PDA

View Full Version : ADAPT 2007 :: who is going?

PaulHellard
09-17-2007, 01:38 AM
Hey there,

Who is going to be there at ADAPT this year? The spread of speakers, parties and general buzz seems quite a step up from last year. I'm landing in at the end of this week. Hope to meet up with lots of CGTalkers.

JeanCharlesGingras
09-17-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm getting there monday afternoon and heading straight to the keynote by phil tippet that night

the lineup looks really good for the week...and this is my first ever CG event that I'll be attending..really looking forward to the conferences and also to meeting some of you people from the forums

i'm spending this week getting my portfolio updated as well as updating my reel!

EricDLegare
09-17-2007, 04:43 PM
I'll be there too :arteest:

JohnSpin
09-17-2007, 06:02 PM
I'm still waiting for confirmation. I hope i go!!

UnmadeHistory
09-18-2007, 09:18 PM
I don't exactly know anyone from CGTalk and I am just starting to study in this "domain" but I'll be there. Being a student and resident of Montreal, my teachers suggested I invest some money into //Adapt!

See you all there, sounds exciting.

Tmapper
09-19-2007, 02:56 PM
How does it differ from Siggraph? What happens there, and who is it for? What does it focus on? What is it's mission?
Thanks for you help in advance

JohnSpin
09-19-2007, 02:59 PM
info here...
www.adaptmontreal.com (http://www.adaptmontreal.com)

Bartek|3D
09-19-2007, 03:15 PM
I'll be there. :)

Tmapper
09-19-2007, 04:23 PM
So it is just like Siggraph. I can't afford 2 of these things a year, particularly this close together. how would I be able to feed my African Dwarf Water frog.

Stream13
09-19-2007, 04:58 PM
I guess I've been out of the loop a bit. I didn't know this was going on till I saw your post. It looks pretty good and being in Canada makes it easier for me to convince work I need to go :)

Can you let me know what you guy thought of the conference and if you'd recommend it over Siggraph (i.e. for quality of lectures/job fair/general content). The last Siggraph I was able to attend was in 2001. Or if they have different qualities that would make them both worth while. I was aiming to have a new portfolio for Siggraph next year (and now for ADAPT)

Can't wait to hear info from all of you who are attending!

Cheers,

Brooke

emilioG
09-20-2007, 04:52 AM
What's up everyone.

We're gearing up for a great week.

About:
//Adapt is classes about the art of film and videogames, talks, and extra activities like the Theater, Art Expo and this year's Halo 3 Canadian Launch party... since everyone in the industry loves the parties.

Take the best guys in the world, and watch them teach you how they do it. Add on Phil Tippett as a Keynote. In a sense, it's the only Conference of its kind :D

See you all there! It's gonna be SICK! :thumbsup:

Emilio Ghorayeb
CEO | //ADAPT Conference

MikeDee
09-20-2007, 05:00 AM
I am definitely there!

PS: Does anyone know why Iain McCaig has disappeared from the schedule? It`s just TBA there ...

SimonTG
09-20-2007, 05:51 AM
Im just getting started in 3d but I will definetly be there. Living and studying in Montreal it would be dumb not to go, really looking foward to it, the list of speakers presenting is pretty impressive. Hope to learn a lot from this experience.

emilioG
09-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Unfortunately, Iain had to opt out because of his production schedule.
He is really sorry, and we decided together to bring David Krentz, one of his partners @ Ninth Ray.

David is thrilled to come up, and his credits are also impressive.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1297343/

Emilio Ghorayeb
CEO | //ADAPT Conference

MikeDee
09-21-2007, 04:04 PM
Sounds good!

Thanks for info, Emilio

TNTDigitalWorks
09-22-2007, 09:55 AM
I want SO much to go. But I cannot make it this time. :( Hope those who will go share as much as possible the information and interesting things right here! Thanks ALL!

Cathy

Obumbrata
09-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Wish I could go, but it is so EXPENSIVE!!

JohnSpin
09-26-2007, 12:28 AM
Wow seriously, this is a great conference so far. The speakers and presentations are top-notch. There is some truely inspiring stuff.

Thumbs up to the people who put this together!! I'm glad there's another 3 days left!!!

Bartek|3D
09-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Wow seriously, this is a great conference so far. The speakers and presentations are top-notch. There is some truely inspiring stuff.

Thumbs up to the people who put this together!! I'm glad there's another 3 days left!!!

Yeah the Shawn Kelly Transformers animation shot breakdown presentation was crazy, especially for animators. And the Michael Fong Pixar thing was also mind blowing.

Bluefley
09-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Anybody knows if you need an adap pass to go to the halo party? My team only got 2 passes so I didnt get to go ): Pisses me off so bad at least I'd like to attend the party!

Any info on this asap would be very appreciated! its tomorrow!

cheers and hope you guys enjoy it!

-marc

UnmadeHistory
09-26-2007, 10:19 PM
So far Shawn and Charles transformers presentation on Tuesday and tonight Todd's have been my highlights so far, really nice presentations by ILM.

Bartek|3D
09-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Anybody knows if you need an adap pass to go to the halo party? My team only got 2 passes so I didnt get to go ): Pisses me off so bad at least I'd like to attend the party!

Any info on this asap would be very appreciated! its tomorrow!

cheers and hope you guys enjoy it!

-marc

The Halo3 party at Club Opera open to the public! :)

JonZ
09-27-2007, 01:36 AM
The Halo3 party at Club Opera open to the public! :)

Any entrance fees? I know a couple of guys who would be interested. I got my 2D pass already but still wonder.

SimonTG
09-27-2007, 01:57 AM
Any entrance fees? I know a couple of guys who would be interested. I got my 2D pass already but still wonder.

There is no entrance fees as far as I know exepct maybe the club's cover charge. Either way even if there is a cover, it would be pretty cheap.

Yeah the Shawn Kelly Transformers animation shot breakdown presentation was crazy, especially for animators. And the Michael Fong Pixar thing was also mind blowing.

I agree :) both those presentations were amazing, especialy the transformers one in my opinion, those shots breakdown had such a big "wow factor". I really enjoyed it.

DMNY
09-27-2007, 02:19 AM
I've also heard very positive feedback from guys who had the chance to attend. I wished I'd gone as well but with a tight schedule and budget, I hope to get a 2nd chance sooner than later.

Guillaume-Le-Tual
09-27-2007, 08:19 AM
It's a blast so far!! Great presentations & great networking opportunities.

The main difference compared to last year, this time it's during the week, while it was on the week-end last year.

I consider myself lucky that I can go every days for the whole 5 days; a lot of people / friends / past co-workers cant miss 4-5 days of work to attend this year.

Some of the speakers, especially those that planned making a live demonstration, would definitively need more time! After their speaking presentation, they barely have any time left and few speakers have time to get their sketches even close to a finished speed painting or quick concept art.

To go more in depth in the presentation & technique workflow, a 1h45 presentation is too short for live demonstrations, and its actually what you could learn the most from while attending this conference.

They would need twice that time per "master" 2D or 3D presentation when there is a live performance, and have an intermission time. Otherwise they are often just scratching the surface of the subject & technique workflow.

Guillaume Le Tual
www.letual.ca (http://www.letual.ca)

JonZ
09-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Yeah agree. One thing I didn't like is the poor sound insonorisation. While listening to the speeker there was that huge music happening in the other rooms and breaking my concentration of what the speaker talk about (beign not english talker is making it more difficult).

The show definitly rock however. Best 4 days I ever had for a while, hope they will stick the event to Montreal in next years.

SimonTG
09-28-2007, 07:59 AM
Yeah agree. One thing I didn't like is the poor sound insonorisation. While listening to the speeker there was that huge music happening in the other rooms and breaking my concentration of what the speaker talk about (beign not english talker is making it more difficult).

The show definitly rock however. Best 4 days I ever had for a while, hope they will stick the event to Montreal in next years.

That is so true, the insonorisation was terrible, since the rooms are next to each others it got really bad sometimes, especialy when speakers were presenting videos with music in the room next to the one your in, sometimes the speakers had to literaly yell to get understood and it was quite distracting.

I am guessing it is indeed gonna be in montreal next year as well, since it was last year and that it was a huge success both years (many say its even better this year) I just dont see why it wouldnt be here again.

Oh also, cant wait for the blizzard presentation tomorow morning, its gonna be great :)

Sil 369
09-29-2007, 01:12 AM
The presentations were great... funny and inspiring. I hope it becomes a 2 week event next year and they give away more prizes. :D

JeanCharlesGingras
09-29-2007, 02:54 AM
just want to thank all the organizers who made this great event possible....i was there all week and it was a great experience...i got an exploration pass this year but will definately get the full pass next year

the parties were fun...the speakers had lots of good insight and i was blown away by the special feature presentations...greet job guys

(if only you guys gave away more copies of halo 3 ;) )

Bartek|3D
09-29-2007, 01:31 PM
What a week. Now I'm exhausted, but I learned so much and it was awesome! :)

Grejotte
09-29-2007, 11:18 PM
It really was awesome! This was my first time to an event like that and I loved that. I'll be there next year for sure! I almost caught a prize but my friend next to me just caught the t-shirt before me... hehe
Does someone knows what happened about the ubisoft contest where we had to give them our cards?

JeanCharlesGingras
09-30-2007, 01:15 AM
they were supposed to do the drawing at 6 yesterday.....but they will call the person that won...they haven't called me yet....i really wanted a nintendo wii..haha

Incarnadine
10-01-2007, 12:24 AM
It was quite a blast. Tons of great stuff to see and cool people.

SquirrelEmperor
10-05-2007, 03:32 AM
Are their going to be any transcripts or videos available of what the speakers talked about? I'm really interested in knowing what the concepts artists had to say.

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2007, 03:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.