PDA

View Full Version : Maya MentalRay TextureMap Baking

Gísli
09-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Hi.

I've just been offered a job position at a Video Game company. pretty excited about that :)

I'll be baking shaders and lightning onto the enviroments. I've never done that before and am getting a bit puzzled. I can make decent looking images in mental ray using both mentalray and Maya shaders. I'm wondering how far can I take the baking.

Will I be able to create a complex GI/FG scene in Mr and bake it to a texturemap so it'll look (almost) exacly the same? Somehow I doubt that. What are my limitations, and can anyone give me an idea on how to how to get the best resault.

I can bake occlution and shadows/light (up to a point) without much problems but it's the color and reflection that's a problem.

Lets say I create a glass sphere to be a bit extreem. It will offcource show a displanced image of the backround and a reflection. Should these 2x attributes be rendered out seperetly or is there some magic button that you press to get it to look exacly like your output render :)

Any insight would be appriciated.

Regards,
Gísli

techmage
09-13-2007, 08:43 PM
http://www.evasion3d.com/mw_mr_intro.html

theres that thing.... but ive never used it

Turtle has really good baking functionality.

Gísli
09-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Hi.

Thank you for your reply.

I was however wondering if there was a possibility to do this from within Mental Ray. My resaults are getting better but I still get the feeling that I'm doing this wrong.

Regards,
Gísli

joit
09-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Lets say I create a glass sphere to be a bit extreem. It will offcource show a displanced image of the backround and a reflection. Should these 2x attributes be rendered out seperetly or is there some magic button that you press to get it to look exacly like your output render :)
Gísli

Hi, there is no magic button (as far as i know) but you can check "orthogal reflection" in the bake set's attributes. This renders the reflections into the texture as if the object was looked at from all sides at once. That works well with rather diffuse materials. With a glass sphere I'd prefer to render out a separate reflection map (from the glass sphere's point of view). In the game engine's material you should be able to use that texture as environment map / reflection map.

CGTalk Moderation
09-14-2007, 04:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.