PDA

View Full Version : Joint flip ik problem

ojcruz
09-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Hello everyone. I am somewhat new to rigging and I am having a bit of trouble with Ik handles. It might be something very simple but I haven't found a way to fix it. I set up an Ik handle for my character's leg and the knee is bending the way it's supposed to but the foot starts spinning when I move the handle in any direction. Why does this happen? Can anyone tell me?

ErikSvensson
09-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Sounds like its a joint orientation problem. Could you post an example scene? always create your skeleton in front / side / top view. (mostly side, at least for legs, torso and head, then adjust them in front view and create arms / hands in top view). Try this.

Create 6 joints in side view, like one hip, one thigh, one calf, one ankle one ending bone for the foot and the last "dot" bone on the end. (ignore the commas to make the leg look properly :))

,,,|
,,/
,,\
._/

Like that. then create IK from upper leg -> ankle, one from ankle -> "dot". if you choose to make the IK sticky, make sure you set a key on frame zero, i think its an IK-bug when you are using sticky, if you're not setting a key, it wont be sticky.

Now, try to move the hip, the leg should bend and stay as it is. Try to move one or both IKs, should work as well, no flipping. If you get flipping problems, use the "orient joint" tool that is under skeleton before applying IK, it might help too.

Ask if something is unclear. :thumbsup:

Erik

CGTalk Moderation
09-14-2007, 09:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.