per month for publication in the RPG field.

If you have a Graphire or Intuos tablet Painter Classic at least should have came with it.

WK

eric3dee
04-07-2003, 12:23 AM
wow! I'm impressed (I must've been too shut off in my Adobe world to have seen this before.) Is it just me, or does Painter handle Wacom tablet movement in a much smoother interpolation than Photoshop. Can this be emulated in Photoshop- for the strokes to be read so smooth? Very impressed. Its like finding a new toy in my old toybox.

VShane
04-07-2003, 04:12 AM
The brush engine in painter is just phenominal, here is a link to another gallery I have my inks displayed in (again all Painter).

B/W gallery PEn Paper.net (http://www.pen-paper.net/modules.php?set_albumName=VShane&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=2)

I have tried paintng in P7, though it feels a little slow.

WK

eric3dee
04-07-2003, 02:23 PM
Great work! What Painter brush do you normally use when inking (particularly your b/w line arts)?

VShane
04-07-2003, 11:32 PM
oops wrote twice

VShane
04-07-2003, 11:36 PM
Fine point and another special "deposition" fine point that I developed with the Painter Brush controls. the Depostion Fine Point, trails behind about .5 secs where i lay the line, while its slowing chasing where my nib goes it super smoothly anti-aliases itself. That particularily useful for cartooning and creating very smooth line work designs for like armor or fabric.

On the left is regular, on the right is the deposition pen.

WK <p>http://www.vshane.com/Remote_Art/Ink_difference.GIF

qwatkins
04-08-2003, 12:20 AM
You can turn off the "spacing" on any of the brushes in Photoshop to give you a "no skip" action. Just click the brush and one of the settings is spacing.

eric3dee
04-08-2003, 02:35 PM
cool thing about the "spacing." I know there is a bit more to the brush controls in PS7 than meets the eye. But is there anyway I can get it to do like Wacom Knight's smoothing brush. That is very cool, but unfortunately it doesn't seem that it can be done in Painter Classic (am I right?) Even so, it seems that several of the preset brushes have the trailing turned on-- which is why it seems that my strokes have a much smoother interpolation than in PS7.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.