PDA

View Full Version : screamernet won't load scenes

skortch
04-04-2003, 01:52 AM
Any ideas why screamernet will sometimes load and render a scene and other times will stall while attempting to load an almost identical scene? Like, the only differences between the two might be the range of frames or maybe a model or two deleted? This is true both on the local machine and the render slave, also true using Lightnet. The scene will render fine with F10. (I did notice screamernet changes the scene file suffix to .lns when it tries to load - is that normal?)

The computers are two 2.4-2.66ghz P4s connected via ethernet. I'm pretty sure I have all the configs, directories, and mapped drives correct and functioning. The two computers are able to see each other and copy files fine. I've gone through a bunch of tutorials on screamernet, to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks - Mark

skortch
04-04-2003, 03:50 AM
OK, I think it might be working now, thanks to the umpteenth re-install and using this tutorial, specifically the .bat technique:
http://www.ironsquid.com/sntut65/

Hopefully I'll come in and the whole render list will be finished... that would be... so... very... cool... and all would be rosy between me and Lightwave once again.

skortch
04-04-2003, 08:36 PM
Well, the render que still stalled last night but I got keyed into the fix this morning. It's the dreaded spreadsheet bug...

I fixed it by opening each .lws in notepad and deleting the extra references to the spreadsheet master plug or whatever it's called. Fortunately, they're all near the top of the text file, so not hard to find. Nasty, nasty bug, you go squat now.

Samizdat
04-04-2003, 11:37 PM
Spreadsheet bug? Is there anywhere I can look to read more about this?

I actually just had the same problem, and was pulling my hair out in frustration. The project, of course, just finished (Murphy's Law), but I would love to know how to avoid it the next time.

Thanks...

3DDave
04-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Go to the Layout button and find the menu item for master plugins, this lists all of the masterplugins (such as spreadsheet, G2 and Keytrak) that are loading in the scene. Delete the Spreadsheet one and save.

Samizdat
04-05-2003, 12:09 AM
I never would have guessed that one in a million years. Thanks a lot. Will *any* master plugin cause Screamernet to hang, or is it just spreadsheet?

Thanks...

skortch
04-05-2003, 02:43 AM
I can't remember where I saw the answer - it was either here, the newtek site forum, or the yahoo group. Do a search for spreadsheet (plus maybe "bug", "crash", or "screamernet") and it should come up.

Again, I opened the .lws scene file in notepad and deleted the extra instances - if you open it you'll see what I'm talking about. As far as I know spreadsheet is the only culprit, but don't quote me on that.

Stoehr
09-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by skortch
I can't remember where I saw the answer - it was either here, the newtek site forum, or the yahoo group. Do a search for spreadsheet (plus maybe "bug", "crash", or "screamernet") and it should come up.

Again, I opened the .lws scene file in notepad and deleted the extra instances - if you open it you'll see what I'm talking about. As far as I know spreadsheet is the only culprit, but don't quote me on that.

Sorry to dredge up an old post, but this is a great tip. I was having the "screamernet-gets-stuck-on-load-thing". I had deleted all Scraemernet master plugins, but they were still in the scene file when edited with Notepad. So I deleted them, and all is fine now.

Wow, great, thanks Skortch! This saved me some headaches.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.