PDA

View Full Version : Props.. need crits

blastzone
09-15-2007, 10:42 PM
hey guys. just some low poly props stuff. the old crates deal. tell me what you think. there will be more comming this weekend. just tell me what you think of this lot for now.

arrangemonk
09-15-2007, 10:57 PM
maybe you forgot to post the links, or something
i cant see any pictures

blastzone
09-16-2007, 12:02 AM
haha, thats really strange. i had a feeling it might happen though. thanks for pointing it out so fast. ok lets try this one again shall we (the server came up with an error when i tryed posting.)

blastzone
09-16-2007, 12:40 PM
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/nistrum/lowpolyscene.jpg

ok, i got some hosting space. so no need to faff about with logging in, just look at the pretty for now until i can sort out some more stuff.

arrangemonk
09-16-2007, 02:09 PM
hmm, nothing special, but it looks good

maybe you could try out somekind of normalmapping on the AK
and i would recomend using imageshack for your images, works fine for me

post more of your work, i think it cant harm anyone :P^^

blastzone
09-17-2007, 11:39 AM
any better suggestions? id really like something good to present my texturing on a simple model.. or even any ideas on making this better. might try the normals on the AK :) thanks

CADster
09-20-2007, 03:25 PM
any better suggestions? id really like something good to present my texturing on a simple model.. or even any ideas on making this better. might try the normals on the AK :) thanks

i would put the light behind the camera.. then we would be seeing the light side of these simple boxes instead of the shadow side ;)

utchamp
09-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Like has been said already..... everything seems a little flat. So try either putting a normal, bumb, specular, or all of them on the ak's to make them stand out a little more.

nice start !

blastzone
09-24-2007, 12:30 PM
ok boys and girls. sorry for taking so long. heres a little more stuff to comment on. did a little more work on the AK. and started work on some modular backgrops. gimmie your best shots :)
http://usera.imagecave.com/blastzone/lowpolyshot2.jpg

blastzone
09-25-2007, 11:05 AM
personally something about the lighting is really annoying me. its not exaclt the point of this. its just to put some of my low poly stuff on show. but still.. any hints?

Flewda
09-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Hmmmm, using your diffuse map and turning it into a noraml map is not a good idea. It's okay for you to do that for a subtle "noise/blemish" detail on the noraml map, but you should at least paint out the grout/tiles, or whatever it is to get the normal map detail (if you are going to paint it anyway). Honestly, the whole scene looks like you put a sharpen filter or two on it.

blastzone
09-25-2007, 02:28 PM
lol. the floor was only put in there to have something for the low poly stuff to sit on. this was never a post about the scene. its about the props. i literally just downloaded an image of some tiles. and that was just so i could put in a floor of some sort.

Ghostscape
09-25-2007, 06:18 PM
The cardboard is way too orange and dark, and doesn't have any sort of detail or specular map like corrugated cardboard has. The wooden boxes could really do with something to pop the depth, or possibly actually model in the inner parts because right now it's very obviously a 6 sided box.

blastzone
09-25-2007, 06:20 PM
thats more like it. thanks ghost. ill get onto that now :)

blastzone
09-25-2007, 10:32 PM
what you guys think to the updated AK? im quite pleased with it.

http://usera.imagecave.com/blastzone/ooohyeh.jpg

Ghostscape
09-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Post wires and a tri-count for it. It looks fine but then again so does pretty much every AK 47 ever made - there is so much reference available for them, photos, meshes, textures, whatnot, it's pretty much impossible to **** up if you've got the basics of modeling/texturing down. I'm willing to be there is some waste in the mesh, though, because there almost always is with guns :)

Flewda
09-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Post wires and a tri-count for it. It looks fine but then again so does pretty much every AK 47 ever made - there is so much reference available for them, photos, meshes, textures, whatnot, it's pretty much impossible to **** up if you've got the basics of modeling/texturing down. I'm willing to be there is some waste in the mesh, though, because there almost always is with guns :)

Some pretty bold comments man.

Ghostscape
09-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Some pretty bold comments man.

Fortune favors the bold.

Seriously, though, the AK-47 has been done so many times, in so many different resolutions/levels of detail, that you can easily find a half-dozen models of one if you spend any time looking, nevermind the abundance of photo ref. Furthermore, it's got simple materials that have a million tutorials out there for them.

Unless you were talking about the waste in weapon models comment, but again, have you seen the average counter-strike weapon mod?

In other news I just realized who you are and realize I have your old job :D

PolyPilot
09-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Check out this link:

http://st.burst.cc/tutorials.htm

There are some nice tutorials, a bit oldschoolish but they will help you to improve your textures.

blastzone
09-26-2007, 03:49 PM
will do. at work atm so cant. id be glad for you to rip it up though. i wouldent be shocked if i had thrown away a few spare polys. im working on my low poly stuff. and yeh i know the AK gets done alot. thats why i did it. wanted to make sure i could get alot of refs for it. i dont have the free cash to go out buying books of referances :P and the libararry is miles away :P

::edit:: also, i was talking more aboutt he textures specifically :) thaught id mention that too. i painted them from scratch, bar the wod which i had a simple picture from some furniture website :p. ill post some more renders later.

Thanks again guys. i appreciate the time you have taken to look at it :)

blastzone
09-26-2007, 07:46 PM
ok wires.

i couldent be bothered to set up a true wireframe in maya. its like pulling teeth, so i just put the overlay on in PS and rendered it out :P

the poly count is 1479 tris.

http://usera.imagecave.com/blastzone/akwires2.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/blastzone/akwires.jpg

Tiberius
09-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Well, the wood on the Ak-47 looks very rich and saturated with the grain very pronounced. Nearly all AK-47's I've seen have a much lighter shade of wood with less obvious grain (not to mention a high spec, thanks to varnish/shellac/whatever they put on it). Also, the metal would be very nearly black/very dark gray. Right now it kind of reminds me of pavement (like in a parking lot) in tone. And again, don't forget the spec. As for poly count, that's okay, I guess, though it's hard to say with these wires. You might have too many sides to the barrel. If you go down the normal mapping route, though, these props need to be thought of as current gen material for PCs, Xbox 360, and PS3 and you should lavish detail on them, squeeze out the normal maps, and then go back to the low poly models rather than trying to patch and bandaid your way to something with what you have right now. As it stands, you could pass these off as PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Wii models and maybe PSP, too (though you would really drop that AK-47 poly count by like 2/3 for that).

I REALLY suggest you look here. (http://www.rms3d.com/home.html)

blastzone
09-26-2007, 09:27 PM
holy mother of wow. that puts my stuff to shame thats for sure. id love to normal map the gun. but they never seem to come out quite right,. does anyone know of anywhere i can find a really good tutorial or troubleshooter for normal mapping in maya 8 -8.5?

PS. im making those changes to the colour map now. thanks :D

blastzone
09-26-2007, 10:21 PM
ok. this better or worse?

http://usera.imagecave.com/blastzone/changes2.jpg

Tiberius
09-27-2007, 12:08 AM
Definitely getting there. Just look at the progression from where you started to now. The material looks quite a bit better. However, if you don't plan to do a normal map, you're going to have to work on the highlights by hand to make sure the forms read well enough. Right now, there are places where it just all becomes plain black. You should try playing with the levels (assuming you are using Photoshop) and see what you get. The wood still needs the grain toned down, though. There are plenty of shots on the net illustrating what I mean, but essentially you are going to be hard pressed to find an ak-47 with such obvious contrast between the wood and the grain (or with such an obvious pattern).

vid on normal maps for Maya (http://tutorials.moddb.com/93/normal-mapping-video/) (I haven't seen it myself). You can also try highend3d.com (http://www.highend3d.com)

Ghostscape
09-27-2007, 04:53 AM
The wires look good except for the barrel in the front - all of those cylinders are way too rounded compared to the rest of the model.

The new wood looks better but the metal is way too dark. If you desaturate your first metal I think you'll get something that looks better, but right now it's too blue, and the new one is too dark.

blastzone
09-27-2007, 09:29 AM
thanks guys :) the wood i can fix. ill sort that this afternoon. and ill try swapping out a barrel and then normal mapping it out. ill just mod the low poly to get out a normal map. if i drop the cylenders ill re map them. i made a bit of a faux pas i UV mapped them and left the seam in the wrong place and never fixed it, so this will present a good oppertunity to un do a mistake i should have changed before now.

ok. prepare for normal mapping:P i should have that done =either tonight or tomorrow so stay tuned.

thanks again for the help guys

Ghostscape
09-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Normal mapping the barrel isn't going to do anything - regular cylinders smooth nicely as it is. the only reason to use more sides for a cylinder is to get a rounded cross section, and normal mapping can't fix that.

Don't normal map this model - trying to retrofit a normal map onto a model like this isn't going to be very effective. Right now, with some color tweaks to the materials and shaving some polys from the barrel cylinders, you'll have a fine low poly AK-47 suitable for a previous gen console or an MMO.

blastzone
09-28-2007, 10:55 AM
will do. ill finnish it off and post the finnished AK on here. you guys have any reccomendations on what would be a good thing to move onto?

blastzone
11-09-2007, 04:33 PM
ok.. were back again. moving on again. anyones thaught on the things in here now.. i tryed normal mapping that crate but it dfoesnt sem to make ANY diff.. spot the new bits :P

http://usera.imagecave.com/blastzone/nowwhat.jpg

Gaboon
11-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Are these props for a portfolio or for learning technique?

blastzone
11-09-2007, 06:16 PM
i would LIKE to be able top put them into a portfolio. but i feel they are a little shakey :S if you think you can help please do :)

::edit:: also. the reason it looks basic is because it is. i could make them slightly higher poly. i was just trying to push myself i suppose for demo stuff i should really push the envelope :/

Gaboon
11-09-2007, 06:51 PM
If this is for your portfolio, to be blunt, don't continue on them. Like Ghostscape said these props are way overdone. Crates, AK-47s. You want to grab their attention with something original that is well done because THAT is what you are competing against. You can use all the same techniques you are learning but apply them to something they haven't seen. Take the time to check out the pros or soon to be pros sites. You need to show the prospective employer that you are a rare find and not just another noob in this sea of overcrowded mediocrity that is the 3D art applicant pool.

Gaboon
11-09-2007, 07:06 PM
If this is for your portfolio, to be blunt, don't continue on them. Like Ghostscape said these props are way overdone. Crates, AK-47s. You want to grab their attention with something original that is well done because THAT is what you are competing against. You can use all the same techniques you are learning but apply them to something they haven't seen. Take the time to check out the pros or soon to be pros sites. You need to show the prospective employer that you are a rare find and not just another noob in this sea of overcrowded mediocrity that is the 3D art applicant pool.

blastzone
11-09-2007, 11:26 PM
hahah. blunt is not a thing i have a problem with. iv worked in 3D.. nothing major but im used to people saying thats not good enough :P ill keep going on this. get some new stuff together and post it here. honestly. if anyone has any more advice feel free to share it no matter how harsh it might sound ill probably appreciate it :P.. thinks for your comment :) keep an eye on the thread.. it will help to have someone arround to help point me in the right direction :)

oooh yeah and dowes anyone know of any good reels/portfolios to give me some ideas? im looking but it would help if any had some specific ones..

blastzone
11-11-2007, 02:02 PM
ok. see what you think of this. had an idea for a sort of sci fi medkit.. needs a fair ammount of work yet though

http://usera.imagecave.com/blastzone/medkit.jpg

colour idea?
http://usera.imagecave.com/blastzone/medkitcol.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
11-11-2007, 02:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.