PDA

View Full Version : Big problem with Mental Ray, was using 4 gig to render scene, now shot to over 8

ciff
09-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi,
Not many folks at autodesk at the mo, and i really need some help on this , have a large scene, like 3.5 mil polly, using Gi and Final gather (i know, asking for trouble) but the file was working ok this morning, not changed much since then, but when i try to render i'm getting the same problem i had the other day, where maya looks like its batching out the files ok, starts with about 3 gig of ram used (running a BOXX Dual Quad core with 8 Gig of ram and Maya 2008) then goes up to 4, where it normally gives out the %rendering done, puts a 1 k file where the frame is to be saved and slowly renders it with a steady 4 maybe 5 max, gig of ram. At the moment tho, well, for the last 4 hours, its getting to the 4 gig mark, and the % render done, pops up, but the ram slowly crawls up to 10 Gig! with no 1k file saved down, and its not getting above 0% done, and with the ram that high, the cpu goes from a steady 100% to all over the place. Did this lastnight, but a restart fixed it, did it again this morn, again, a shutdown and a restart and it seemed to play again, but no luck this time, no errors reported in the output, so no idea why its acting like this. Anyone seen this happen before, had the same thing with it in maya 8.5, so don't think its a 2008 thing. Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreceated. Cheers, Chris.

SanjayChand
09-16-2007, 08:33 AM
are you rendering in passes?

ciff
09-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Hi,
Nope, rendering in a single pass, it does have a master layer and a matte layer come to think of it, as i had to use a matte on a book in the scene for one of the cameras. Could this be an issue? Cheers

ciff
09-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Hey Jay,
U quite possibly saved my ass, lol, got rid of the render layer, the book matte, so the master layer dissapered also, no render layers, set render off, and its working! yaaay. lol. Would it be that thats making the photon calculation go crazy tho? wierd. Just gotta hope the other shots are gonna work also. L8rs, Chris.

ciff
09-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Arrrh, tried deleting render layer form a slightley newer file, needed to render the exteriour, and its fallen over again, deleted all objects that weren't visable, only a 110 meg file now, still big, but better than 200+ that it was, and no luck, goes from using 1.5 gig to over 9. Help please, i need some sleep! lol, Cheers, Chris.

ciff
09-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Arrrh, tried deleting render layer form a slightley newer file, needed to render the exteriour, and its fallen over again, deleted all objects that weren't visable, only a 110 meg file now, still big, but better than 200+ that it was, and no luck, goes from using 1.5 gig to over 9. Help please, i need some sleep! lol, Cheers, Chris.

SanjayChand
09-24-2007, 01:48 AM
Hi there.

Did you try rendering the shadows, diffuse, GI, all as seperate passes?

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2007, 01:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.