PDA

View Full Version : MR render layers

MAV4d
09-12-2007, 08:33 PM
so im having trouble with Render layerse, IE maya sending them directly to render thru softwear...

is there any tutorials or any suggestions on how to get the layers to work with MR

or should i just use Ctrl. buffers :D

btw im using MIA material heavily

thanks!

-Mike

MAV4d
09-23-2007, 01:28 AM
.... thanks for all the help

slipknot66
09-23-2007, 01:37 AM
Are you using render override?

MAV4d
09-23-2007, 04:48 PM
yes ive tried using overrides, it just reverts back to the normal pass

ive tried for about 6 hrs yesterday to figure out ctrl buffers, trying to sift throught that 45 pages of information is almost impossible, you would think ctrl would make some how toos or keep their video tutorials up on a site other than ...rapid share...

its really frustrating

mr Bob
09-24-2007, 02:58 AM
Render layers in maya are a joke ..... Ive just done a project using maya and MR with render layers and all I can say is never again.

Handy tips would be

Dont use surface shaders , use a lambert with all the values set to zero
Dont add group nodes , only select the geometry you want in the layer
Be careful with your model as objects with the same name break layers this includes the shape nodes so ctrl + D special is a must
MR shaders , drag them onto a lambert materials shading group(MR section) if you want a correct alpha.
My final tip is ditch using maya and use Houdini, as you can go straight from Houdini to MR and Renderman and render passes without issues and if anything breaks you can inform Sidefx and it gets fixed

B

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2007, 02:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.