PDA

View Full Version : Displacement + RenderLayers

grantmoore3d
09-13-2007, 07:19 AM
Okay, I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out exactly how to allow the displacement map on my character to be used with render layers such as occlusion.

I tried simply adding the map to the occlusion shadar as the displacement, but then it affects all of my other objects in the scene. I also tried to create two occlusion shadars, one with displacement and one without, but it seems that when you add the displacement it gets added further down in the shading network.... I'm kinda new to that whole concept, so I'm not realy sure what I'm doing wrong.

If anyone has an answer, I would greatly appreciat it! I'm trying to get a render finished in a day so I can show my portfolio to a professor so I can get a credit! Thanks!!

grantmoore3d
09-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Okay, I managed to find the answer... after hours of searching I found a couple posts on here that explained how to do it. All I needed was the key word "shader" in my search and BAM there was my answer, ARG!!! And it's so simple. Here's how I did it :

1) Create a render layer with the objects you want in it
2) Remove the Material Override (right click on the layer to find that)
3) Create a Blinn
4) Make the Blinn all black
5) Create a mib_amb_occ texture (found under mental ray nodes / texture )
6) Connect the mib_amb_occ into the incandescence of the Blinn material
7) Tweak the mib_amb_occ until it looks right
8) Duplicate steps 4-7 (or re-use the same mib_amb_occ for each blinn) but then add the displacement map as usual, creating a seperate Blinn for each object that requires a different displacement map

Sorry if my steps don't make sense, I have a hard time explaining thing... for more information, here are the two threads that I found to explain this process:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=7&t=505350&highlight=shader+override

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=7&t=416718&highlight=shader+override

ghib
11-11-2007, 04:08 PM
hi grantmoore3d,

Thanks, nice of you to pass on the info that you gained from your searches. Too often you find these dead posts and are unsure whether the person found an answer or not.

This has helped answer the self same question I had.

gagiu
02-25-2008, 05:33 PM
thanks a lot. I was having the same problem. Your search helped me too.
cheers!
gagiu

Bitter
02-27-2008, 12:06 AM
Apply the ambient occlusion shader to the Shading Group, mental ray tab>material

The displacement runs, the material becomes the ambient occlusion. The previous method is more complicated and you may accidentally add Blinn shading on top of the occlusion.

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2008, 12:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.