PDA

View Full Version : making footsteps

Chris
04-03-2003, 11:49 PM
I've got a conundrum & was wondering if anyone here had some ideas. I'm animating a character who is made from ink, walking across a piece of paper. I want him to leave inky footprints. So far I've rendered out a top view, & clipped it so I've got a black & white mask of his footprints walking across the screen. The problem is, as he walks along, the footprints dissappear (as they are only there when his feet intersect a plane at any given moment). What I'm trying to do is have every bit of ink that appears stay there, without disappearing.

Now I could make a couple of hundred copies of the layer, set the source footage's end point to frame 1 on layer 1, frame 2 on layer 2, frame 3 on layer 3 etc & set the footage to 'Hold Last Frame' & use a transfer mode to get what I want - but that will probably grind C* to a halt (the frames are 1.5K). What i essentially need is one of those 'hall of time' effects like from the seventies, but without the time delayed copies of the layer disappearing...

Phred42
04-04-2003, 12:58 AM
If the shot is locked-off (which I'm assuming it is, given that you're talking about duping the sequence 1000 times and offsetting), you could combine a few frames from the footprint animation into a big still with all of the footprints on it. Then, use a gmask to wipe them on as the character walks across the page.
HTH!

boomji
04-04-2003, 07:09 PM
hey chris,
not sure if i'm visualizing this correctly
if u were animating with a biped or another rig could you not make a copy of the rig just for the feet and delay the footsteps and render that out as a seperate pass...but i guess u've already rendered 2k so u dont want back.
dhuhhh sorry i couldn't b much help.afx has a time remapper does it not work in c2 ???.

b

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.