PDA

View Full Version : Gamma correct rendering and Broadcast Spec

modernPrimitive
09-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Hi all,

I've just done a job using the Mental Ray gamma workflow as discussed in this forum, with Gamma correct nodes on input textures and a mia lens with gamma 2.2, famebuffer set to gamma 1.

For the first time my renders look vibrant instead of the dull old washed out grey they used to be however I'm having serious level problem on the Vectroscope and on our broadcast monitor in the suite.

Part of the reason was perhaps that I got 2 brand new LCD screens and they haven't been calibrated yet.

Now the question is - do I calibrate the LCDs according to Adobe gamma 1998 (2.2)?
I previously had an old Sun monitor with a sony tube which is the same as the one's they use in their broadcast monitors and I managed to partially calibrate it to a PAL broadcast spec and the results were always great in terms of being in spec and looking good on monitors and TV sets.

We do have a suite with a broadcast monitor for doing final comps in where levels can be adjusted but we do alot of the comping ourselves and in the final comp, the saturation and contrast had to lowered so much that it looked terrible.

Any ideas on a good workflow around this issue?

DrYo
09-14-2007, 05:02 AM
All I can say is this... when I used to do video production animation, I never bothered with trying to calibrate the computer monitor... instead I had a broadcast reference monitor connected to the computer via a video framebuffer. That was a completely WYSIWYG solution. If you are doing broadcast work every day, I would strongly suggest getting a broadcast monitor on your desktop. You can also get software to emulate a waveform monitor and vectorscope.

thehive
09-14-2007, 07:24 PM
yea what Dr Yo said would be hard to simulate that on a LCD

nsb
09-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Hi all,

I've just done a job using the Mental Ray gamma workflow as discussed in this forum, with Gamma correct nodes on input textures and a mia lens with gamma 2.2, famebuffer set to gamma 1.

Hi,

Could you link me to the thread that this workflow is discussed?

DrYo
09-16-2007, 07:39 PM
BTW, it's easier than ever to set up a broadcast monitor nowadays. Most professional and "prosumer" video cards worth their salt have analog component outputs built in.

sixbysixx
09-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Hi,

Could you link me to the thread that this workflow is discussed?

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=452901&page=14&pp=15

This thread is a bit of a mess - I think things resolve a bit more towards the end of it...

CGTalk Moderation
09-17-2007, 11:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.