PDA

View Full Version : 2D3D crossing the line

_a_
04-09-2002, 09:50 PM
Hi there all. I've been doing 3D and 2D art for a while now, and have been experimenting lately with some new techniques. This is actually a 2D image, no 3D modelling involved, just photoshop and illustrator. Comments?.

DigitalSkorpyon
04-12-2002, 12:04 AM
I have no idea what I'm looking at.... but I like it!

-Grant

_a_
04-12-2002, 12:10 AM
To tell you the truth, i dont know what it is either. It just sort of *happened* (as everything does).

Sangotten
04-12-2002, 07:02 PM
Don't tell me you painted it all? No use of layers and copy/paste??? It's a great image, not spectaculair, It do well as a flyer or cd cover!

_a_
04-13-2002, 06:46 PM
What would you suggest to make it *spectaculair*? Its not meant to be photorealistic 3D, just something abstract from the back of my brain. tips? i'm looking for help here people! :wip:

Alice
04-13-2002, 09:28 PM
hey everyone can see that it is a painted ananas with christmaslights in it!
:p

Realy, i like it, just as it is.
have you fooled around with it and tweaked the coulours or did you settle for theese?
If you did do you have the other versions to show?

_a_
04-13-2002, 09:58 PM
Painted ananus with christmas lights hey...hmm never thought of it like that. This was the origional colour. I tried with some others, but it sort of lost its impact (if it ever had any) cheers for the comments (I think :))

staglider2
04-14-2002, 05:48 PM
How did you do that ? Making some vector forms painted afterwards in photoshop ? or....please tell and share with us

_a_
04-14-2002, 07:11 PM
Well, hmm....(sound of grinding gears and unused cicuit boards flairing into life). It started out as a vector shape in Illustrator (exactly what shape is anyones guess. The file has long since been lost in the ether :shrug: ), then turned into what u see below. Then, as is always the case with my art, I was stumped. I always seem to do an initial concept, then get a total blank for the rest of the image. Does that happen to you? Maybe its because I dont do character art, just abstract and "landscape" stuff...where was I??? Oh yeah, stumped again :thumbsdow so i tried the old copy-paste-copy-reverse-paste-undo-copy-warp-transform-reverse-colour-undo-undo-undo-scream in frustration-paste-perspective-tweak-scream-paste-spend three weeks on minute detail that wont even show in the final print-flip vertical and abandon it-trick. Works every time!!! I think it loses some of its "impact" being so small (duh), its actuall A1 size and looks (imo) amazing. I'm looking into getting it printed onto canvas, buts it's prohibitively expensive. I think thats about it, although i cant actually remember what the question was. Thanks for the interest, its nice having people enquire about your art. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sabaman
04-14-2002, 10:12 PM
what ever it is, it looks cool,...

staglider2
04-14-2002, 11:32 PM
So you basically experiment all the time until you get something.
Yeah it happens to me quite often, only i don't do abstract images that much, it happens mostly on the figurative/realism side...Sometimes its lovely to work like this, and time goes by like a lightning bolt, sometimes i hate it so much to work in the void. Oh yeah, i know what it is to spend 3 weeks on minute details that don't even show up in the final version....*frustrating*

david

_a_
04-14-2002, 11:51 PM
The void...yeah i guess you would call it that. Sometimes I just can't visualise the image first though. Like, I know what it is, and I know that its inside me, but it just wont show up on my brain-TV. So I twiddle away for a while, and BAM, out it comes. Thing is, this is the complete opposite to how I was taught, twice!
I just dont work the other way, nothing that i value has ever come out of planning and visualising. And I wouldnt really call it spontaneous inspiration, cause like I said, I know it's in me, i just have to let it out. I do a lot of meditation though, i think a lot of ideas come from there. Do you ever get the feeling, once your piece is finished, that its always been inside of you? it's a strange sensation.
Anyway, that was all a bit esoteric wasnt it? Ah well, works for me...

aaron

illustr8rX
04-15-2002, 06:51 AM
Hey, I really like that piece! very nice work. I've always wanted to be able to do things like that but it never works...I tend to do characters, but not bio-mechanics or repeating objects like that. Even tho' i'm crazy about 'em....Let's see more! -don

Valkyrien
04-15-2002, 10:50 AM
Dude!! That's SWEEEEEET!!! :eek:

_a_
04-15-2002, 10:09 PM
Here's a flyer i did for a trance night. Biomechanics rock. It was made from the same vector shapes as the other pics (but wouldnt have a clue how it ended up looking like it does).

_a_
04-15-2002, 10:10 PM
s'pose i should put the image in there too...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.